Typical Tom sizes

synergy

Hi guys,

I was wondering what sizes you run on your rack toms?

Is there a current standard that the new drums are coming out in? Has this changed over time?

Do they typically run 10,12,14 etc Or are they starting off at the 12 and ending on say 16 for the floor

Just wondered what was the most used set up at the moment.

I currently have a 12x13 tom and a 14x13 tom- the later I use as a floor tom- I have tried to use it as a second rack tom but to my eyes it just looks rediculous to me

L

lewisn27

Usually toms are 12"x9" then 13"x10" and 16"x16", on a five peice.

diosdude

Silver Member
Hi guys,

I currently have a 12x13 tom and a 14x13 tom- the later I use as a floor tom- I have tried to use it as a second rack tom but to my eyes it just looks rediculous to me
Yeah, that's a little big to be mounted over the bass drum, i'd use it as a suspended floor tom.

I've seen a big trend toward 1 up 2 down over the last couple years, typical of this would be a 12x9 rack and a 14 and 16" floor.

drumtechdad

Gold Member
Usually toms are 12"x9" then 13"x10" and 16"x16", on a five peice.
Not any more.

Nowadays those sizes are usually called "rock" sizes, sometimes "standard" sizes.

They came about not by design, but by accident. In the beginning, there were 4-piece kits. When folks decided they wanted 2-up/1-down five piece kits, the drum companies were already making 12s and 13s. Voila. That became the "standard."

Then folks realized that 12-13-16 is an uneven progression of sizes. Many still like it, but before long came "fusion" sizes, which have even spacing between the toms. My kid's kit is 8-10-12-14f-16f. What's nice is that it's easy to get even intervals between the toms. With 12-13-16 you have the 12 and 13 pretty close in pitch with the 16 much further away--unless you choke the 12.

I prefer the "fusion" trend myself, but to each his own.

synergy

I have seen the progression to 1 up 2 down- I still dont really understand it?

I understand it will give you more low end and instead of high pitched toms you will have a lot of deep tones out of the 2 floor toms.

however from a ergonomic standpoint I cant see how having a second floor close to your side or even a little behind your seat is more comfortable then having a 2nd rack right in front of you?

I understand its personal choice- It just doesnt look comfortable to me- unless you have bozzio's kit and then who cares where you put toms!!!!! Just find a hole if there is one and add one more on!!!!

lawacker

Re: Typical Tom sizes and GMS subway kit

My reason for the one up two down is I like the ride in close and low. I'm playing more ride cymbal than floor toms anyway. I do play more jazz. Maybe if it were rock that would change. I may go to short toms and than I can have two up and one down, with the ride in the low position. I'm looking at the GMS subway kit but I'm not sure if I'll like the sound of the toms.They sure do sound great on the Indoorstorm music web site, as opposed to some of the other mp3 clips for some of the other drums.Anyone with any info on the GMS subway please let me know. Thank you.