Tune-Bot your method

I used the following to compute the note frequencies for major 3rd, perfect 4th, and perfect 5th:

2^(n/12)

where 'n' is the number of semitones between the starting note and the desired note.

Major 3rd : 4 semitones : 2^(4/12) = 1.2599210498949
Perfect 4th : 5 semitones : 2^(5/12) = 1.33483985417
Perfect 5th : 7 semitones : 2^(7/12) = 1.4983069759068

You can also auto-generate a frequency table using the semitone constant c = 2^(1/12), by dividing 440Hz (A4) by 'c' for lower notes, and multiplying by 'c' for higher notes.

That should get you through the frequency lookups and the drum interval selection. The lug constants are from my earlier post (the different resonances - low, med, high):

(batter/reso)
Low: 1.2/2.3
Med: 1.4/2.0
High: 1.5/1.85

That's all the math that's needed I think.

Ok I don't understand everything yet, I need to read a couple of things first, for all this to be clear, I don't even see the general picture. Instead of asking questions and not being able to understand the answer, I'll have to read later.

And to come up with my own spread sheet.

I see this thread is about 7 weeks old, I hope you've somewhat figured out your tune bot.
A friend of mine purchased one and brought it over to the house. I was surprised how close I was to the tune bot tuning by ear. But I was shocked by using the bot to dail in the last 10 to 12 hz how much of a difference that it makes in the sound. I downloaded the tune bot app to calculate, its probably been mentioned. Anyway, I play a 4 piece and I attached a few sheet shots of what sounds good to me. If I ever have the extra $$$ I would strongly consider buy one.
I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience with it. The Tune-Bot takes the wonkiness out of tuning, for sure. I have no doubt that folks who like the way their kits sound when tuned by ear would love the way they sound when cleaned up a bit more.

I see that we use similar snare drum tunings though mine are typically a bit lower. I tend to stick around 300 over 392 though 312 over 400 works for me too.

Wooowwa! The thread is not even 2.5 weeks old yet! It took perhaps 4 hours to figure out the tune-bot in the first days.

The complicated part was to find the right interval and to start all over again because either the interval was wrong or too high. Now I like the tuning of the drum very very much and I saved it with the tune-bot.

That's a wonder, so I don't need to start the process of finding my favorite interval no more. In my case, I had to change the notes from the calculator to something else as I was unsatisfied with the results.

(That part is to be investigated further)

The devices helped me very very much in the process of understanding how to tune a drum, 150$ to learn for a couple for days basic stuff but very important stuff, Then, the reward is the "save state" with the device. ;)

More then that, I can do it right now.

The sound of my drum is providing me high satisfaction right now, the toms are sweet and spot on with what I had in mind. It's a shame I am not very good at soloing right in time yet.

I hope it's going to happen some day, cool but smooth jazz soloing on the drums.

I'll have to try these out.. I have a bunch logged i'll post later. I know for me about 390-395 snare reso and 250-350 snare batter always hits the money spot. My toms depend on the drum and head choice,

I'll have to try these out.. I have a bunch logged i'll post later. I know for me about 390-395 snare reso and 250-350 snare batter always hits the money spot. My toms depend on the drum and head choice,

Seems like it's the standard to have the snare at 390 - 400, but I need to question more and to test this further, I think it's not improving things at low volume buzzing for me. The snare chains are not working like in my imagination.

I think things were better with my reso head at around 350.. I want to get to the bottom of this. When I get the new tune-bot Studio, my first mission will be to find my perfect resonant head tension for the Snare, rework all this from scratch. but by keeping the same fundamental note of the drum.

Seems like it's the standard to have the snare at 390 - 400, but I need to question more and to test this further, I think it's not improving things at low volume buzzing for me. The snare chains are not working like in my imagination.

I think things were better with my reso head at around 350.. I want to get to the bottom of this. When I get the new tune-bot Studio, my first mission will be to find my perfect resonant head tension for the Snare, rework all this from scratch. but by keeping the same fundamental note of the drum.
For the snare the fundamental matters slightly less to me as much as the crack. I prefer a quick gunshot sound though. I find with a tighter snare reso the buzz is pretty plesent and not overbearing.

the type of snare you have does matter. I tune my wood snares different than my brass, steel etc. your tom tuning could be interfering too.

For the snare the fundamental matters slightly less to me as much as the crack. I prefer a quick gunshot sound though. I find with a tighter snare reso the buzz is pretty plesent and not overbearing.

the type of snare you have does matter. I tune my wood snares different than my brass, steel etc. your tom tuning could be interfering too.

Ok ok well we will see tomorrow about the snare, it's going to be a snare day, a snare tuning session! I want to test various settings for it, various head tension especially for the resonant head, putting asside the specific note, I want to get the best crack and the best rebound.

The good part, I can always go back to previous state with the tune-bot, where I like the fundamental note.

The Studio version has arrived too and the Hi-Range option works like a charm around 350hz at least.

pPjh3uU.jpg

It's going to be fun tomorrow!

Ok ok well we will see tomorrow about the snare, it's going to be a snare day, a snare tuning session! I want to test various settings for it, various head tension especially for the resonant head, putting asside the specific note, I want to get the best crack and the best rebound.

The good part, I can always go back to previous state with the tune-bot, where I like the fundamental note.

The Studio version has arrived too and the Hi-Range option works like a charm around 350hz at least.

pPjh3uU.jpg

It's going to be fun tomorrow!
Thanks for the picture of the TB Studio. I'm doing fine with my TB, though I don't know what version it is. It has a filter button, but no high range functionality that I can tell. But I don't recall any issues reading up to 400Hz for the snare reso readings.

8 pages on the Tune-Bot. Is this a sign we're narrowing down on a perfected solution. Or do we say that, after reaching double-digits, a tool can't possibly be useful if it takes so much effort to master? I'm half-ass kidding of course.

Thanks for the picture of the TB Studio. I'm doing fine with my TB, though I don't know what version it is. It has a filter button, but no high range functionality that I can tell. But I don't recall any issues reading up to 400Hz for the snare reso readings.

8 pages on the Tune-Bot. Is this a sign we're narrowing down on a perfected solution. Or do we say that, after reaching double-digits, a tool can't possibly be useful if it takes so much effort to master? I'm half-ass kidding of course.

Ah I don't know, I think the tune-bots I bought are maybe the newer models with a cheaper and an expensive version while before there was only 1 version doing it all. The Gig version can't do the job in the 300s Hz but this one can do it, not flawlessly, with the Hi-Range mode still it's pretty good.

It was enough to tell me that the lugs of my resonant head were at 360hz, I thought they were at 398 at least, according to the fundamental note I had.

Previously my snare looked like this:

Fundamental note: F3 - 177hz (Free)

Batter center: F3 - 177hz (Muffled)
Lugs: C4 - 259Hz (Muffled)

Resonant Center: F3 - 175hz (Muffled)
Lugs: F4# 361Hz (Muffled)

After my latest experiment of reducing the tension of the resonant head a bit: (I get strange results)

Fundamental Note: F3 - 177hz (Free)

Batter center: F3 - 175hz (Muffled)
Lugs: C4# - 270Hz (Muffled)

Resonant Center: F3 - 176hz (Muffled)
Lugs: F4 - 340Hz (Muffled)

Don't know what to think of this but the note on the snare, I like it, it goes well with my toms. The fundamental note is almost the same as it was previously.

I tried to tune a snare at the store yesterday and the guy told me that the chains were too tight, I had that same problem here at home and he was right. So I found the lowest possible tension for the snare wires and adjusted them just a bit above until I liked the sound. I had a lack of response from the snare wires at low volume buzzing, they were simply not responding, now they do.

But I can't tell if the difference is caused by the lower lug tension of my reso or in fact if the problem was only related to the wrong tension of the chains themselves.

;)

Frankly I don't see a whole lot of difference in the sound between the resonant lugs at 361 or 340.. perhaps I get more rigning from the snare when hit in the center with the lugs at 340

Frankly I don't see a whole lot of difference in the sound between the resonant lugs at 361 or 340.. perhaps I get more rigning from the snare when hit in the center with the lugs at 340
You do realize you've reduced drumming to lug frequencies. That's about as boring as trying to dodge slippery slugs on Oregon streets! :)

You do realize you've reduced drumming to lug frequencies. That's about as boring as trying to dodge slippery slugs on Oregon streets! :)
It's natural to go a little overboard when you start using a Tune-Bot. I certainly did. ?

Once I learned how to get the drums in tune with themselves, I got busy experimenting with different intervals between heads and specific intervals between the drums themselves. I tried a bunch of artist's tunings and eventually started messing around with different drum heads to see how that all fit together. I spent countless hours at it.

What's interesting is that along the way, I learned how to tune by ear by repeatedly going through the motions and achieving great sound. I think that much ado is made about losing this ability when using a tuning device but on me it had the opposite effect.

Nowadays I am content to set and forget my kits as I have settled on two 'scenes' that work for me and the styles of music I play. It has been fun and interesting getting here.

It's natural to go a little overboard when you start using a Tune-Bot. I certainly did. ?

Once I learned how to get the drums in tune with themselves, I got busy experimenting with different intervals between heads and specific intervals between the drums themselves. I tried a bunch of artist's tunings and eventually started messing around with different drum heads to see how that all fit together. I spent countless hours at it.

What's interesting is that along the way, I learned how to tune by ear by repeatedly going through the motions and achieving great sound. I think that much ado is made about losing this ability when using a tuning device but on me it had the opposite effect.

Nowadays I am content to set and forget my kits as I have settled on two 'scenes' that work for me and the styles of music I play. It has been fun and interesting getting here.

That's exactly it for me too! it helps developing the ear skill. Right now I can achieve a similar result by ear only, nothing is lost because of the tune-bot, I don't feel any dependence.

It's simply a very good learning tool.

I never tune bot my method in public or on forums. Some things are just too personal.

Hemm I don't really have an agenda with drumming other then understanding and reproducing Jazz (Perhaps having some fun too). It's a fascination and I always considered the subject to be something very complex like mathematics or physics, something that the majority of people would never understand in their whole lifetime.

But really I do it for myself.. I know there is no money involved nowhere in the line. (Perhaps this is messed up mind set too, I am way off the laws of attraction and abundance of the illuminati by thinking like that but it's ok, no problem ?)

Otherwise I am not sure exactly where would be the line of public and personal, I don't see it yet.

I have a TuneBot Studio and I think it's great with my toms. Especially when I change heads so I can use it to get my previous tuning back quickly. However, I can never seem to get this thing to work right with my snare. The readings are always all over the place on the reso head. I always disable the snares and slip a drum stick under them that rests on the rim when using it. My TuneBot reads all over the place. I just tune the snare by ear now.

I have a TuneBot Studio and I think it's great with my toms. Especially when I change heads so I can use it to get my previous tuning back quickly. However, I can never seem to get this thing to work right with my snare. The readings are always all over the place on the reso head. I always disable the snares and slip a drum stick under them that rests on the rim when using it. My TuneBot reads all over the place. I just tune the snare by ear now.

You should try the Tune-Bot Gig it's literally impossible to get consistent readings in the high 200hz 300hz. With the Studio Model and the Hi-Range mode, it's not perfect but it works at least.

I had success getting all the lugs of the reso head close to 340 with the Hi-Range then after, equalizing all of them with the difference mode.

The sensor is not perfect but in the end it worked 100% for me.. Considering that the resonant head is the only head causing problems, if there was a 3 minute waste of time because of bad readings.. I still consider this a major success.

I found the tune-bot a bit too complicated. Since I don't tune to specific notes, my priority is for even tension across the drum's surface. So I prefer the Drum Dial.

I found the tune-bot a bit too complicated. Since I don't tune to specific notes, my priority is for even tension across the drum's surface. So I prefer the Drum Dial.
I've never used the drum dial, but how do you choose a starting tympanic pressure on the drum dial to coincide with the desired frequency you want? Thanks

Back