tweak it til it works

uniongoon

Gold Member
tweak it til it works VIDEO ADDED

I build my own drums, some come together first try, and some need a few go rounds to achieve the desired result.
Originally this canary wood snare looked too mono tone colour wise. It also did not have the sound I knew it should have. Canarywood is an awesome tonal wood. It is the only wood I have worked with that actually has a marimba tone ring when you tap the shell with a knuckle.

BEFORE
330r3hw.jpg

Then I added some maple steam bent re rings, re did the bottom edge with a different snare bed, and ditched the triple flange hoops for a set of chrome die cast hoops. Then I powder coated the hardware to match the chrome, and made some canarywood caps for the throw off. Snare now sounds and looks great.

s6hcoy.jpg

t0s07n.jpg

1z3s6ra.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! I never heard of canary wood. There's a joke in there somewhere.

Very impressive! Any chance that you'll have a sound clip up at some point?

Was not in the mood for recording a video, but I did force out a quick pile of excrement to let everybody hear as well as see. The secondary snare is my old steambent hybrid which I originally built in 1980. I just updated it too with some custom blended powdercoat. Took some Black and added a shot of gold and got this cool looking colour. Video is camera mic only.

It was a hodge podge of brass plate, chrome and blacish grey on the tension rods, much more eye pleasing to me now.

BEFORE
28v9f7t.jpg

AFTER
2qdsfgy.jpg

Was not in the mood for recording a video, but I did force out a quick pile of excrement to let everybody hear as well as see. The secondary snare is my old steambent hybrid which I originally built in 1980. I just updated it too with some custom blended powdercoat. Took some Black and added a shot of gold and got this cool looking colour. Video is camera mic only.

It was a hodge podge of brass plate, chrome and blacish grey on the tension rods, much more eye pleasing to me now.

BEFORE
28v9f7t.jpg

AFTER
2qdsfgy.jpg

Snares look great...........

Stuff always takes a bit of time to work through. I've lost count (literally) of the number of "mules" we've been through to get stuff dialled in. Glad to hear the Canary wood is sounding good. It is indeed reputed to be a great tone wood, although we've never used it to my knowledge. Great looking wood too.

Audio sample missing?

Stuff always takes a bit of time to work through. I've lost count (literally) of the number of "mules" we've been through to get stuff dialled in. Glad to hear the Canary wood is sounding good. It is indeed reputed to be a great tone wood, although we've never used it to my knowledge. Great looking wood too.

Audio sample missing?

The top picture of me is a photobucket video link, works from my end.

Back