Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

I also find jazz pretty boring......and after reading some posts here, I can tell it's not as unpopular as I thought!!!......As a drummer I almost feel like I'm obliged to like it and I can appreciate all the technique required but it makes me yawn.

I guess my most unpopular opinion is that I think Ringo is nothing but an average drummer at best.
I agree that he was a good fit for the Beatles and the band ended up being the most popular of all times, but that doesn't make Ringo one of the best drummers as he's always considered in the magazine polls.

...I don't stuff a lot of junk in my kick drums...

That actually made me think of another one. It seems like there's some snobbery online with people that play their bass drums wide open. Please don't take that wrong, alparrott. I swear I'm not singling you out or anything. You said it nicely. LOL... Some people take it farther and insinuate people don't know how to tune if they like pillows in their bass drum.

But anyway, in real life, I see muffling in every bass drum being used. I personally can't stand a wide open bass drum for any type of rock music, so I use slight muffling myself. I tried to like wide open, but just can't. It's an undefined low end rumbling mess in any rock situation I've been in.

Chris

That actually made me think of another one. It seems like there's some snobbery online with people that play their bass drums wide open. Please don't take that wrong, alparrott. I swear I'm not singling you out or anything. You said it nicely. LOL... Some people take it farther and insinuate people don't know how to tune if they like pillows in their bass drum.

But anyway, in real life, I see muffling in every bass drum being used. I personally can't stand a wide open bass drum for any type of rock music, so I use slight muffling myself. I tried to like wide open, but just can't. It's an undefined low end rumbling mess in any rock situation I've been in.

Chris

every time a play another drummers kit, its full of something in the bass drum. they all sound good to me. I like mine wide open but, I use a tight reso and have a superkick 2 with that muffle ring on the inside so its not boingy. the reason for unstuffing my own bass drum came at a gig when another drummer played my kit. I couldn't hear the bass drum when he hit the crashes. He said the same to me. sitting behind the kit, it sounded ok, but there was no volume projection out the front. (Un-micd)

I think learning trad grip is a waste of time.

I don't like cover bands for the most part.

You're not a true artist unless you are doing covers your own way or creating original music.
Just because you're a great drummer doesn't mean you're a great artist.

Ringo and Lars are awesome drummers who created original music for all of you to copy.

- I still like the sound of a piccolo snare after the year 2002.

- I feel that the proliferation of the "gravity blast" technique has, for the most part been worse for creativity in metal than it has made it better.

- If you're an amazing drummer, but playing particularly bad fusion music that sounds like Sonic the Hedgehog is checking the local on the 9's, I will probably never bother watching a video of your playing again. Dunno why, I just get upset by this.

- I will never trust or like the look of drum racks for some reason. Give me heavy, individual stands.

- Never liked Dave Weckl's playing too much. Sorry.

I hate and detest Zildjian Ks. I have heard better sounding dustbin lids.

How about that then?

I think we have a winner!

Any last wishes before you're hung, drawn and quartered?

I'll start off with one that'll be fighting words for some of you:

I think Neil Peart is boring. He is technically impressive, but he lacks something... I really can't describe what.

I've tried countless albums and have constantly been turned off by his stuff.

Yeah man, I 100% agree with that.

Watching the Memphis Drum Shop videos...and other places I hear it....I am sick of dead splat drum tuning. Every great kit sounds pretty much the same, there's no personality.

I really hate "Drumeo" and all that "be a successful drummer in four days CALL NOW" s**t.

A waste of time, energy, money.

Face to face teaching, that's the true for me.

Better if my teacher is Claudia Schieffer.

1. Drummers are at the bottom of the food chain because drums are the easiest instrument to play.

2. For the most part, gear and technique is boring.

3. Discussion about pro drummers is even more boring.

Why start this thread. If I don't like something I ignore it. If you cant say something nice, don't say anything.

Mainly because discussion forums are made for, well, discussion...

And I can only read/talk about hand technique and John Bonham's snare tuning so many times. Figured it seemed like an out-of-the-box concept to bring up to a forum that is known for it's broad perspectives and experienced members.

I don't understand a single damn thing about jazz

I can't play it

I seem to hit a brick wall when I listen to it

I can't join in any conversations about jazz

Yeah, to me its boring as well....based on my jealousy and ignorance

I think that is the honest explanation of why I struggle w/ jazz too. I can appreciate the standards, but when those guys start messing around in 11/19 time and running their mixophrygian scale my head starts to hurt.

One of the reasons I became a cop is,I don't like bullies,and I don't like passive/ aggressive behavior,when it's directed at a weaker personality,or at myself..Weak, is something I'm not,and I won't tolerate insults and outright character assinations on an open forum.I refuse to stick my head in the sand,and just go away or surrender.Respect must be earned.

I also became a cop,to fight for others,who couldn't fight for themselves.When you brag about having the ability to get others banned from a forum,...someone needs to give to a dose of reality.Others sit back,and do nothing.

I do on to others ,as they do on to me.I'll remain civil,beyond the norm,but I'll only tolerate agressivness to a point,and then,all bets are off.

I also don't understand some peoples thinking that opinion is either right or wrong,and ONLY, their opinion is always right.It's an opinion,some are more informed,and well constructed that others,but the TRUTH...is grey,not black and white.

I tolerated Stick4drums,while he was here,all 7 or 8 times,and even supported him.That fact is proven out by my posts.

In the end....he needs to learn tolerance himself,and that giving, and respect are a TWO way street.If and when that day comes,I'll be first in line to shake his hand,and call him ..friend.

Back OT,I think if we look at the drummers we admire,we also have to take a good look at the drummers that influenced ..them.Lots of pros,like Portnoy,Bissonette,and our own Bermuda construct their own drum parts,with Ringo(or as I call him,Swingo) in mind,and have said so in print.There has to be reason ,other than just the Beatles ,for that.

At some time,any particular drummer,or music that we didn't like at a certain time,needs to be revisited.Our tasts are transient,and what our ears like,will change over time.Never nail the coffin shut.

Steve B

Steve B

I'm really confused. Who is Sticks4Drums?

MY opinion is that the panning of established successful pro-level drummers (Ringo, Peart, Lars....) by DW members is a ridiculous forum activity.
WHY I believe that is because it is unconstructive, disrespectful and mostly reflects an insecurity on the part of other drummers.

Yep ....
If someone's music or drumming is not your cup of tea, it's okay to express that. To make personal insults or attacks, different story.

I hate my 6 piece dw collectors, only 6 months old too.

Lol, I hear ya. I bought a set on reputation, plus I had recently heard a set of them miced up that sounded great. I didn't hate mine, but they didn't inspire either. For the $5800.00 I paid I was hoping I was buying at least a little inspiration, right?

They never really made me go wow I love the tone. Too much metal mass negates the nice thin shell. I use collector lugs as my boat anchor, true story lol.

Lol, I hear ya. I bought a set on reputation, plus I had recently heard a set of them miced up that sounded great. I didn't hate mine, but they didn't inspire either. For the $5800.00 I paid I was hoping I was buying at least a little inspiration, right?

They never really made me go wow I love the tone. Too much metal mass negates the nice thin shell. I use collector lugs as my boat anchor, true story lol.

Drums are scary to buy. I almost always get a touch of buyer's remorse. Maybe it's because I purchase with emotion in mind, I'm not sure. No test ride, (if I could jam with a band before purchase I'd be so happy).

I've heard DW's sound great before, but I've also been in Guitar Center's where they're the worst sounding kit on the showroom.

Just the fact that "unpopular drumming opinions" and the negativity that entire statement holds....and the fact it was started on Reddit speaks volumes about the camaraderie that is lost and AWOL by that community (except on /r/drumming, where I'm a mod and seek to further a sense of family)

Drummers are fraternity. Always have been, always will be. Except on that subreddit /r/drums. You've got a megalomaniac running the show who will shut you down when he feels like it and that's not how drummers are in real life.

Drummers are fraternity. There, I said it again. If you think otherwise then chances are you're not a drummer. We look after our peeps.

I experience the exact opposite over there. This isn't the first time I've heard about that mod though. I honestly just find myself intimidated by this forum sometimes. If I need serious advice, I come here. If I just want to talk shop, I go there because I find it much more laid back

I think that the "unpopular drumming opinion" can be taken exactly how you want to take it. Some guys will see it as a massive s$$t stirring fest, and some will say "oh cool, lets see what people think".

Back