Ultimate Ludwig USA Drum Set Shootout - Video

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Really interesting. I love that you/they went ahead and put the same heads on all of them and tuned them the same to eliminate as much variable as you could.

I also appreciated that you/the guys actually made sure you played the toms and stuff a lot since that what was being compared. I made a comment on one of the previous videos (I think it was DW drums) where it seemed like there was more hi-hat cymbal snare (I think it was the same snare on all of the videos too) playing than actually playing the toms on that one.

Last edited:

Artstar

Platinum Member
Interesting the Keystone toms had a little less resonance than the others .. and JUST BY COINCIDENCE.. it's the ONLY one WITHOUT RIMS. Now if the atlas bracket is IDENTICAL to a RIMS sustain... wonderful, but just put all the others on atlas brackets and then test.

The Keystone is the best deal by far IMO.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Really loved this video, so thanks for posting it. First off, I agree that the Classic Maples probably are the most flexible/adaptable sounding. They sort of have the modern sound of the Keystones and the vintage sound of the Legacies. I was surprised by how close the Club Dates were to the Legacy Maples. (The Legacy Maples had more oomph, to be sure, but it was close.) I will say, I am not a fan of the Keystones - just too much attack for my tastes.

The drum that I was probably the most - disappointed isn't the correct word- surprised by (and not in a good way) was the Legacy Mahogany. If you wanted to play this kit live, it would seem to need to be close miced, as Shane mentions. I mean it would be a great studio kit, but that's a pretty specialized niche for the cost of these drums.

So, thanks again for that!

mike d

Silver Member
The Keystone X definitely sounded less resonant to me, maybe a result of the hardness of oak, or the mounting, or both?. Classic Maple sounded the best to me, but they all sounded pretty great.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Wow - excellent job.
You guys really covered all the bases - tunings, heads, mics, and so on, the same for a valid comparison.

I was surprised by the Club Dates, and to me, they sounded a bit closer to the
Legacy Mahogany, rather than the Legacy Maple, like Chunkaway heard.
The Keystone X are definitely the modern vibe.

They all sound good, and I'd be happy with any of them,
but I think the Classic Maples are the sweet spot when everything is considered.

lefty2

Platinum Member
The video was very thorough and put together well. I liked the Legacy Maple and Classic Maple the best. I thought the Keystone X sounded like the Birch drums I've had, which I like, but I like the other two better.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Outstanding job. You really went the extra mile to make each kit a level playing field as possible. Great production value.

From an audio perspective I appreciated how you cut between full mix, overhead mics, and room mics on each kit.

Enjoyed Tony, Shane & Tom just sharing their individual perspectives on each kit.

All_The_Drums

Outstanding job. You really went the extra mile to make each kit a level playing field as possible. Great production value.

From an audio perspective I appreciated how you cut between full mix, overhead mics, and room mics on each kit.

Enjoyed Tony, Shane & Tom just sharing their individual perspectives on each kit.
Thanks for the feedback. This was a lot of fun to do, and pretty eye-opening for us.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
When Shane was playing the club date did anyone else notice the strange sound after the snare hits? A low almost bent snare sound