Trying to pick different hi hats: Mostly Zildjian for my choices, however. . .

Old Dog new Cans

So, I'm in the market to get a different pair of hats. I've been checking videos left and right. . .there's only a single music store locally and their prices are very disagreeable. I will be buying online eventually and 50/50 on them being used.

I have vintage New Beats. I want something different. I'm leaning dry/dark. So no A customs (they seem bright to me yeah?). I am entirely open to non Zildjians as well. I like the look of the Istanbul Agop Xist line. Also the Instanbul Mehmet Origin Dark hats.

I'm also curious how size will effect sound, tone or pitch, volume. From what I can gather in the vids, the 13s seem slightly higher pitched and 15s lower. But I am honestly adding some guesswork into that. I've had NO experience with EITHER 13s or 15s. ALWAYS played 14" new beats since freakin' forever.

BTW, I have Zildjian S Mastersound hats. If I play some heavy/metal/rock stuff, they'll be great. But, man, they project and are BRIGHT.

As far as Sabian/Meinl/Paiste. . . .I can't seem to find hardly anything from these manufacturers in my price range.

I'm looking for $200 to $300, closer to $260 and below, but it depends on what they are.

I know a lot of the Dry/dark cymbal lines "seem" to be geared towards Jazz music. At least it seems that way? I will not be playing much jazz, I guarantee that. Just not my thang.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Man hi hats are tough. I would factor in more dough, and go to mycymbal.com and listen to their offerings from all the different manufacturers. You get the exact cymbal you hear online.
Hi hats are the hardest cymbals to buy IMO. But at least you can hear a bunch of pairs from the comfort of your home to narrow down (or nail) your choice. With headphones of course. Really, for how long they last and for all the punishment they endure...cymbals are a great value.

I can only suggest my favorite hi hats, Soultone's "Vintage Old School 1964" series of hi hats. I have 3 pair. Love em.

Last edited:
Man hi hats are tough. I would factor in more dough, and go to mycymbal.com and listen to their offerings from all the different manufacturers. You get the exact cymbal you hear online.
Hi hats are the hardest cymbals to buy IMO. But at least you can hear a bunch of pairs from the comfort of your home to narrow down (or nail) your choice. With headphones of course. Really, for how long they last and for all the punishment they endure...cymbals are a great value.

I can only suggest my favorite hi hats, Soultone's "Vintage Old School 1964" series of hi hats. I have 3 pair. Love em.

I run across a lot of their vids on YTube. Under $300 may not get me what I want. But I am seeing some great K's used in the $250 range.

Interesting! I did not listen to any Soultones. . .I will check them out. (y)

There was a comparison video posted on these forums a week or so ago that shot out a bunch of different 15" hats. I was pleasantly surprised by the Paiste Dark Energy. I'm sure they're expensive, but maybe you can find a good deal on a used set?

FWIW, I've used 14" new beats for forever, too. Istambuls are very good. Also, Paiste Traditionals. Good luck! (y)

Check out Meinl Classic Custom Dark hats. Amazing sound and great price. I'm surprised how much I like them since I don't care too much for the rest of the Classic Custom Dark series.

Zildjian K Custom Dark 14 hats are the best I've heard for my taste but they're expensive.

I know a lot of the Dry/dark cymbal lines "seem" to be geared towards Jazz music.

It might depend on how thin they are. All my crashes and hats are zildjian dark/dry and I mostly play metal. The sound just right to me.

Last edited:
Check out Meinl Classic Custom Dark hats. Amazing sound and great price. I'm surprised how much I like them since I don't care too much for the rest of the Classic Custom Dark series.

Zildjian K Custom Dark 14 hats are the best I've heard for my taste but they're expensive.

It might depend on how thin they are. All my crashes and hats are zildjian dark/dry and I mostly play metal. The sound just right to me.

Interesting on the Meinls. . .I have a 16" Classic Custom dark crash. It's not as dark and trashy as I'd like. Honestly, I didn't even consider them. But I will check some vids. (y)

Thanks for the heads up on the dark/dry cymbals and the fact you play metal. Yes, I definitely like the sound of the K dark/drys.

Yes, jdavis. Some Paiste and Meinl are way out of my price range, and simply aren't found used, in similar price ranges as K's and some of my other choices.

I’m wondering what kind of music you want to play with them.

Oh. . .uhm Rock, blues, pop, funk, R&B. Some heavier rock, some not. As far as playing, I like a lot of different genres/styles. . .Reggae after I actually practice playing it.

I love my 14 in Zildj K Mastersound hats, but those Paiste Dark Energy hats on the recent shoot out video blew me away (dang they are expensive though).

Take this with one or two grains of salt as my cymbals do tend to be vintage. I do have some 70s NBs that get rotated in once a month or so but my answer to your problem was to think like a 50s or 60s drummer and swap hats depending on need. Before the New Beats, drummers went down to their music store and matched hats according to their needs. After the NBs, Zildjian started to market HHs as a pair almost exclusively, though you can still generally split up a pair if you think something sounds better.

For jazz and other light music types, I use my mid 1950s 14s. 727g/826g.

When I want the volume up for blues, funk or rock (with a darker tone) I go with the second pair (2 pics) which are 15s from 1960 (T) and 1935 (B). 870g/1455g.

You can basically find scads of vintage Zildjians from the 30s to the 60s that when interchanged give you dozens of sound choices you just can't find in a new pair made today.

Each of the cymbal pairs (purchased as individuals) cost me about $200.

Pete

50s.jpg15-B.jpg15-T.jpg

I love my 14 in Zildj K Mastersound hats, but those Paiste Dark Energy hats on the recent shoot out video blew me away (dang they are expensive though).

Oh man, yeah. I dig those Paistes as well! I've watched that vid 3 or 4 times and always rewind when I get to those dark energy puppies. Definitely not willing to pay $600+or whatever they were. Wow.

Don't get me wrong guys. I'll have a hard time beating my New Beats. I got lucky finding those. I just want something different sonically.

Take this with one or two grains of salt as my cymbals do tend to be vintage. I do have some 70s NBs that get rotated in once a month or so but my answer to your problem was to think like a 50s or 60s drummer and swap hats depending on need. Before the New Beats, drummers went down to their music store and matched hats according to their needs. After the NBs, Zildjian started to market HHs as a pair almost exclusively, though you can still generally split up a pair if you think something sounds better.

For jazz and other light music types, I use my mid 1950s 14s. 727g/826g.

When I want the volume up for blues, funk or rock (with a darker tone) I go with the second pair (2 pics) which are 15s from 1960 (T) and 1935 (B). 870g/1455g.

You can basically find scads of vintage Zildjians from the 30s to the 60s that when interchanged give you dozens of sound choices you just can't find in a new pair made today.

Each of the cymbal pairs (purchased as individuals) cost me about $200.

Pete

View attachment 88174View attachment 88175View attachment 88176

Pete, I totally get what your saying. I like vintage, I have no problem at all with them. I like the dry dark cymbals. Not all, some are just horrible to my ears.

I'm still up in the air about my choices. I may wait, save a bit more, buy some nice used Ks. But I'm seriously considering 15" Arborea Ghost hi hats or Instanbul Agop Xist dry dark 13" hats. I cannot find the Xist in 15s anywhere. I'd prefer 15s.

Xist 15" hi hats. Again, I wouldn't call them dark. Kind of in the middle.
Mycymbal.com rocks.
The Xist cymbals IMO are the best value going in cymbals these days. I have 3 - 21" rides. I'm super happy with all 3. One is my gig ride, one is my recording ride, one is on my practice kit ride. I also have 2 - 18" crashes, one of which I love on my gig set and the other of which I like a lot on my practice set..All bought online from mycymbal.
Xist's are non hand hammered Agops, on par with Zildjians and Sabians, for like 40% less. I encourage everyone here to give them a listen.

I'm surprised I don't hear about them more here.

Last edited:
Xist 15" hi hats. Again, I wouldn't call them dark. Kind of in the middle.
Mycymbal.com rocks.
The Xist cymbals IMO are the best value going in cymbals these days. I have 3 - 21" rides. I'm super happy with all 3. One is my gig ride, one is my recording ride, one is on my practice kit ride. I also have 2 - 18" crashes, one of which I love on my gig set and the other of which I like a lot on my practice set..All bought online from mycymbal.
Xist's are non hand hammered Agops, on par with Zildjians and Sabians, for like 40% less. I encourage everyone here to give them a listen.

I'm surprised I don't hear about them more here.

The hats in that video sound great, but I'm confused. All the other videos of Xist 15s I've found look and sound different than the ones in the video. It's almost as if they switched the process for making them.

I know there's a Brilliant version, but I'm not talking about those.

Here's an example. These sound nothing like the Xist 15s you linked. These sound much brighter and.....cheaper.

From where I sit, it looks like the first run of Xist cymbals WERE hand-hammered (like in the video you linked)...but they did a switcheroo to cheaper methods after that.

EDIT: Yeah, here's another video I just found. They are NOT the same hi hats. They were changed.

These sound great like in the video you originally linked. They sound a lot like Zildjian K Lights to me, maybe even better.

Last edited:
I will be buying online eventually and 50/50 on them being used.
As far as Sabian/Meinl/Paiste. . . .I can't seem to find hardly anything from these manufacturers in my price range.
I'm looking for $200 to $300, closer to $260 and below, but it depends on what they are.
Buy used .... and not only will you save some cash ..... but if you make a good purchase, and later you sell, you recoup most or all of your cash back.
My current lineup of hats that fall into the "dark" category, and what I paid for 'em .....

Sabian 12" VFX hats $190
Sabian 13" HH EQ's $197
Sabian 14" XSR Monarch's $197
Sabian 18" AA Sick Hats $324

Just keep doin' some searches ..... fall down a few internet rabbit holes ..... watch some video's ...... you'll find what you need/want .....

I have 14" Dream Bliss hi-hats and they're great, especially for the price I paid. (only $190 at my local shop!) They're quieter than my New Beats, but not as quiet as, say, the Sabian XSR Monarch hats. They will work for the music you play, and be a nice compliment to your New Beats.

I've watched all the Dream Bliss videos and they seem to be very consistent. The guy at my local shop said the same thing. I wouldn't have a problem ordering them online, tbh.

Back