Unknown drummers with a huge talent..

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
I thought to start a thread about hugely talented drummers, who for some reason still have kinda little followers, attention or views on social media or otherwise..

Reason is, by accident i came across this guy on Instagram..

The name..: Dhoruba Shakur..

For some inexplicable reason only like 3000 followers on Instagram, about 200-500 views each video and almost nothing to be found on YT..

Well, i would say, kinda unfair, to say the least..

Anyway, i think i will keep this thread updated every now and then, but all other members..: feel free to share your examples too.!:)

These are just some random examples, all his other videos are completely amazing too..

This is assuming that great talent = notoriety. As history has shown us, the two do NOT go hand-in-hand. And this was even dictated to us via Steve Cropper of Booker T. And MGs. I would say I’ve met so many talented people that nobody knows in my travels, that there must be something else holding them back. And sure enough, that’s when I find out that a lot of talented people are great on stage, but there’s something about them that doesn’t make you want to hang with them the other 22 hours of the day (because that’s just how this works). You can be awesome, but you need people to wave your flag by not only liking your playing, but are willing to vouch that you’re a good person to do business with.

probably a “well duh Bo” statement, but that’s how I’ve seen it happen. I am fully aware there are people who refuse to like me, which is why I have another career too.

I'll echo Bo's sentiments. You meet some insanely talented players on your musical journey. During your studies is the the best examples and it's always because they think they're gods gift but won't put their ego to one side, it usually involves:

A) Not playing for the song
B) Refusing to play something because it's 'beneath' them

It's a recipe for never getting hired and a lesson they learn the hard way.

The other thing is that you need a massive slice of luck and to be in the right place at the right time. If anyone knows of directions to the right place and could tell me the right time to show up I'd be very grateful!

I firmly believe there's thousands of amazing unknown drummers out there who just keep their heads down and work their backsides off.

Stumbled across these guys on Spotify on the way to a gig the other day. All shit hot players but relatively unknown too!

If only I was willing to sell my soul to instatwitface I could see these things. Oh well.
Stumbled across these guys on Spotify on the way to a gig the other day. All shit hot players but relatively unknown too!
YouTube pushed them into my feed, a collaboration with them and Cory Wong. Those guys are really good.

The only thing this thread was/is about, is to just post some examples of very skilled drummers who for some reason have little attention on the social media, etc..

The 2 guys i posted untill now, in reality also seem to be quite busy (like: busy as in working) players btw..

And yes, i know i know i know about..: money beat, being a nice guy, getting hired, money in the bank, getting hired, money in general, people have to like you, people have to know you, again money in the bank, getting hired a lot, running to the bank to get your money, gospel chops will not bring you money, get hired even more and just play the f***ng money beat while being a nice guy, etc..

Trust me, i know about that and all my paid gigs are about that..

But that was not wat this thread was/is about..

For some reason, always when technically skilled people are posted on this drummers (!) forum, some people immediately go into “money beat”- or “(not) getting hired”-mode..

A while ago there was also a thread about Gianluca Pellerito, insanely talented guy, not that well-known at the time (allthough i think on social media and among insiders he was), and also about him there were reactions like..: “but can he play M. Sally..?”, “just chops” and even the ridiculous..: “has bad posture and i have a better left hand than him”..

Well, in the meantime the guy has 4-5 own projects going on and played with..:

Peter Erskine, Alex Acuna, Incognito, Bluey Maunick, Fiorello, Emil Richards, Jim Mullen, Matthew Cooper, Kevin Robinson, Julian Crampton, Jamie Anderson, Alistair White, Mo Brandis, Imaani Saleem, Intra, Franco Cerri, Vanessa Haynes, Giorgio Rosciglione, Francesco Cafiso, High Five Quintet, Michael Rosen, Jason Rebello, Karl Rasheed Abel, Paul Stacey, Alfredo Paixao, Francesco Poeti, Gigi Cifarelli, Nick the Nightfly, Dirotta Su Cuba, Jazz Siciliana, Berklee College Group, Francesco Puglisi, Sade Mangiaracina, Luca Meneghello, Rossano Gentili, Faso, Christian Meyer, Luca Mannutza, Lorenzo Tucci, Pietro Ciancaglini, Giuseppe Milici, Gianni Cavallaro, Daniele Comoglio, Sandro De Bellis, Daniele Coro, Davide Ghidoni, Andrea Pollione..

Among others, and counting, that is…………..

Not fitting the thread, because not that unknown anymore, but here he is, showing off a little a few months ago..

With his bad posture and weak left hand…lol….

Aaron Holler is a technical worker whose busy sound is controlled and tight, who I admire.

He is a Tejano genre hired gun who excels in versatility by performing session and live who earns great spots.

Last edited:
The only thing this thread was/is about, is to just post some examples of very skilled drummers who for some reason have little attention on the social media, etc..

The 2 guys i posted untill now, in reality also seem to be quite busy (like: busy as in working) players btw..

And yes, i know i know i know about..: money beat, being a nice guy, getting hired, money in the bank, getting hired, money in general, people have to like you, people have to know you, again money in the bank, getting hired a lot, running to the bank to get your money, gospel chops will not bring you money, get hired even more and just play the f***ng money beat while being a nice guy, etc..

Trust me, i know about that and all my paid gigs are about that..

But that was not wat this thread was/is about..

For some reason, always when technically skilled people are posted on this drummers (!) forum, some people immediately go into “money beat”- or “(not) getting hired”-mode..

A while ago there was also a thread about Gianluca Pellerito, insanely talented guy, not that well-known at the time (allthough i think on social media and among insiders he was), and also about him there were reactions like..: “but can he play M. Sally..?”, “just chops” and even the ridiculous..: “has bad posture and i have a better left hand than him”..

Well, in the meantime the guy has 4-5 own projects going on and played with..:

Peter Erskine, Alex Acuna, Incognito, Bluey Maunick, Fiorello, Emil Richards, Jim Mullen, Matthew Cooper, Kevin Robinson, Julian Crampton, Jamie Anderson, Alistair White, Mo Brandis, Imaani Saleem, Intra, Franco Cerri, Vanessa Haynes, Giorgio Rosciglione, Francesco Cafiso, High Five Quintet, Michael Rosen, Jason Rebello, Karl Rasheed Abel, Paul Stacey, Alfredo Paixao, Francesco Poeti, Gigi Cifarelli, Nick the Nightfly, Dirotta Su Cuba, Jazz Siciliana, Berklee College Group, Francesco Puglisi, Sade Mangiaracina, Luca Meneghello, Rossano Gentili, Faso, Christian Meyer, Luca Mannutza, Lorenzo Tucci, Pietro Ciancaglini, Giuseppe Milici, Gianni Cavallaro, Daniele Comoglio, Sandro De Bellis, Daniele Coro, Davide Ghidoni, Andrea Pollione..

Among others, and counting, that is…………..

Not fitting the thread, because not that unknown anymore, but here he is, showing off a little a few months ago..

With his bad posture and weak left hand…lol….

I looked that above clip now a few times again….and….from 2.50-2.55……i mean…..what a completely insane (and highly musical in my opinion) way to get into the groove again that is……

my only beef about the whole thing is...Dua Lippa...🤮

but seriously...I am 100% about chops/speed/fast/technical playing - hell I proudly got into drumming because of metal, punk and drum corps - but in this case, this is absolute overplaying....

maybe one fill like what he is using is fine...in this case...but, it just becomes over the top after a while....just like 3 hours (or sometimes 3 minutes) of money beat is over the top boring

and I can think of many, many legendary drummers who were also over the top busy, but they get a pass because of their "legendary status"...and probably gained that status from being over the top

I think it is about choosing your battles...

to me, this song is a little more "even" in the use of groove, and "show-off" fills:

I think "Herb" found a great mix of "money beat" and fill craziness in this song...especially the beginning...I mean, who, other than Dave Brubeck via Joe Morello, could make 11/4 have a sick groove

so I get what you are saying in the whole jist of the thread, but the guy in the Dua Lippa video reminds me of my younger students who have found a little fill "device" and then put it everywhere <--- that is usually the one thing that makes me come out of the band office to tell them top stop playing. And then they do it all the time to piss me off

I'll echo Bo's sentiments. You meet some insanely talented players on your musical journey. During your studies is the the best examples and it's always because they think they're gods gift but won't put their ego to one side, it usually involves:

The other thing is that you need a massive slice of luck and to be in the right place at the right time. If anyone knows of directions to the right place and could tell me the right time to show up I'd be very grateful!

I firmly believe there's thousands of amazing unknown drummers out there who just keep their heads down and work their backsides off.

To further echo this, my College jazz teacher (who came from having played and toured with Woody Herman’s Thundering Herd and also with Maynard Ferguson) relayed a Maynard story of how Maynard was trying to break in to the LA studio scene in the 60s, and showed up late to a session once. He didn’t get called again for three years - which probably explains why he stuck to band leading and release all those records....

That's Cory Wong-i've been srhedding Turbo. That singer nails Michael Jackson songs. Great songs/fantastic band.

Really enjoy Torres style. Fantastic feel!

In passing I would not say that my countrymen in Dirty Loops are "relatively unknown". Under Quincy Jones wings, Stevie Wonder is a huge fan, they have toured all over the world, Henrik Linder doing clinics and recording with Garstka and Djangirov in "GEM". Dirty Loops have been huge for at least the past five years.

In passing I would not say that my countrymen in Dirty Loops are "relatively unknown". Under Quincy Jones wings, Stevie Wonder is a huge fan, they have toured all over the world, Henrik Linder doing clinics and recording with Garstka and Djangirov in "GEM". Dirty Loops have been huge for at least the past five years.

Outside of musician circles I'd say they are relatively unknown compared to their talent, just how the music industry is nowadays. I haven't been able to put them down. Never knocking Spotify again!

Unless you stumble upon them you wouldn't find them. Would you know anything about them if you weren't a musician? Probably not and that's a big shame. It's very hard to buy any kind of physical media of them which is what I do if I like something. It's like 80s session players on steroids, I love it!

King Fowley (Deceased, October 31, ex-Abominog)
Tino LoSicco (Epoch of Unlight)
Rob Alaniz (Noctuary, Winterthrall, Anger As Art)
Tim Haisman (ex-False Prophet, ex-Bloodwritten (studio), Leadfoot)

King Fowley (Deceased, October 31, ex-Abominog)
Tino LoSicco (Epoch of Unlight)
Rob Alaniz (Noctuary, Winterthrall, Anger As Art)
Tim Haisman (ex-False Prophet, ex-Bloodwritten (studio), Leadfoot)

sweet...just followed all of these...cool to find new, (to me) underground stuff

and t his thread totally reminded me of my latest inspiration...

Luana Dametto from Crypta

she is probably more well known now than a year ago when I first heard of her...

Not sure how I missed Anderson .Paak these past few years. Went to see "Shang-Chi" with my daughter and there was a very catchy song during the credits, "Fire in the Sky."

A very talented drummer, producer and singer-songwriter.

1631761999861.png

Back