Unix - Walnut and Maple segmented vintage vibe snare drum

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Wanted to share - a very special package arrived mid week. I've now had an opportunity to play and explore the possibilities of my one of a kind Unix segmented 7x14" black walnut-maple snare. Delivered via Timpano Percussion in Montreal - a great experience there.

A fantastic combination of these tone woods, single-flange hoops, a wonderful sounding instrument in all ranges, playing at a medium tuning. 10 beaver tail lugs and overall vintage vibe. Really a joy to play.

Construction is absolutely flawless and has blown me away. Aesthetically, a beautiful instrument. Edges are like butter, like none I've ever seen or played, steep/45 degree with gradual rounding in both directions for optimal contact.

A few pics.

Attachments

• 218.jpg
    218.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 219.jpg
    219.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 226.jpg
    226.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 225.jpg
    225.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 229
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 224.jpg
    224.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 220.jpg
    220.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 227.jpg
    227.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Very, very nice! That's a keeper.

Wow. Stunning in every way. Looks pretty much as good as it gets. Unix is a strong pull. I 'd get one for sure. Who doesn't love craftsmanship of that level? The non uniform seemingly random maple segments make it utterly unique.

Put me down as requesting that you record your gig and post a song or 3.

I've been gigging my walnut snare lately. It's high overtones are really pleasing. Walnut is a superior wood for bass drums, toms, and snares. I honestly can't think of a tone I like better.

I'm sure you will love that snare to death.

Congrats-that something to be proud of! Very nice selection of an absolutely beautiful snare-put me down for requesting some audio input too. Oh and like that 7 in depth choice-marvelous.

Looks like you have a very special instrument there, hope it serves you well and is everything you was looking for. Would love to hear a sample.

Wow. Stunning in every way. Looks pretty much as good as it gets. Unix is a strong pull. I 'd get one for sure. Who doesn't love craftsmanship of that level? The non uniform seemingly random maple segments make it utterly unique. I'm sure you will love that snare to death.
Thank you, Larry. Master craftsmanship indeed. An artistic composition.

...hope it serves you well and is everything you was looking for.
It does and then some. Thanks.

Congrats-that something to be proud of! Very nice selection of an absolutely beautiful snare-put me down for requesting some audio input too. Oh and like that 7 in depth choice-marvelous.
Thank you, enjoying everything about it.

Beautifully crafted shell, & meticulously finished. Francois always turns out great work!
He does indeed, thanks. I took her out for a ride yesterday - she really delivers.

Francois has come a long way. I have his first snare #001 and another that I commissioned him to build. He is doing excellent work.

F

I'm jealous, Thunder! :) The fit and finish is reminiscent of a finely crafted piano, and the swivel lever throw looks slick. Really like the beefy-ness of it. Play it with passion! Do enjoy my friend!

Back