Ufip Durability question

400bpm

I'm very impressed with the sound of Ufip cymbals and want to convert my entire setup to them.

But I keep reading horror stories on different forums about people (with seemingly good technique) cracking them left and right.

Being someone who plays for extended amounts of time on a daily basis, having cymbals that fail once every year is not an option no matter how good they sound.

So my question is if any non-endorsed, long-term Ufip owners can share their stories.
Do they break again and again? Or do they last and last?
All experiences appreciated, be it good, bad or ugly.

Florian

Gold Member
Ive had 2 full sets (Class Heavies and Class Mediums) for about 10 years now....only cracked the 8" splash from abuse. Hit em right and theyll serve you for years.

F

UFiP makes wonderful, very musical cymbals. They have paper-thin models that are dark and deep. They have heavy, thick models with tons of projection and bright attack. As well as everything in between.
You will always hear stories of someone who 'never hit them hard', but kept breaking cymbals. Most, not all, but most of the time it's the player.

The cool thing about UFiP is that they are handmade. Not just hand hammered but, 100% handmade! Check out what rotocasting is. UFiP have no air or impurities in the metal. That makes a cymbal strong and pure. BTW, UFiP doesn't endorse me. But, I strongly endorse them. :)

I would recommend that you go find some UFiP and put your sticks on them. I've definitely found my sound. I hope you find yours.

JustJames

Platinum Member
I've had a Supernova ride and a Supernova crash for a few years now.

The Supernova crash is just magical. It is the yardstick against which Zil A Customs in various sizes were found wanting.

resunoiz

yes, they are quite "softer" than equivalent weight ones from other brands.

the class series have the best cymbals I've ever heard and played, but suffer a lot of cracks due to tickness. I had them years ago and I'm sad I cant' use them anymore due to that issue.

Maybe playng them in "softer" genres is an irrelevant problem.

I now have a bionic HH and seems stronger. But comparing that series with the zildjian equivalent the second ones sounds better IMHO. Here in italy ufip has the advantage to be quite cheaper than paiste zildjian and so on.

G

Ghostnote

I have a 21" UFiP ride that sounded really great, but cracked pretty quickly. I used to hit really hard back when I bought it though, so I would chalk that one up to abuse.

Cymbalise

I used to be a retailer for ufip. I sold literally hundreds of them but only had two returns due to breakages.

Both those were from the same customer. Make of that what you will.

They are beautiful, beautiful instruments and will last forever if played correctly, just like any other brand.

Their rotocasting manufacturing technique in my opinion makes them inherently very strong. Up to you.

Magenta

Platinum Member
I have hi hats and a crash that I bought new, and an elderly ride that I bought used. Now, I am a very light player, and there is hardly a mark on the new ones, but equally there isn't a mark on the ride either, and there's plenty, plenty of life left in it. As far as I'm concerned, the quality is right up there with the sound.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I own a 20" UFIP china that may be from first half of the 80's. Paper thin, great sound. I'd pissed if I were to break it, i love its sound. I can finger push the edge of the cymbal. It's a special beast. Few attack, lot of body, very dark.

Last edited:

400bpm

Thank you for responding, guys.

The centrifugal casting is what got me interested in Ufip in the first place, from a physics stand point it makes alot of sense if purity of tone is what you're after.
Harder alloy, fewer air pockets, bell cast into shape.
And the sound files I've heard seem to support that.

The theory about casting the bell instead of pushing it out really resonates with me because as much as I love my Sabians, the bell is the weak point on almost every one of them. The only exceptions are my HH power bell ride and Zildjian mega bell ride, but there you sacrifice almost all the tone for a clear bell.

eamesuser

Silver Member
All the UFIP's I have tapped around on have had good bells.

I own a 20 class ride,2580 grams which puts it at or right at a heavy weight,but it plays way lighter,stick response is great and it is easy to play fast figures on it.Don't know if that is due to the rotocasting,profile or the way it is tensioned/hammered.

I have had mine for 10 years and it is holding up great.

Homeularis

Gold Member
Late two years much?, I know. It's been a minute for me. Thought I'd chime in though, because I'm starting to get into these UFIP's. I've only got two so far, but I've got some serious G.A.S for these bad boys and I'm starting to want MORE!. 😕
I hope they don't start breaking as quick as I can pick em up. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences, positive or negative, I'd love to hear them. Thanks much!