Two Floor Toms

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I sit facing slightly to the left. I have no problem hitting the far tom with either stick.
I can cross my left arm over my right and still hot my far floor tom.

Attachments

Last edited:
R

RenaissanceMan

Buddy. You have to be twisting to play that second floor tom. It is in the same position as mine.
Not really. 18" tom is pretty much parallel with my seat when I play. I turn yes, but, its not a twist that makes hitting that drum a difficult thing to do.

Hercules

After you've played for a while with 3 floor toms getting to the second one is not such a problem......

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I don't twist at all to get to my second ft.
It's like a lot of set ups shown.
It looks farther away than it is. My stick lands directly in the center of the drum by turning my wrist. Two hands on it by turning a tiny bit to really go at it, but nothing remotely like a twist.

This is a recent overhead shot:

Sticks!! Too much info dude! Floor toms with legs!!! We are supposed to be surprised!
:)

THC

I don't really have any problems either. I kinds pull my elbow back a bit, rotate my arm out at the elbow, and slightly twist at the waist all in one smooth motion. No big deal.

I'm 6' 2"

Nuka

It's quite amusing whenever anyone attempts to sit at mine after I've set it up perfectly for me. Because I have rather lanky arms and hate playing with my elbows tight against me, I have my toms (particularly the floors as they aren't racked) quite far from the snare. Cymbals etc follow suit.

This is a pic from one of my older bands, the kit wasn't mine and was jamed together with a couple of old Luds that the studio had (that odd angled bass drum is only holding the tom) It consisted of two snares, three rack toms (two of which were the same size but had different heads on) and two floors which also had the differing heads to each other.
Made for great fun playing, so comfortable!

Although noone else liked playing it...

I do have a picture SOMEWHERE of the kit I jammed together at my school one day, that was great for playing things that had longer fills and stuff haha. Two hats, two snares, two floors though if memory serves only one bass and a single pedal? Meh lol.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I don't really have any problems either. I kinds pull my elbow back a bit, rotate my arm out at the elbow, and slightly twist at the waist all in one smooth motion. No big deal.

I'm 6' 2"

Nice and easy!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I definitely prefer a 14 and 16 dia floor set up to a 16 and 18 dia floor set up because of the closeness factor.

marko138

Silver Member

Harry has a different setup with his hat centered more, so he is already sitting more centered to his kit, making it easier for him to reach the second floor tom. In my pic I will be turned slightly towards my hat and away from my floors. My first floor position tom is heavily used. It is a 15" and easily reached without twisting. My second floor position tom is not so easy to get at while on the hat. I usually use my left hand, under my right arm for this drum in many fills. If I am riding, or doing tom work then it is not as much a twist, but still out of the comfort zone. My last tom mounted up on two mounts, like a gong drum, is definitely only reached at the end of big fills, or during heavy floor work. This one is defiantly out of the comfort zone.
The 10,12,13, up front, and the 15 to my right are all in my happy Zone. Easily reached without any twisting. These are my main toms I use. Hopes this helps.

What a beast! I will ask though, how do you get to the throne??? HAHA! Looks completely closed off.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Most often when I go for the second floor tom I simply flip my right wrist palm side up and I attack the drum in that mannor.
That method takes the body twist factor out of the equation.
If I decide to stay on the second tom for a roll I will do a slight torso twist.

Cameo

Gold Member
I'm young and only 5' 6"-7", but I can easily reach the toms in a comfortable way, without twisting my body around.

Nuka

Also, with my height (6'4") and how I have my kit set up, the throne is so far from the kit I really don't need to twist too much haha.

I sit right back putting a tom on my hip to a tom nearer my knee xD

MikeM

Platinum Member
I love playing two floors. I never thought about what a pain it is to twist a bit to reach it because it never has been. I'd walk barefoot 10 feet over broken glass to reach mine. Sometimes if I'm on someone else's kit where there's only one, I'll automatically go for the second anyway and end up accidentally throwing my stick(s) at the floor. Oops!

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I've been playing double floor toms, a 14" and 16", for many years and never felt uncomfortable doing it. I'm 59 years old and still able to move from side to side on a kit without any problems. This may not hold true when I'm 60, lol. A lot has to do with the positioning and set-up of your drums and this depends on the size and amount of drums on your kit. As you can see, my 16" floor tom is always a bit forward from being exactly to my right. I have to turn very little to reach my 16" tom when playing it with both hands and I don't have to move a bit when playing accents or one handed rolls.

This is the way I set up my kits. Sometimes I might not use all the rack toms, but I usually do put both floor toms to use.

That is virtually identical to my setup, and I also use Zildjian A Custom cymbals, although I didn't have them all at the time of this pic. It also doesn't show my doouble bas pedal setup either.

Nuka

Here's some pics of my previous set-ups :)

These four were all a mix of a Yamaha and a Mapex. All Zil cymbals.

I'll try to get a pic of my current kit sometime soon.