Turkish makers similar to K Light/Dark?

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I've been thinking about making the plunge in to Turkish made cymbals for a while. I've enjoyed Zildjian 15" K Light Hats and 22" Ride and K Dark Crashes, but was thinking it might be time for a slight change. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of some lines to give me a starting point to launch from and look in to.

you have a lot of choices, today more than ever, turkish cymbals like istanbul mehmet, agop, turkish(same as istanbul mehmet just another brand) , bosphorus and many others .....
i have owned really a lot of cymbals ( istanbul mehmets more than others because i have had endorsement prices) and they mostly were great , agop has also beautiful cymbals , t cymbals are also very nice cymbals ....i ended with paste traditionals and i think they are the best for me until this moment and i don't want to change them
let you ears decide

lines: istanbul mehmet radiant thin version - great pop rock fusion cymbals, nostalgia and traditional lines more jazzy but also versatile
agop cindy blackman , 30 anniversary , traditionals - maybe more jazzy cymbals but you could do everything with them
t cymbals- cymbalmaker line - versatile, nice - also cymbals are professional series

you have a lot of choices, today more than ever, turkish cymbals like istanbul mehmet, agop, turkish(same as istanbul mehmet just another brand) , bosphorus and many others .....
i have owned really a lot of cymbals ( istanbul mehmets more than others because i have had endorsement prices) and they mostly were great , agop has also beautiful cymbals , t cymbals are also very nice cymbals ....i ended with paste traditionals and i think they are the best for me until this moment and i don't want to change them
let you ears decide

I know there's a ton of companies and each of them have a ton of lines. That's why I was asking what would be similar to the K Light Hat/Ride and K Dark Crashes, so I have some kind of starting point. It can be a bit overwhelming, which is probably why I haven't looked in to it that much yet.

I've been thinking about making the plunge in to Turkish made cymbals for a while. I've enjoyed Zildjian 15" K Light Hats and 22" Ride and K Dark Crashes, but was thinking it might be time for a slight change. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of some lines to give me a starting point to launch from and look in to.

Hmmm lots of choices.... try out some sound samples of..
TRX cymbals, Turkish cymbals, Istanbul, Samsun have some really great, Murat diril are amazing....

You would need a not too thin, lathered and light hand hammering if you want something similar to the cymbals you mentioned...

I know there's a ton of companies and each of them have a ton of lines. That's why I was asking what would be similar to the K Light Hat/Ride and K Dark Crashes, so I have some kind of starting point. It can be a bit overwhelming, which is probably why I haven't looked in to it that much yet.

zildjian dark crash and k light hats rides - i think thinner nostalgia mehmet istanbul crashes or traditional paper thin would do the job great

I like what you have now.

So....my only suggestion is not to sell or trade them if you get something else.

Istanbul Nostalgia are really lightweight, great jazz cymbals, but IMO too different to the Zildjians. The traditionals would be more like the K's IMO.

The Masterwork Custom Series are sonically sitting somewhere between the Zildjian K's and the Constantinoples. Worth a look, they are really really good. Turkish Traditional should also be pretty similar to the Zildjians, just like Anatolian Traditional Series and Agean Custom.

I'm wondering if you want cymbals like the K Light hat/ride 15", which I also have and think are fantastic, and the K dark crash, why do you want to change?

I'm wondering if you want cymbals like the K Light hat/ride 15", which I also have and think are fantastic, and the K dark crash, why do you want to change?

Probably a mix of G.A.S. and grass is greener syndrome.

Probably a mix of G.A.S. and grass is greener syndrome.

I get it. I've had major GAS issues over the years, but finally calmed down. When I get in to the, "I need new cymbals" mode, I usually actually try to get something different from what I already have. At the moment, I only have one Turkish cymbal--a Mehmet 18" flat ride with a rivet. It's a really nice cymbal and sounds very different from anything else I have. I'm going to use it on a gig for the first time tonight.

A drum instructor of mine once said, "never get rid of a cymbal, just get more of them..."

Back