Uninformed Drummer Dad | Snare Question

"miscomprehension": is that definitely a word? And if so, did you just invent it? :)

While I'd love to label myself a linguistic inventor, I'm afraid "miscomprehension" is already a formal component of our language. An excerpt from the good folks at Merriam-Webster:

miscomprehension: a failure to grasp the nature, significance, or meaning of something: a failure to comprehend : misinterpretation … the conflict has pushed both sides across an unexpected threshold, where they view each other with miscomprehension and suspicion.

"miscomprehension": is that definitely a word? And if so, did you just invent it? :)

While I'd love to label myself a linguistic inventor, I'm afraid "miscomprehension" is already a formal component of our language. An excerpt from the good folks at Merriam-Webster:

miscomprehension: a failure to grasp the nature, significance, or meaning of something: a failure to comprehend : misinterpretation … the conflict has pushed both sides across an unexpected threshold, where they view each other with miscomprehension and suspicion.

Did I just witness a miscomprehension miscomprehension?

There's nothing worse than redundant confusion.
Wasn't that recursive condemnation??? :unsure: Great, now you got me confused...

Anything is better than no hearing protection. I leave a roll of toilet paper close the drums just in case I misplace my Alpine hearing protection (it's also an important last reserve if people start hoarding again). The Alpine model is a lot more comfortable and sounds better of course. You don't feel isolated wearing them. Here's another alternative for about $20 and some more information on the topic:

Merriam Webster? They're doing dictionaries now?
I knew Zigaboo Merriam and Rizzo Webster when they were cutting and shutting write offs out of the railway arches.
Bought one off them once. Terrible. Front end of a Pontiac, back end of a Toyota. Badge read 'Pontiota'. Dictionaries now? Tchoh ?

He seems pretty wel set up.

As many have said, the Renown snare is already a nice drum. It's still nice to have a metal shell when that doesn't work and that's usually more due to venue or how to cut in a specific group than the style of music. A Supraphonic is a drum he will always have use for and if he's into Gretsch a regular 4160 would fit that same bill, to my taste anyway.

He seems pretty well set up.

As many have said, the Renown snare is already a nice drum. It's still nice to have a metal shell when that doesn't work and that's usually more due to venue or how to cut through in a specific group than the style of music. A Supraphonic is a drum he will always have use for and if he's into Gretsch a regular 4160 would fit that same bill, to my taste anyway.

You are a great dad. Welcome to the forum!

A 16" Zildjian K Custom would complete his cymbal setup, honestly he'd really never "need" any other cymbals.

On the other hand, a lot of us like having multiple snare drums for various situations.

I second the recommendation for a Gretsch COB model 4160 (Chrome Over Brass) snare drum. I got my first 4160 in 1992 and used it as my only snare drum until 2008. I used it to play rock, pop, jazz, country, oldies... These days I have 40 snare drums, including two model 4160 COB models. (One is set up with 42 strand wires, the other with 20 strand.)

Snares (and cymbals) can be an addiction. Here is a recent photo of my Gretsch USA snare drums. (I have another twenty-five or so snares from various manufacturers.)

1602495698547.png

You are a great dad. Welcome to the forum!

A 16" Zildjian K Custom would complete his cymbal setup, honestly he'd really never "need" any other cymbals.

On the other hand, a lot of us like having multiple snare drums for various situations.

I second the recommendation for a Gretsch COB model 4160 (Chrome Over Brass) snare drum. I got my first 4160 in 1992 and used it as my only snare drum until 2008. I used it to play rock, pop, jazz, country, oldies... These days I have 40 snare drums, including two model 4160 COB models. (One is set up with 42 strand wires, the other with 20 strand.)

Snares (and cymbals) can be an addiction. Here is a recent photo of my Gretsch USA snare drums. (I have another twenty-five or so snares from various manufacturers.)

View attachment 96732
Justadrummer, i am not familiar with the gretsch model 4160 snare, could you describe its construction and sound, thanks.

Justadrummer, i am not familiar with the Gretsch model 4160 snare, could you describe its construction and sound, thanks.

It is a chrome plated brass shell, the hoops are die cast, it has been available since the 1960s. I've owned several over the years.

It is a super versatile snare, you can find nice examples reasonably priced.

Back