unsure of what to buy, help?!

mindmischief

I originally wanted to ludwig neusonics but I keep seeing bad things about them. I wanna explore into vintage sets or new/used sets if there's something good there. I have a 1200 USD budget, I found some 60s ludwig club date that fit my budget. Anything else in my budget worth looking into? I'd like to stay in the ludwig family but I've also taken an interest in dw. Also side question, if I stick with a vintage set like the club date, what hardware would be better on it, atlas pro/classic or tama iron cobras 900? other hardware worth looking into, dw stuff maybe?

Mustion

You'll be even more unsure after posing this question here... get ready for fifty posts with fifty different answers!

What negatives have you heard about the Neusonics? I have heard that people kind of love them or hate them.

mindmischief

You'll be even more unsure after posing this question here... get ready for fifty posts with fifty different answers!

What negatives have you heard about the Neusonics? I have heard that people kind of love them or hate them.
I've heard things like the hardware and wraps cheap and shitty. the hoops are weak and flimsy, apparently they're not worth the price or so im told. I've never sat down with them in person but a lot of people echoing that sentiment made me doubt my purchase so i decided to look into vintage sets and modern used sets to get the best bang for my buck.

Mustion

As long as you can check it out and know what things to look for, I wholeheartedly support buying used: kits, hardware, and especially cymbals.

What type of music do you play? What vibe are you looking for in a kit? Will you be gigging with it or mostly playing at home? It's a big stretch between DW and vintage Luddies (which have their own QC issues as it is).

mindmischief

As long as you can check it out and know what things to look for, I wholeheartedly support buying used: kits, hardware, and especially cymbals.

What type of music do you play? What vibe are you looking for in a kit? Will you be gigging with it or mostly playing at home? It's a big stretch between DW and vintage Luddies (which have their own QC issues as it is).
I've always had low end/ beginner kits so i wanted to step it up to something with quality. I dont plan to gig as I just jam at home with my guitarist but a lighter kits is what I like. Mostly to like to play psychedelic rock but i'd like to learn jazz. I like smaller kits, especially with 20 bass drum. whats your experience with buy used cymbals?

Mustion

Let the Yamaha Stage Customs tidal wave begin.
Haha, for real. But with good reason! I was getting ready to suggest it but thought I'd sound like a broken record...

That said, OP why don't you check out some vintage Slingerlands? Especially if you want a 20" kick and are into jazz and psych rock.

Mustion

And as for used cymbals, it's obviously most ideal if you can see them in person but I've rolled the dice many times and bought online. Unless you're super discerning about sound, just make sure the listing assures that there are no structural issues (cracks, dents, etc) and it's generally a good way to go.

mindmischief

i really, really prefer a 20" kick but i started eyeing a tama starclassic performer bb with a 22" virgin kick. I might settle there but ill look at the yamaha that was suggested here.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a set of new Ludwig Club dates. You might check out some used Club dates but get the ones with Imperial lugs. The club date SE'S with the Bowtie lugs are imported. The newer Ludwig Club dates with Imperial lugs are made in the USA. You can probably find a used set of those in your budget. There's a 3-piece she'll pack in my neck of the woods right now for $1,100.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Vintage is often a good way to go, but you must hear the drums in person first. Don't rely on descriptions from a stranger on ebay or Reverb. All sorts of things can happen to a shell and the edges over time and with mis-handling, so you really don't know what you're getting even if the photos look great. And I hate to say it, but Ludwig's mid-'60s output - 1964-67 or so - was very inconsistent due to high manufacturing volume (thanks Ringo!) There are good drums, and bad drums. The only way to be sure is to hear them. That actually goes for all brands, but mid-'60s Ludwigs were all over the map.

BTW, I love the Neusonics, best bang for the buck if you want a US-made kit regardless of brand.

Bermuda

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Does your $1200 include cymbals? You need to budget a minimum of $400 for cymbals, or $500 if you are getting all 3 (hihats, crash, and ride). Budget at least $150 for a decent snare.