Turning a Floor Tom into a Kick Drum - tips?

NouveauCliche

Wow ..... a decade driving 16's and 18's only/mostly? That 22x14 is gonna sound huge to you. Be careful, though. I hear the 22 is a "gateway" drum. Next thing you know .... you're driving a 26. It happened to me. It happened to Bo. 😆😆😆
...I've been debating doing the Stanton Moore and having a big ol' guy like the 26" on a slave off to the right of the kit for when things get serious! hahaha

wraub

I have a 16x14 Yamaha Beech Custom floor tom I'm thinking of making a small bass drum...
It has a YESS mount, so it'd be a virgin bass :D.
I already have a DIY riser that fits, and the bass beater hits the head just a little off center.

Any suggestions re: heads?

NouveauCliche

I have a 16x14 Yamaha Beech Custom floor tom I'm thinking of making a small bass drum...
I already have a DIY riser that fits, and the bass beater hits the head just a little off center.

Evans makes a 16" emad that is insanely nice sounding. Definitely kicks it into actual bass drum punch and pitch. For the reso side I think I have a G1 with a bit of tape on the inside just to tone it down. Real punchy sound with some tone coming from that front head - you could probably cut a tiny hole in it if you wanted to reduce that ring and get more a traditional bass drum feel - because even a low tuned 16" head has a bit of a floaty tom feel on the pedal.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I have a 16x14 Yamaha Beech Custom floor tom ....
My Yamaha Manu Katche Jr, kick is 16x16, with triple-flanged hoops. I'm running a clear Remo Pinstripe head with a Remo Muff'l ring underneath it, batter. Reso. is an un-ported Yamaha front head. Nice, tight, punchy thump.

dboomer

I’m cheap. I took a piece of 2x4 and traced and cut an arc. I attach it to the shell with velcro and i mounted a 4” door hinge in it to clamp the pedal to. I used a pair of spurs I had sitting around that fit the floor tom leg brackets and used the top bracket to hold a Dunnett tom mount. Sorry, I didn't keep any photos

bongoman

For 16” heads, I’m currently running an Aquarian two ply clear batter and a Fiberskyn diplomat reso, with a section of acoustic foam lightly touching the batter.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
My 18” sounded like a 22” with the Dixson riser. It also made it easier to mount a pedal as it was clamped to the riser and the kick just to be put on it.

And it didnt moved an inch and kept from damaging the hoop with a clamping system that you sometimes see on risers.

I love the design of the Gibraltar Gull Wing conversion kit (except for that riser when used with a wooden hoop) So classic.

I am contemplating making s smaller kit when needed.

That would be 10/15 ballad snare and 18x14 floor.

Last edited:

wraub

So, because I am both stupid and dumb, I finally set this up on the YESS mount as a suspended tom...
Holy shnikes, is this an impressive drum. It's like all the goodness is already built in.
I think I have a new low tom... any input on using a 13x10 tom as a bass drum? :D