Two Floor Toms

DrumDoug

There have been a few post lately about different setups and several people have said they like two floor toms. Some people have responded that they don't like the 2 down thing because they have to twist so far to get to the second floor tom and other people have said they don't have to twist at all. I have never been able to get comfortable with two floor toms. I'm one of the "have to twist too far" guys. As I was sitting at my kit last night I was trying to imagine how people would get to another FT without twisting, I though that they must be sitting at a different angle in relation to their kit than I am. I sit slightly turned toward the hi hat. In order not to have to twist to get to that second FT, I suppose one would have to sit slightly facing the floor tom side of the kit. To me, that would put me at an odd angle with the bass drum. It would be interesting to see some birds eye views of your 2 downers with you sitting at your kit and playing that second FT. It might give me an idea on how to add one without twisting so far.

S

sticks4drums

Harry has a different setup with his hat centered more, so he is already sitting more centered to his kit, making it easier for him to reach the second floor tom. In my pic I will be turned slightly towards my hat and away from my floors. My first floor position tom is heavily used. It is a 15" and easily reached without twisting. My second floor position tom is not so easy to get at while on the hat. I usually use my left hand, under my right arm for this drum in many fills. If I am riding, or doing tom work then it is not as much a twist, but still out of the comfort zone. My last tom mounted up on two mounts, like a gong drum, is definitely only reached at the end of big fills, or during heavy floor work. This one is defiantly out of the comfort zone.
The 10,12,13, up front, and the 15 to my right are all in my happy Zone. Easily reached without any twisting. These are my main toms I use. Hopes this helps.

kettles

Gold Member
I don't have any photos of my kit that would help, but this pic explains how I set mine up:

Except I don't have a third floor tom, but my first two are set up like Tony's. This is the most natural position to have it, as I can play the center of the drum with my arms keeping a natural angle.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
My 2 foor toms are on the small sides, 12"x11" and 14"x14", and they are set in such a way, that I don't have to switch to hit them, they're about a 45° angle from the bass drum as opposed to almost 80° that you see on so many 2 down setup. I only have to switch if I'm hitting the 14" with my left hand while the right is on the china cymbal.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I set my second floor tom up more to the right of the first one, which helps it fall under the stick a little better and keeps me from having to twist to bring my right arm in line.

S

sticks4drums

I set my second floor tom up more to the right of the first one, which helps it fall under the stick a little better and keeps me from having to twist to bring my right arm in line.

I think I will try this approach with my new kit, since they will be floor toms with legs.

Big_Al47

Thanks for the pic! I just bought a 14" floor tom off Craigslist and added to my kit. My 16" is directly behind the "new" 14" and I have a tough time reaching it. I will try this setup

harryconway

Platinum Member
Quite interesting set up Harry! None up, three down...how is the feel on that left-hand floor tom?
How do you reach the floor tom on the left??
The photo kinda makes that drum (18x16) look "further" out in left field than it actually is. Since I'm using a cable remote hi-hat, and a single pedal on the kick, my legs straddle the snare like most. Knees almost/actually touch the snare. So the 13" non-rack tom touches my right leg, slightly, the 18" floor touches my left leg.​

D

Doctor Dirt

I had an 18 fl tm with me for a while many years ago, didn't have a bottom head! I kept my sticks and some other things in it and on a gig set it up as a table. I lked that thing. Doc

Thanks for sharing the experience & knowledge.

The photo kinda makes that drum (18x16) look "further" out in left field than it actually is. Since I'm using a cable remote hi-hat, and a single pedal on the kick, my legs straddle the snare like most. Knees almost/actually touch the snare. So the 13" non-rack tom touches my right leg, slightly, the 18" floor touches my left leg.​

A

audiotech

I've been playing double floor toms, a 14" and 16", for many years and never felt uncomfortable doing it. I'm 59 years old and still able to move from side to side on a kit without any problems. This may not hold true when I'm 60, lol. A lot has to do with the positioning and set-up of your drums and this depends on the size and amount of drums on your kit. As you can see, my 16" floor tom is always a bit forward from being exactly to my right. I have to turn very little to reach my 16" tom when playing it with both hands and I don't have to move a bit when playing accents or one handed rolls.

This is the way I set up my kits. Sometimes I might not use all the rack toms, but I usually do put both floor toms to use.

Dennis