Tuning in Intervals, Tunebot owner here

Incidentally, I think the "hit the shell to find the fundamental" was debunked by Sounds Like a Drum over on YouTube.
Full vid at:

If you've not found these guys yet - some incredible discussions and experimentation with tuning

Well, I'm not the drummer of the band, just the keys player but it's my drums kit and I found so many drummers that don't care about how it sounds because they just want to play that I deciced to learn how to do it...this is my first tuning so, yes, I need to transfer slowly what my ears are telling me form a keys perspective to a drummer perspective...I did that for guitar and bass, with pedals and instruments and my guitarist and my bassist want to use my set now, my pedalboard and my basses or guitars, not their because they said that have never sounded that good with my stuff, so, the thorough guy I amexpect to be able to do the same for drums...
Well, I'm not the drummer of the band, just the keys player but it's my drums kit and I found so many drummers that don't care about how it sounds because they just want to play that I deciced to learn how to do it...this is my first tuning so, yes, I need to transfer slowly what my ears are telling me form a keys perspective to a drummer perspective...I did that for guitar and bass, with pedals and instruments and my guitarist and my bassist want to use my set now, my pedalboard and my basses or guitars, not their because they said that have never sounded that good with my stuff, so, the thorough guy I amexpect to be able to do the same for drums...
Your so right as regards what ears tell us.
I wear hearing aids and because I thought they sounded better I put Evans Calftones on my Safari 10 rack and 14 inch floor tom. One day I made a simple recording with my I phone and those toms were flat out dead and out of sync with each other. So I swapped them out for clear Remo Pinstripes and much better. But I still thought they were a little chocked. Yesterday I was perusing a local classified ad and what showed up but a drum dial.
It said like new and I bought it for $25 Canadian.. they retail for $85 plus tax. Like new it was and just now I tuned Snare and both toms using it and "presto" it's like I got a whole new top of the line kit.
The resonance is so,so much better. I wasn't even close ear tuning. Where has my head been all these years ! No doubt my poor hearing played a part but I just wasn't in sync. I can hardly wait for Covid slow down and get our outdoor Jazz Jams going again. So I ended up with G3 on 14x5-1/2 snare, E3 on 10 x 8 rack and C3 in 14x12 floor tom. Not a pure triad but it's where they sound best. So Horn, Piano and strings folks my apologies.. for 60 + years of torture i've put you through. I'm a devotee of proper tuning now !

Incidentally, I think the "hit the shell to find the fundamental" was debunked by Sounds Like a Drum over on YouTube.
Full vid at:

If you've not found these guys yet - some incredible discussions and experimentation with tuning
See I would want to take this one step further and try and find the resonant note with everything attached to the drum, heads and all, tuned to where I like them. THAT could possibly be useful.

I can't help wondering if the tightness of the heads would alter the resonant note.

Assuming hitting the shell with a fist, not the heads with a stick. Hmmm

Since we're on the subject, I want Sounds Like a Drum to actually unbiasedly check DW's assertion that a DW Collectors shell does indeed make the resonant note stamped. The drum will have to be taken down to the bare shell, no paint or wrap. Just to keep ol JG honest lol

If a Collectors drum gets to be 50, 100 years old, will the bare unfinished shell still resonate at the note stamped?

The world may never know.

Just for S&G, my 10" tom, tuned to where I like it, makes a guitar tuner say D# using it's built in mic. The shell is stamped B

Of course if I tune the drum up or down, the tuner reflects that..

OMG I am in love the sound of these drums but the shell resonances don't work out according to music theory!

Help! <sarcasm>

Last edited:
Full vid at:

He's exactly the kind of super nice guy I would love to meet and discuss with, not only a out drums but everything else, a good buddy he seems to be....The only thing is that I'm more the "speedy" type guy and in his video, just to let people understand, he talks slowly and I always want to push forward in the video, but??

Back