Two shell banks instead of eight different kits?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
JAD, that is a rich collection of drums, and every one of them is a standout kit. I can understand why you bought each of them.

Your mention of Slingerland really caught my attention. I've traditionally been a Ludwig player, with a number of classic kits under my belt. But I can never forget all the hours I spent lusting over the Buddy Rich kits highlighted in each successive Slingerland catalog over the years. Yet, I've never run across an opportunity to buy a Slingerland kit locally. Last year, thanks to John Ollis (who now owns all the remaining Slingerland inventory), I now have a Slingerland kit. It's brand new NOS, so not a classic kit (it's a mix of Conway era Studio Kings and Concert Kings), but I've had a blast adding to and recovering the kit. Since this pic was taken, I've added a 10" tom and completed the conversion to all cast hoops to mimic a Studio King kit in sort of a BR configuration.

GeeDeeEmm86880Slingerland Concert King Rewrapped 001.JPG

Stroker

Platinum Member
JAD, that is a rich collection of drums, and every one of them is a standout kit. I can understand why you bought each of them.

Your mention of Slingerland really caught my attention. I've traditionally been a Ludwig player, with a number of classic kits under my belt. But I can never forget all the hours I spent lusting over the Buddy Rich kits highlighted in each successive Slingerland catalog over the years. Yet, I've never run across an opportunity to buy a Slingerland kit locally. Last year, thanks to John Ollis (who now owns all the remaining Slingerland inventory), I now have a Slingerland kit. It's brand new NOS, so not a classic kit (it's a mix of Conway era Studio Kings and Concert Kings), but I've had a blast adding to and recovering the kit. Since this pic was taken, I've added a 10" tom and completed the conversion to all cast hoops to mimic a Studio King kit in sort of a BR configuration.

GeeDeeEmmView attachment 86880View attachment 86880
Magnificent kit, Mr. Moore!

The pure white marine finish is wicked!

There's something about double floor tom kits that have always rocked me.

justadrummer

GeeDeeEmmView attachment 86880View attachment 86880
I saved for a long time to buy a brand new set of Slingerlands, when I was finally ready they had gone out of production. I bought a brand new set of DW Collector's Series. (Which I do not regret.) Your kit is stunning, congratulations!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
This is interesting as I am too considering going the shell bank route.

Before I get started though, holy cow you have some amazing drum sets! I'd love to own a 3-ply kit one day (but not anytime soon). A friend of mine has a few, and while they all sound different, they all sound fantastic. You have great taste in drums!

As far as the shell bank I'm considering, it all started with my Ludwig Classic Maple I have. I've shown the pic before, but what the hay - here it is again (20" x 14" kick, 12" x 7" rack, and 14" x 14" floor tom). Please pardon the overly-heavy-duty boom stand:

While the finish on the rack tom matches really well, it's not a Ludwig. I've been on the hunt for a replacement, and besides ordering one a la carte, I'm just not finding one. I've found plenty of vintage 12" toms, but nothing of this era (7-ply maple). I've looked for 12" toms that I could rewrap, but the only ones I'm finding rival the price of what I could order one new. So, I've been kicking around the idea of finding a used Classic maple in the same finish from the early 2000's in the same wrap, something with a 22" kick, a 12" rack and maybe a 10". I actually found one at a decent price (not great, but ok), but I'm not going to get it due to funds right now. I'm selling on of my Pork Pie kits right now to pay off some stuff, but possibly in the future, I'd like to have a shell bank of these.

justadrummer

I thought that I'd update this thread about my shell bank quest.

I currently have a Gretsch USA Custom 14" x 5" snare, 13" x 9" tom and 20" x 14" bass drum on order.

These will join the 10" x 7", 12" x 8", 14" x 14", 16" x 16", 22" x 14" kit that I received in June.

Next up I'm ordering an 18" x 14" bass drum and 14" x 6.5 snare. The last piece of the puzzle on this shell bank is a 24" x 14" Gretsch bass drum, I'm hoping that I'll be able to order it around the first of the year.

To complete the DW Collector's Series shell bank I only need 20" x 16" and 24" x 18" bass drums. I'm hoping to have them on order in the spring.

So far I have my congas and two kits on consignment at a local drum shop. As gear sells I'll continue ordering until I'm done. Originally I thought that it could take up to two years to pull this off. Now I'm thinking that I will have everything ordered to complete this crazy project in under a year.

justadrummer

I lost count. How many shells do you currently have??
Currently I have 10", and 12" toms, as well as 14", and 16" floor toms. The only bass drum in my possession for this kit is currently a 22". I also have a 14" x 5" snare drum to match this kit.

I have all of these ordered and paid for, just waiting to receive; 13" tom, 18" and 20" bass drums, and a 14" x 6.5" snare drum.

justadrummer

I was able to order the Gretsch USA Custom 24" x 14" bass drum yesterday. It was nice to be able to make my local drum shop owner smile on "small business Saturday".

Now I just have to wait for the 13" tom, 18", 20"and 24" bass drums, and 14" x 6.5" snare to show up.

Tom Petty was right, the waiting IS the hardest part.

In the mean time, I need to place an order for more cases... :D

vxla

Silver Member
I'd look more at a 14x20 bass drum over a 16x20. The DW Collectors 14x20 drums have an incredible amount of low end with LOTS of punch. That's something that might be missing from your 16x22

justadrummer

I'd look more at a 14x20 bass drum over a 16x20. The DW Collectors 14x20 drums have an incredible amount of low end with LOTS of punch. That's something that might be missing from your 16x22
My current DW Collector's Series bass drum is 18" x 22". I planning on a slightly more shallow 16" depth on the 20" and 18" depth on the 24".

All four bass drums on the Gretsch USA Custom kit are 14" deep.