Tuning issue resolved using Evans EC2s

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
I've had my new Mapex kit for over a month now. 100%maple, 12x14, 16x16, 16x18 and 18x26 I originally replaced the stock heads with Remo Coated Emperors (batter) Remo Coated Ambassadors (reso). It took me a little over a week to tune the drums the way I like them, I figured this was due to me not being use to the bigger shells. All was well. No problem at first as I really liked (not loved) the sound however I noticed that after a few days of playing they would lose their tune a little. Especially the floor toms.

A few days ago I went out and purchased a set of Evans Coated SST EC2s for my toms. I expected a change but OMG, I didn't expect such a dramatic change. I love the sound, I tuned only once and I've been playing them everyday and no change in tune.I know subtle adjustments are always expected but overall no change. Just sharing an observation.

I agree. They sound great and tune up so easily. I'm currently using those exact heads on my toms for the same reasons. The G2's also tune up great and sound good too. But I do prefer the EC2's.

I agree. They sound great and tune up so easily. I'm currently using those exact heads on my toms for the same reasons. The G2's also tune up great and sound good too. But I do prefer the EC2's.

My next step will be a little sound control in my practice room / office, a set of drum mics and a Focusrite Saffire 40 then I can do some quaity recording, once I learn to record that is...lol

Yah, they tend to decimate the stray overtones that cause the rest of the drum/head to sound bad.

They are still relatively toneful too which is nice. I don't mind EC2's but I like to challenge myself so I use open-sounding heads and compliment them with moon gel whenever necessary. Those 2 ply dead heads are just too easy :)

I really don't rely on my heads on any kit to stay in perfect tune for more than an hour or two, lol.

Dennis

Back