Thought I would pass along a tuning issue I was having with one of my drums. A while back I reheaded my Starclassic B/B toms (12” and 16”). While I had them apart I wiped the down, and also checked the screws that fasten the lugs to the shells. I found a few on the 12” that felt loose, so I proceeded to tighten all of them. Gave them a good, firm twist. I then sort of packed this kit away in their bags, as I’ve been mostly playing and working on my Premier kit. Fast forward a few months, and I set the Tamas up again. Well, the 12” tom has been giving me fits for the past few weeks when going for a low tuning. I tried multiple head combinations, and could not get the drum to sound good at a low tuning, It sounded fine if I tuned it up, but low? I was getting all sorts of weird, twangy overtones and odd pitch bends, and not much resonance. The drum sounded choked, except for when I cranked it up. Measured the drum at several spots; drum is round. Checked the edges; everything looks good. After scratching my head over this the past few weeks, I started to think about when I tightened all of the screws inside the drum. So, I took the drum apart, backed off all of the screws, then tightened them back up but only using my thumb and forefinger to just snug them. Reinstalled the heads and hoops, and bingo. In less then 5 minutes I had the 12” putting out a nice, low, resonant tone that paired well with the 16”. All of the weird, choked, twangy overtones were gone. Apparently it is possible to over-torque the lug mounting screws and cause sound issues. Never encountered this before, or even saw it discussed anywhere, but wanted to pass along my findings with this this particular drum. Hopefully this info will help someone out that may be having similar issues. Happy tuning everyone!