Tune-Ups and maintenance

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

I was wondering as I took apart my double bass pedals, new Ultra-Adjust Gibraltar snare stand, and a couple cymbal boom stands this evening, and tightened, adjusted, lubed, and installed new screws, etc., on all of it---

How often do you all do tune-ups and stuff on your drum equipment? Seems all my stuff is in good condition until I break it down, and then find out a whole bunch of stuff needs attention here and there. I usually just lube my bass pedal bearings once a month with 50 or 60 weight Harley oil. (Good stuff!)

What caused all of this was the fact that I got some "toe limiters" (for lack of a better term) you know- the little thingies that prevent the toe of your shoe riding up too high on the bass pedals, and installed them tonight.

I got to going all thru my equipment and found a loose nut here and there, a worn-out felt washer, an unlubed chain, etc., etc., etc....

I think I'll be doing this weekly from now on, as it seems like "little things" need more attention than I've been giving them.

What's your "tune-up" schedule?

Cheers,
C. P.

It really depends on the drum or drum kit. Some kits actually sound better when they're on the verge of falling apart and have had the same set of coated Ambassadors on them for the past ten years! With my kit, I try to wipe down the shells regularly with a clean rag (since it's a lacquer finish), and whenever I take the hoops off to change heads, I wipe them down and apply a small drop of oil to each tension rod. Grade 0000 steel wool can do wonders for restoring the shine to chrome (I restored a late 70's Sonor Phonic kit this way; it looked showroom-ready by the time I was done!). Also, if I leave my kit in the basement where I practice, I'll cover it with a blanket to keep away dust and moisture. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I do, do it.....but not often enough admittedly. It comes down to 'when stuff squeaks'.

Never heard of 'Harley Oil'. I use 'Singer Oil' (sewing machine oil)......I'll back it's the same deal though!

I do, do it.....but not often enough admittedly. It comes down to 'when stuff squeaks'.

Never heard of 'Harley Oil'. I use 'Singer Oil' (sewing machine oil)......I'll back it's the same deal though!

Harleys, sewing machines - two peas in a pod :)

PFOG, I have the same "regimen, but slacker. If the squeak gets really bad then I'll do something.

Harleys, sewing machines - two peas in a pod :)

PFOG, I have the same "regimen, but slacker. If the squeak gets really bad then I'll do something.

You're always guaranteed for a giggle Poll.......just got home from watching a Zep tribute gig, where I enjoyed a few quiet and friendly ales with some very large, yet very lovely 'Black Ulah' biker dudes......fabulous blokes all of them........but I'd never want to mention that I considered their prized machinery as "two peas in a pod" as my dear old mum's sewing machine!! LOL

Jim Mora's, "Playoffs? ... Playoffs?" Coors Light commercial immediately came to mind...

Maintenance? Maintenance? Did you say, "Maintenance"?

Pfffft. Play it hard until she breaks and then worry about out what you're going to do to fix it...

Cheers!

Hey crew,

Sometimes you guys crack me up!

Ummm, Polly- we REALLY need to talk!
I can't say I've ever ridden a sewing machine cross-country or to Sturgis, and I went out to my garage tonight and couldn't figure out how I could get either of my Hawgs to sew a button on my shirt! Maybe I'm missing something!!! (heh heh)

Hey PFOG- the two are a bit different. Singer oil is about 5 weight (viscosity), and HD oil is 60 weight. (almost gear oil) You could use HD oil on your sewing machine, but it would probably do a wheelie, then a burnout, race out the door, and come back with tattoos on it, and smelling like beer!

Cheers,
C. P.

Unfortunatly I never do any bass drum pedal maintenance. I have a practice kit and a gig kit. The gig kit only sees the light of day once a week or so for the 4 hours we are playing. I will occasionally change heads or tighten things down, but its pretty much out of sight out of mind. Once I get something new, the old peice of the gig kit goes to the practice kit and the practice kit peice goes onto Craigslist or into the pile of crap in my garage.

The bottom line is that I need a drum tech. Anybody know one that will work for free?

Problem is that when I have time for my drums I much rather play them than think about maintenance.
Sometimes my intentions are good, but once I get into drumming mode I just want to play. Occasionally I will dust them off and vacuum the wood dust off the carpet, but I do most maintenance when I have too, like head changing time.

When I was playing 2-3 nights a week, I would change my snare head once a week or as needed. Tom batters every couple of months and resonants about 6 months. Kick batter hardly ever got changed, Like Drifter said, it just sounds better on the verge of falling apart. I clean monthly, clean and buff shell, polish lugs, clean lug threads with 12-24 tap, clean and lube tension rods, polish hoops, check bearing edges and wax if needed. Put it all back together and commence beating.

Now that I am not playing out at all.... I still practice every day, but have not cleaned in about 4 years...lol.

Normally, I do not think about this every time because my setup is particularly in good condition. In spite of the accumulating dust on shells, I seriously take care of my drums each and every day. But once a year, I do the maintenance thoroughly (lube screws, change heads, wipe shells and cymbals, clean cymbals, etc.). It doesn't need so much carefulness during a full year because it's only a practice set. When I'll get a gig one, I'll surely do daily cleanings and maintenance check up.

instead of going to the "STEALER" to buy "Harley" oil you might want to go to Napa and buy some Valvoline or something in 50wt and save about $3 a quart. I run that in my 3 HD's and it'll save lots of $..........

Hey OneGuy,

I would think that you mean "stealership"! Yep, I buy Valvoline 50 and 60 weight racing oil for both my bikes- the hell with "the factory"!

BTW- both my Harleys are pre-evo. My '69 is a Shovester, my '72 is a big fat FLH--all pre- fuel injection, electronic BS, and I can rebuild them myself without $5K of specialty tools.
No "easter egg" paint jobs, no flashy crap, just plain old Americana on 2 wheels.

My '69 has 519,000 miles on it now-- try that with a "modern" bike!

Cheers,
C. P.

Hey OneGuy,

I would think that you mean "stealership"! Yep, I buy Valvoline 50 and 60 weight racing oil for both my bikes- the hell with "the factory"!

BTW- both my Harleys are pre-evo. My '69 is a Shovester, my '72 is a big fat FLH--all pre- fuel injection, electronic BS, and I can rebuild them myself without $5K of specialty tools.
No "easter egg" paint jobs, no flashy crap, just plain old Americana on 2 wheels.

My '69 has 519,000 miles on it now-- try that with a "modern" bike!

Cheers,
C. P.

We're on the same page CP.....!!!!!! I kinda figured that when you mentioned 50-60wt. Mine are all pre '84 stuff also. '39 knuckle, '54 I built with a 93" slabside SS crate shovel squeezed into it, and an '83 shovel. All rigid choppers and I actually ride them all interstate.....

Had a '99 evo and it just sat there for years collecting dust.....nice bike BUT it had NO soul so I sold it a few years ago because I just couldn't warm up to it....

ride safe.......

Hey OneGuy,

Geeze--Shame you don't own one of those new MODERN, NEWFANGLED bikes!

Tell you what I'll do (since I'm a real nice guy and stuff) I'll generously give you a thousand bucks for all those old bikes, and you can use that money for a down payment on one of those Yamahamakawazuski's that look so neato, last so long, and are so comfy to ride while you're arched over the gas tank sitting on you nads! HAAAA! (just kiddin')

Seems we are on the same page- I'm obviously a Harley "dinosaur", but a damn happy one. I'd love to see pics of that 54 S&S, and the 39 Knuck.

See no Evo, hear no Evo, Speak no Evo.

Ride forever, brother,
C. P.

Here ya go CP....sorry for the hijack folks..... Black bike is my main ride and it's longest trip was 5000+ rt. It's been ridin in all states west of Missippi River including MS and TN. Rode '39 to Ore. last summer with a bud on his '59 and we plan to do it again this summer... Lets see that shovester....don't see too many of those around!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/oneguy54/knuckle5.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/oneguy54/build2.jpg

Once again...sorry for the hijack but thread was dead anyways....lol

Hey OneGuy,

Sweet damn rides, brother. That Knuck is classic- nice lines, and the fishtails are a nice touch. I'd need a front brake, though- backing up to the curb without one would do my geezer @ss in!

That Shovel is even meaner. I can see it's been through many a smooth mile on the scenic routes. I'd swear I saw that scoot at Sturgis a couple years back at Glencoe Campground at hooter alley!

I'll post a pic or 2 of mine.

Cheers,
C. P.

Back