Unique sound from lotus gong.

That was totally badass

That's one of the most hypnotic sounds ever. Something you could use to open or close a song with, or use during a quiet passage in one of your psychedelic 60s tunes. Or you could just keep it in the backyard and freak the neighbors out chanting strange vowel combinations.

Will somebody PLEASE tell that guy to give it a good whack!

At the .15 second mark the sound put "Dream Weaver" in my head.

Will somebody PLEASE tell that guy to give it a good whack!
Am I the only one who thought that?
Not at all. I have this personal desire to don a boxing glove and punch a gong square in its face. I then want to stand there and be enveloped in its sonic massiveness.

Excellent demonstration of the fundamental and harmonic tones.

I looked at the Grotta Sonora website a little. They make some neat stuff. The gongs are a steel alloy instead of the usual bronze.

One gong is called a "harp gong" - it has harp strings on posts mounted to the gong itself.

Last edited:
I looked at the Grotto Sonora website a little. They make some neat stuff. The gongs are a steel alloy instead of the usual bronze.

One gong is called a "harp gong" - it has harp strings on posts mounted to the gong itself.

They got that sound from steel? Wow. That lotus gong sounds amazing

I just learned that Paiste gongs aren't bronze, either. They use "nickel silver", a.k.a. NS12 – 88% copper, 12% nickel.

I want one so bad. If needed I will get my band to write a song based around that sound haha. It is incredible, and absolutely mesmerising. I could watch that for days.

Back