Under Rated Guitarists

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I still say, by far, that Alex Lifeson is THE most underrated guitar player, especially given the era he comes from...

and I totally agree with Elliot Easton....

Jim Matheos and Frank Aresti from Fates Warning...

Icetech

Gold Member
K.. was just flipping through the forum and for some reason this guy popped into my head reading this thread again.. I had never heard of him til last year. I'm sure some of you will know him but i didn't :) And i love his playing... Uli Roth...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

For sure. Always saw him as the John Paul Jones of Rush.
that, and, at least to me, he is better than ANY guitarist that came out of the 70's....ANY!!!

K.. was just flipping through the forum and for some reason this guy popped into my head reading this thread again.. I had never heard of him til last year. I'm sure some of you will know him but i didn't :) And i love his playing... Uli Roth...

totally...my group of metalhead friends and I were just digging into the Scorpions pre Lovedrive catalog as a project this week. That particular song is my most favorite on that album.

Andy Summers. He was the glue that held the sounds of Copeland & Sting together.
so much this!!! Andy Summers is a taste master!! Probably in my top 5 favs of all time

Icetech

Gold Member
Robert Fripp. The best guitarist most people have never heard of. And thoroughly interesting chap.
Interesting is putting it mildly :) I have never been a massive KC fan.. but i am obsessed with this song for some reason... and Brufords hands make me wanna cry, he makes everything look so easy. Not to mention Adrian joining him on the pads at the start.. But... Fripp in that tux and the pattern he plays over and over almost in a trance, my favorite thing is in the very last few seconds when he looks up like... well i guess we are done then :)

Icetech

Gold Member
totally...my group of metalhead friends and I were just digging into the Scorpions pre Lovedrive catalog as a project this week. That particular song is my most favorite on that album.
Yeah, i had never heard early scorpions, just the like winds of change stuff which isn't for me.. i LOVE that song above though, Uli is about the most relaxed player i have seen and super smooth...

P.S. i had never realized the scorpions singer is Dio sized for easy portability :)

johnwesley

Silver Member
Should start a thread on overrated guitarists. I'd nominate Jimi Hendrix. R.I.P. Don't believe it? Check out his "performance" at Woodstock. I saw him live at the Filmore San Francisco a week before he made his official debut at Monterey Pop. Absolutely awful.

Ransan

Kulick Brothers whether it be Bob or Bruce.

Also, didn’t Vincent Cusano write all of Leather Tuscaderos and 50s renditions guitar parts for Potsie and Richies bands on Happy Days and Joni loves Chachi?
I know his altar ego persona isn’t liked but most people don’t deny his musical abilities including his songwriting.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Should start a thread on overrated guitarists. I'd nominate Jimi Hendrix. R.I.P. Don't believe it? Check out his "performance" at Woodstock. I saw him live at the Filmore San Francisco a week before he made his official debut at Monterey Pop. Absolutely awful.
Totally agree...and I would add Page and Townshend to that list as well...to me, they were average players in bands that got a lot of media hype for off stage antics and personalities...I have always thought that they more cred than they deserved after their bands broke up because of nostalgia and easily recognizable band names....same with Hendrix. I would say that if I was standing there in 1975, and people asked me who as the best guitarist, I would say Lifeson, Steve Howe, Kerry Livgren and Rich Williams, Ritchie Blackmore...

I will, and always do, get flamed for that opinion, but I stick with it...I am also the one guy who does not think that Bonham was great...he was utilitarian at best....

cbphoto

Gold Member
Peter Green was a guitarist who got a lot of attention. He wrote great music (Oh Well is a top ten of mine) but I never thought he was great until I heard their live recordings from 1969–1970. He was smokin hot, just unleashed.

I hold Hendrix in high regard cuz he absolutely shattered the mold of guitar sounds. I remember the first time I heard Foxy Lady with some friends. The feedback intro gave us goose bumps and we had no idea how he made that sound. It caused a tectonic shift in the guitar realm.

Same with Jaco Pistorius. He broke the mold of bass playing. I saw him live with Weather Report in 1976 and there was simply no one on earth who could play like that.