Trying to find a nice set!

mickey-

Hey, still trying to get ahold of a set and I was wondering about this one. I’ve heard pearl is pretty good and want to know your opinions. Again I know about nothing about drumming. But I’d rather buy a set now that’s good than have to rebuy a “non practice/beginner one” in about two/three years. Thanks so much! (Pics below)FDC03786-CAF7-4542-ADCB-748E4D567D86.jpeg

Attachments

• 47CB3F36-237A-4BFE-9178-8633AAFAB86A.jpeg
    47CB3F36-237A-4BFE-9178-8633AAFAB86A.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 03F576ED-C834-43A5-9D47-3D218220EA2E.jpeg
    03F576ED-C834-43A5-9D47-3D218220EA2E.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 22
  • E1A95CF0-2DF5-4E66-A881-92FA1CE1883C.jpeg
    E1A95CF0-2DF5-4E66-A881-92FA1CE1883C.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 23
The issue with that kit is that the toms are very deep, which is a fad that went away 20-25 years ago. They still sound ok, but you won't be able to position them as easily as shallower toms. Unless you're in a Motley Crue cover band, I'd probably go for something more modern.

What's your budget? If you can give us your general location we can look at your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for something better.

The issue with that kit is that the toms are very deep, which is a fad that went away 20-25 years ago. They still sound ok, but you won't be able to position them as easily as shallower toms. Unless you're in a Motley Crue cover band, I'd probably go for something more modern.

What's your budget? If you can give us your general location we can look at your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for something better.
Thanks for replying! My budget for them at the moment is around 100-200$ I’m thinking about waiting if I can’t find anything around that. I’m in the NC/Greensboro area

Thanks for replying! My budget for them at the moment is around 100-200$ I’m thinking about waiting if I can’t find anything around that. I’m in the NC/Greensboro area
If your budget is only $200 then that Pearl Export is a great deal. You won't find anything better for the price. Might as well buy it and get to drumming right away. You can upgrade later.

Btw, the bass drum doesn't match. It's a newer Pearl Export bass drum, and the rest of the Pearl Exports are older. Not a big deal though, especially considering the price.

I would buy a practice pad instead and collect more money to get another drum.. Although, I wonder about the no brand cymbal there, if it could be a priceless gem, like an old K.

It's hard to tell, but the cymbals look like they are from one of Sabian's better lines. The hammering of the Hi Hat reminds of Sabian HH (not 100% sure though) and the Ride should be an AAX. So the crash might also be good. I can see a Remo head on the resonant side and Evans batter heads in presumably good condition which is a definite plus!
If this is about $200 and the cymbals and stands are included, it's an absolute bargain! Get it and don't worry if you want to sell the shell set in a couple of years - you won't find a better deal soon!

Last edited:
It looks pretty good to me. It's better than the kit that I started on. Sabian cymbals are decent. If everything is included then it might trade for about USA $ 400.

You always have to start somewhere. I played my first kit, a pawn shop special for over a decade. I agree, with the cymbals and everything, I'd grab it up and not look back. Save up and buy some new heads. Enjoy

As mentioned the deep toms are harder to place, but it's a good deal.

Getting into drumming for $200 is a bargain.

Next things you want are a pad and some instruction. Then you go from there.

Do it. It's an Export. Take care of them and they will last forever.

If you are just starting, dont worry about a mismatched kick or deep toms. You are new and have no idea what you like yet, that kit will be just fine.

The crash next to the Caddy is an AAX. The hats look to be the same. Again, DO IT!

Do it. It's an Export. Take care of them and they will last forever.

If you are just starting, dont worry about a mismatched kick or deep toms. You are new and have no idea what you like yet, that kit will be just fine.

The crash next to the Caddy is an AAX. The hats look to be the same. Again, DO IT!
Deep toms notwithstanding, that's a great deal for a reliable kit. Pearl won't let you down. See my forum ID.
It's a good deal, for that price. Kick, snare, hi-hat, ride ...... those are the 4 main components you're gonna use the most. You've got those 4 elements here, solid.
What they all said. +1

Look at Guitar Center's used section. Lots of decent kits for cheap.

Back