Trying to pick different hi hats: Mostly Zildjian for my choices, however. . .

The Xist Dry Dark hats come in 13” and 17”, I believe. I’m blown away by that line. I know you said you’d prefer 15” hats, but for around $300 or so, you’d have the 17”...
Demo here .....

Check this page out. It is all the 15" Xist hi hats in both series, in every finish they offer, that are available right now.
Click on the picture of the cymbal to listen to it.

The Xist Dry Dark hats come in 13” and 17”, I believe. I’m blown away by that line. I know you said you’d prefer 15” hats, but for around $300 or so, you’d have the 17”...

I've seriously considered the 17s. . .but, I don't really want to go that big. 15s are a nice middle ground.

Buy used .... and not only will you save some cash ..... but if you make a good purchase, and later you sell, you recoup most or all of your cash back.
My current lineup of hats that fall into the "dark" category, and what I paid for 'em .....

Sabian 12" VFX hats $190
Sabian 13" HH EQ's $197
Sabian 14" XSR Monarch's $197
Sabian 18" AA Sick Hats $324

Just keep doin' some searches ..... fall down a few internet rabbit holes ..... watch some video's ...... you'll find what you need/want .....

Harry, I don't have a lot of Sabians come up in my searches, I rarely search them specifically. They obviously hold their value like you explain. I'm watching a vid as I type this. . .Listening to the EQs. I dig them. And, there's a used set on Ebay. Thanks Harry, for adding a few choices for me. I'll definitely consider some of these in the future.

I'll listen to the Dream Bliss as well. I've heard them before, been a while.

Bosphorus Turk hi hats sound good, but they're more for jazz

The hats in that video sound great, but I'm confused. All the other videos of Xist 15s I've found look and sound different than the ones in the video. It's almost as if they switched the process for making them.

I know there's a Brilliant version, but I'm not talking about those.

Here's an example. These sound nothing like the Xist 15s you linked. These sound much brighter and.....cheaper.

From where I sit, it looks like the first run of Xist cymbals WERE hand-hammered (like in the video you linked)...but they did a switcheroo to cheaper methods after that.

EDIT: Yeah, here's another video I just found. They are NOT the same hi hats. They were changed.

These sound great like in the video you originally linked. They sound a lot like Zildjian K Lights to me, maybe even better.

Hmm, those remind me of my 15" Giant Beats. They have a similar chick sound and wash. Cool.

jdavis, you mentioned the Paiste Dark Energy hats on the first page. I responded, said I liked them etc. Posted this on another forum
and may be working out a deal for a pair, $250!!! If the deal doesn't work out, I've basically decided on the Arborea Ghost hats. The 2 actually sound very similar in my ears--especially with the chick sound. The slosh and wash are different. The Paistes sound heavier.

This has a nice comparison of Arborea's offerings in the hi hat arena

The Paiste Dark Energy hats here

I played the signature dark energies and signature traditionals side by side and bought the traditionals. Sounded and felt more articulate and less chunky.

jdavis, you mentioned the Paiste Dark Energy hats on the first page. I responded, said I liked them etc. Posted this on another forum
and may be working out a deal for a pair, $250!!! If the deal doesn't work out, I've basically decided on the Arborea Ghost hats. The 2 actually sound very similar in my ears--especially with the chick sound. The slosh and wash are different. The Paistes sound heavier.

Wow, that'd be a killer deal if you can work it out. Good luck either way! (y)

The Paiste Dark Energy hats are mine. I really like the Arboreas though. If those are still around in a few months. . . .

Thanks for the posts and opinions.

I got a pair of 15" Zildjian K Light hi-hats recently. I listened to the hi-hat episode (https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/drummers-weekly-groovecast/e/51827733) of Drummer's Weekly Groovecast podcast and both hosts commented that they found a pair of these in very specific weights that were like magic. Not only in terms of sound, but feel under the sticks. I found a pair that were a little heavier than they had at my local music store and I loved them so I bought them. I'm very happy with them. My first pair of 15s and I love the contrast to my 14" New Beats. They are definitely lower pitched and I really like the "chick" sound they give. They're also almost impossible to choke; I can put all the weight of my leg on the hi-hat pedal and they still produce a pretty meaty sound. Might be worth checking out.

Back