Turning the Corner

MaryO

Platinum Member
I'm finally starting to feel like I may eventually make a decent drummer. The last few weeks have been noticeably different for me when I get behind the kit. When I play along to my favorite tunes, it's not as if it's so much work as it is just comfortable and and I seem to be able to figure out something to play that works. It's definitely not note for note with the originals but I'm actually able to get some kind of groove moving along with the music and even throw in a simple filll here or there without out too much stress. I'm also feeling changes in the music better as well. Even on songs I've never tried before, things are coming much more natural than they ever have. It's a great feeling!

My teacher says I'm technically improving quite a bit as well. I'm working my fingers and wrists instead of so much arm motion and things like accents and sticking patterns are better too. I never dreamed when I started that it would be two years down the road for me to get to this point..lol. I was so naive about what it took to become proficient on this instrument (not that I am...still a LONG way to go).

BUT now when I get behind my beautiful cranberry red Stage Customs, I actually feel as if I deserve them and may eventually do them some justice. :) Anyways, I've just been on such a high with this...I wanted to share. Thanks to all my forum friends for your support, advice, help, and tolerance of a middle aged woman who's evidently having a mid-life crisis (drums, motorcycles, a convertible sports car and tattoos all in the last 5 years...yep...it's a mid-life crisis!) Can't wait to see what the next 2 years brings!

I'm finally starting to feel like I may eventually make a decent drummer. The last few weeks have been noticeably different for me when I get behind the kit. When I play along to my favorite tunes, it's not as if it's so much work as it is just comfortable and and I seem to be able to figure out something to play that works. It's definitely not note for note with the originals but I'm actually able to get some kind of groove moving along with the music and even throw in a simple filll here or there without out too much stress. I'm also feeling changes in the music better as well. Even on songs I've never tried before, things are coming much more natural than they ever have. It's a great feeling!

My teacher says I'm technically improving quite a bit as well. I'm working my fingers and wrists instead of so much arm motion and things like accents and sticking patterns are better too. I never dreamed when I started that it would be two years down the road for me to get to this point..lol. I was so naive about what it took to become proficient on this instrument (not that I am...still a LONG way to go).

BUT now when I get behind my beautiful cranberry red Stage Customs, I actually feel as if I deserve them and may eventually do them some justice. :) Anyways, I've just been on such a high with this...I wanted to share. Thanks to all my forum friends for your support, advice, help, and tolerance of a middle aged woman who's evidently having a mid-life crisis (drums, motorcycles, a convertible sports car and tattoos all in the last 5 years...yep...it's a mid-life crisis!) Can't wait to see what the next 2 years brings!
awesome. it amazed me not how long it takes to become proficient, but how fast the time goes by in-between. two years is a very short time, so if you're feeling good about your playing and getting good feedback, you'll grow exponentially in the next two!

Mary, I think you're just the coolest. Good for you! I told my wife about you and she said "You go, girl!"

Your example has inspired her to get back to learning to play her bass.

Middle-aged? Bah! You're young at heart and that's all that matters. I've really enjoyed reading about your journey, and I hope you never tire of discovering new joys about music. Celebrating with you in spirit =)

Indeed Mary, your journey has been a wonderful progressive ride, and trust me, this is only the beginning, the fun has just started... there's years of pleasure and love in drumming ahead of you, and the beauty of it, it keeps getting better :)

Mary, I think you're just the coolest. Good for you! I told my wife about you and she said "You go, girl!"

Your example has inspired her to get back to learning to play her bass.

Wow, that's a compliment! Thank you :)
And Yeah for your wife!

It took me two or three years to start feeling confident behind the kit. The first time I knew it was starting to happen was when I was at school and played 'Voodoo Chile' with some friends in a school concert. It's an amazing feeling when you know things are starting to come together and you're able to express yourself on the instrument rather than simply focussing on the mechanics and being hyper-critical of each movement.

This is the first step on a long road to being a real musician - not that I'm criticising you or being down on you at all - quite the opposite. It's a huge step up in your confidence and for a while things will probably move on quickly.

Eventually, you'll feel you like you're hitting another plateau but this is only another stage in your development. Instead of focussing on mechanics, you start working on smaller steps in your tone and musicality in general. You'll gain another insight and things that you thought sounded great will be analysed more. It might be slow going for a bit but I know you're really determined to make it happen.

I really applaud you for recording your progress. Watch the old videos and watch what you can do now. If you're ever feeling down about your playing, watch them and you'll be inspired and realise how far you've come. It's a great feeling.

Good work, Mary!

Cranberry red Stage Customs! That would make me feel confident too. Good to hear you are turning the cormer and things are becoming more natural for you.

Great to hear this Mary. Its funny because once you cross over the hump, its almost like the less you care/worry about the small stuff, the better you play. Complete opposite of the way it was.

Great to hear this Mary. Its funny because once you cross over the hump, its almost like the less you care/worry about the small stuff, the better you play. Complete opposite of the way it was.

That's exactly what has happened. :). Still working the rudiments and technical lessons but playing itself just flows better. Makes all the work worth it :)

I'm really glad you posted this Mary. Reading this is a great reminder of the exact brand of satisfaction you get from drums. The bad news is that you're hooked for life now, the good news is that corners will be continue to be turned from now on. It's like your mind, after working out this stuff for 2 years, finally reaches a point where it says "Oh I get it!" and the dots really start connecting. That's when the real fun starts, and I mean that quite literally. Drums will continue to reward you with ever higher levels of satisfaction from here on in. When you can express, instead of distress, on your instrument...well all is right with the world.

Love hearing your milestones Mary. Your success is all of our successes.

Like a game of Tron, I'm always looking for the next corner to turn. Congrats and keep it up Mary!

That's exactly what has happened. :). Still working the rudiments and technical lessons but playing itself just flows better. Makes all the work worth it :)

I know its not a well received idea (and sometime hotly debated) but having one stiff drink usually brings this relaxed feel to my playing so I used to try that now and then (never played out-just in the basement after cocktail hour) and I always felt more relaxed and "fluid".

Booze or not- its a fantastic feeling. your muscles finally know what to do without you thinking about each movement.

Congrats, Mary.

It's great to see how you've progressed in the short time you've been playing. Keep it up.

BTW, I like the new avatar. Congrats on the nuptials too. I wish you crazy kids the best of luck!

Back