Tuning Issue-Solved

gish

Thought I would pass along a tuning issue I was having with one of my drums. A while back I reheaded my Starclassic B/B toms (12” and 16”). While I had them apart I wiped the down, and also checked the screws that fasten the lugs to the shells. I found a few on the 12” that felt loose, so I proceeded to tighten all of them. Gave them a good, firm twist. I then sort of packed this kit away in their bags, as I’ve been mostly playing and working on my Premier kit. Fast forward a few months, and I set the Tamas up again. Well, the 12” tom has been giving me fits for the past few weeks when going for a low tuning. I tried multiple head combinations, and could not get the drum to sound good at a low tuning, It sounded fine if I tuned it up, but low? I was getting all sorts of weird, twangy overtones and odd pitch bends, and not much resonance. The drum sounded choked, except for when I cranked it up. Measured the drum at several spots; drum is round. Checked the edges; everything looks good. After scratching my head over this the past few weeks, I started to think about when I tightened all of the screws inside the drum. So, I took the drum apart, backed off all of the screws, then tightened them back up but only using my thumb and forefinger to just snug them. Reinstalled the heads and hoops, and bingo. In less then 5 minutes I had the 12” putting out a nice, low, resonant tone that paired well with the 16”. All of the weird, choked, twangy overtones were gone. Apparently it is possible to over-torque the lug mounting screws and cause sound issues. Never encountered this before, or even saw it discussed anywhere, but wanted to pass along my findings with this this particular drum. Hopefully this info will help someone out that may be having similar issues. Happy tuning everyone!

Thought I would pass along a tuning issue I was having with one of my drums. A while back I reheaded my Starclassic B/B toms (12” and 16”). While I had them apart I wiped the down, and also checked the screws that fasten the lugs to the shells. I found a few on the 12” that felt loose, so I proceeded to tighten all of them. Gave them a good, firm twist. I then sort of packed this kit away in their bags, as I’ve been mostly playing and working on my Premier kit. Fast forward a few months, and I set the Tamas up again. Well, the 12” tom has been giving me fits for the past few weeks when going for a low tuning. I tried multiple head combinations, and could not get the drum to sound good at a low tuning, It sounded fine if I tuned it up, but low? I was getting all sorts of weird, twangy overtones and odd pitch bends, and not much resonance. The drum sounded choked, except for when I cranked it up. Measured the drum at several spots; drum is round. Checked the edges; everything looks good. After scratching my head over this the past few weeks, I started to think about when I tightened all of the screws inside the drum. So, I took the drum apart, backed off all of the screws, then tightened them back up but only using my thumb and forefinger to just snug them. Reinstalled the heads and hoops, and bingo. In less then 5 minutes I had the 12” putting out a nice, low, resonant tone that paired well with the 16”. All of the weird, choked, twangy overtones were gone. Apparently it is possible to over-torque the lug mounting screws and cause sound issues. Never encountered this before, or even saw it discussed anywhere, but wanted to pass along my findings with this this particular drum. Hopefully this info will help someone out that may be having similar issues. Happy tuning everyone!

Glad you posted ! Sometime over the winter I will or may re head my starclassic bb , and while doing so was going to do as you did and check and snug up everything. I’ll keep this in mind when swapping out the heads ??. Thanks for posting this info ??. I’m guessing you can over torque the lugs( depending on each one’s individual feel). with the rubber gaskets throwing off the vertical alignment on a lug throwing its tuning outta whack. Good looking out ??.

Question since you’ve obviously tried multiple head combos on the bb . What head , in your experience gave you the best sound at lower tunings for that low fat , deep punchy sound . And do you have a bb snare ( size ?) and best head you’ve found for that same fat deep sound on the snare ? Thanks !

gish

Glad you posted ! Sometime over the winter I will or may re head my starclassic bb , and while doing so was going to do as you did and check and snug up everything. I’ll keep this in mind when swapping out the heads ??. Thanks for posting this info ??. I’m guessing you can over torque the lugs( depending on each one’s individual feel). with the rubber gaskets throwing off the vertical alignment on a lug throwing its tuning outta whack. Good looking out ??.

Question since you’ve obviously tried multiple head combos on the bb . What head , in your experience gave you the best sound at lower tunings for that low fat , deep punchy sound . And do you have a bb snare ( size ?) and best head you’ve found for that same fat deep sound on the snare ? Thanks !
I tried coated ambassadors, coated emperors, and clear EC2s on this kit the past few weeks, trying to figure out how to get this drum to sound good. Clear ambassador resos. I put the coated Emps back on after backing off the lug screws, and the drums sound great. Low and fat. I will tune higher for live work when needed, but prefer a lower tuning when just playing at the house. I am tempted to spend a day swapping heads now that the issue is resolved to do some A/B comparisons, but I’m very happy with the coated Emps (which I also use on my Premier kit). Bass drum has an Emad batter/ coated PS3 reso with 5” port. I do not own a B/B snare, so can’t comment on that one.

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

I've sort of suspected this with some Tama's I removed the hardware from to clean a few years ago. I noticed the mounting screws were not very tight. But I've never gone back to investigate why they were like that. It was a todo list item but I never got around to it. Now I know, thanks.

(the drums have since been sold, and yes with the overtightened hardware - used an impact driver, ouch)