Udrilled,virgin base drum pros&cons

Al Strange

Same here. They just look better IMO and I like the versatility of what I can put around them.

This is by far THE best response to this topic I've ever heard. :LOL: This answer covers not only this topic, but all those others talking about tonality of woods & head tunings. 🤘 🤘
Don’t!! You know where this kind of talk is gonna go! 😂 (y)

Lee-Bro

For my setup I can't utilize toms mounted to the bass drum since throne, snare and the 2 up are set up in a straight line and the bass drum is more like an extension to my right leg. So yeah, I'm playing virgins if I have the choice.

.View attachment 100031

I set up the same way. I used to fret that the front of my bass drum wasn't square/parallel w/ the stage, but sitting in this "cockpit" style, facing forward makes it so much easier for me to to look at the bass player and horn players to my left and the guitar and keys players to my right. My neck appreciated the change as soon as I made it.

Even when playing a 1-up configuration, the way I prefer to position my mounted tom would require the bass drum mount to be a heavily modified rail mount that still may not give me the positioning I want.

From an aesthetic, I prefer less hardware on the bass drum.

mrfingers

Personally I like the”tree.” Faster set up and the bass sound doesn’t change. But....I just ran into a mounted tom-reso head-tension rods problem, ie.: they fall out after a time, not 1 but 4! Maybe bass drum vibration is the culprit (2010 Yamaha Tour Custom)?

felonious69

Personally I like the”tree.” Faster set up and the bass sound doesn’t change. But....I just ran into a mounted tom-reso head-tension rods problem, ie.: they fall out after a time, not 1 but 4! Maybe bass drum vibration is the culprit (2010 Yamaha Tour Custom)?
If 4 rods fell out, doesn't that noticably change the sound of the drum over time as they are working themselves loose?

mrfingers

If 4 rods fell out, doesn't that noticably change the sound of the drum over time as they are working themselves loose?
“Adaptive hearing” is my problem. Over a period of time you get used to the slight sound shifts, especially when playing hard and fast. You take a break and....what ? Tension rods on the floor...

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Base......virgin....drilled....

Where is this going?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Bozozoid

Can I ask those who use a snare stand for their mount do you ever hit it on the way to a fill nearly knocking it over?. Ive done that a couple times saying...FORGET that stand.

s1212z

Checkout these early N&C efforts to keep a bass drum virgin. I call it the ultimate chastity belt:

J-W

Checkout these early N&C efforts to keep a bass drum virgin. I call it the ultimate chastity belt:

But they sure are RIMming the s#*t out of that virgin, aren't they? :devilish: .........with Ludwig Modular hardware too! (y);)

WallyY

Platinum Member
Other than the PHX, does Yamaha make any standard set without the tom mount?
I'm wondering because they purposely add weight to the bass drum lugs to get a less resonant sound.

Griffin

I
The sound/feel difference is debatable. Some claim a drilled bass loses tonal purity. Maybe, maybe not. My official position: Who cares?

I love virgin basses for aesthetic reasons. I dislike tom mounts and racks and play my only "up tom" in a snare stand, so a virgin bass is ideal for me. I haven't owned a non-virgin bass in a very long time. I know, I know; all drums are drilled for tension rods and so on, but when I say "virgin bass," I mean no aperture for a tom mount. A virgin is the only type of bass I'll purchase at this point.
it’s funny. I come down on the opposite side of this for the same reason. I like a drilled bass drum because I like the visual of mounted rack toms, but then I also play 2-up one down.

C.M. Jones

I

it’s funny. I come down on the opposite side of this for the same reason. I like a drilled bass drum because I like the visual of mounted rack toms, but then I also play 2-up one down.

Yeah, going two-up changes the dynamic entirely. I understand fully why you'd favor a drilled bass in that case. I play a one-up configuration exclusively, so a virgin bass is the only way I roll.

Good to hear from you, man. It's been a while.