Trying to decide which kit to sell

EricT43

First-world problems, right? I've got 4 kits, and I told my wife I'd finance the newest one with the sale of one of the older ones.
  • Sonor SQ1 - 22/10/12/14/16 (newest, I'll post pics in another post, keeping this one)
  • Sonor Vintage Series - 20/12/14
  • DW Collector's - 22/8/10/12/14/16
  • Yamaha Stage Custom - 22/10/12/13/14/16 ("beater" kit, keeping this for rehearsals and dive bar gigs)
Initially I was thinking I'd sell the Sonor Vintage Series kit, since I don't have as many uses for it, most of my playing being in classic and modern rock bar bands. I love the sound of the kit, but a 20" kick and 14" floor tom don't cut it for everything I do. If that went, I reasoned, it would leave me with a nice birch kit (SQ1) and a nice maple kit (DW).

But recently I've started thinking that the SQ1, DW, and Yamaha kits all sort of occupy a similar space. 22" kicks, sharp bearing edges, and so on, any of them could do the job of the other in most situations. Whereas the Vintage Series kit, with it's smaller size and rounded bearing edges, would perhaps give me a larger palette of sounds to work with. So this has me thinking that I'd sell the DW kit.

I know there is no right or wrong answer here, but I'm curious what some of you would choose to do and why.

Hi EricT. I think you answered your own question IMO. Or sell the DW & Vintage if you use the Sonor only once an awhile. Wish you the best on whatever you decide.

Last edited:
I would sell both the DW and Yamaha Syage Custom kits personally . DW Collectors kits are really well made drums that love being tuned just above wrinkling . Once you start to tune higher they start to sound thin . That is no slight as they are designed to favour that deep fat sound . It is a bit of a one trick pony though.

“Beater “ kits are a dime a dozen and you could find a better used higher level kit to use as your beater kit as the market is flooded .

I have a Sonor Vintage 20/12/14 kit and I use it for all types of gigs . It is very responsive to head changes and has a very wide tuning range . Don’t sell these drums short .

The SQ1 are keepers for sure . One of the best sounding Rock kits I have ever played and the snares are very underrated .

I would sell both the DW and Yamaha Syage Custom kits personally . DW Collectors kits are really well made drums that love being tuned just above wrinkling . Once you start to tune higher they start to sound thin . That is no slight as they are designed to favour that deep fat sound . It is a bit of a one trick pony though.

“Beater “ kits are a dime a dozen and you could find a better used higher level kit to use as your beater kit as the market is flooded .

I have a Sonor Vintage 20/12/14 kit and I use it for all types of gigs . It is very responsive to head changes and has a very wide tuning range . Don’t sell these drums short .

The SQ1 are keepers for sure . One of the best sounding Rock kits I have ever played and the snares are very underrated .
Yeah, I love the snare on the SQ1, it sounds great. I've only ever used coated Ambassadors on the Vintage kit, I suppose I should experiement with some others.

I had thought about selling the Yamaha kit, but honestly I wouldn't get much money for it, so decided to keep it for now. But you're right, I could probably get into a used kit of a higher caliber if I shop around.

Sell the DWs and SCs. Both could be replaced with ease, should you decide to kick yourself in the future. I can’t see how the kicking would ever cease if you sold the Vintage kit. If you don’t play them, use them as decor. There aren’t prettier drums anywhere.

You didn’t tell us what kit you are looking to buy. This would impact the decision on what kit to sell. Otherwise, the DW would be the one to sell with it’s decent resale value.

I think you should sell the DW.

As you already mentioned you probably won't make any money on the Stage Custom and it fulfills the "beater" kit role perfectly.

This way, you'll be a "Sonor Guy" with a rock kit and a jazz kit.

The ONE reason I would keep the DW and sell a Sonor, there are a crap ton of DW's in the used market. I don't see nearly as many Sonor kits. I would think right now, you might get more dough selling a Sonor. JMO (y)

The ONE reason I would keep the DW and sell a Sonor, there are a crap ton of DW's in the used market. I don't see nearly as many Sonor kits. I would think right now, you might get more dough selling a Sonor. JMO (y)
Good point, but for a local sale, I'm sure the DW's will do much better. Very few people in my area play Sonor, but there are lots of DW fans around here.

Back