Tuning revelation

SMALL INCREMENTS. Does anyone else do this? I mean really small, like 1/16th turns. I start with a loose head, go finger-tight, and then dial it up to my desired pitch. I find it to be much more accurate and easier to correct minor pitch problems lug to lug. I feel like when people crank it up in big increments it causes irregularities in tension that can be avoided.

There was a guy on here a couple years ago who hit on a tuning technique that I'd never heard of before: always use two drum keys (one in each hand).

Sounds super simple, but it works amazingly well.

I get the tension rods finger tight first, then with two keys on opposite sides of the drum, just go around the feeling for equal tension and bring up to pitch.

It really helps to keep tension even and it goes super quick. All the fuss about tiny increments to keep things even becomes a non-issue.

There was a guy on here a couple years ago who hit on a tuning technique that I'd never heard of before: always use two drum keys (one in each hand).

Sounds super simple, but it works amazingly well.

I get the tension rods finger tight first, then with two keys on opposite sides of the drum, just go around the feeling for equal tension and bring up to pitch.

It really helps to keep tension even and it goes super quick. All the fuss about tiny increments to keep things even becomes a non-issue.
I'll try that. Thanks!

The increments would be determined somewhat by the diameter. An 8" tom will respond more readily to 1/16 turns, than a 16" floor tom.

But yes, I'll go around the drum a few times to make sure I tension the rods fairly evenly.

Bermuda

Here is where I find people making a mistake when tuning. Many say they tighten all of the lugs finger tight. Then turn the first lug one turn. Then when they go to turn the lug straight across, they finger tighten again before turning one turn. DON'T. Turn it one turn and move on to the next. As you tighten one lug others will seem really loose, but just turn them one turn. After all 8 or 10 are done, then turn 1/2 or 1/4 each and then tweak them all until they are where you want them. If you finger tighten more than once that lug will end up tighter than the one across from it and you will play this game forever. Once I figured this out, my tuning became much quicker and better.

I like that method as well. Seems to have gotten tuned rather quickly with not many turns on the lugs to have been only finger tight, but oh well. It worked.

Technically, if you have equal length tension rods, lugs that are mounted evenly, a straight hoop, and a good head--which one usually does--then tightning the rods the same amount should do the trick regardless of how big turns you make. But then, theory and practice isn't always the same thing, is it : )

What you say is exactly right. Thats why I start finger tight and go from there. However, my fingers are not calibrated torque wrenches. And the main reason to learn this skill by ear without "tools" or "gimmicks" If you read my previous post, I explain my process in full. How to, and what not, to do. It works for me and my drums sound great. People in the audience don't use tune-bots to measure or judge your sound coming at them. They use the same tool you should use. Your ear. I'm sure within the week, someone else will come up with a better mouse trap, but none of them have convinced me yet. Everyone loves the sound of vintage drums and I guarantee you there were no Tune-bots, Drum dials, etc back in the day. If you want to be a drummer and a musician, learn to tune your drums. It's all part of the skill set.

Back