Trying out some second line styles

Stroman

Platinum Member
Here are a couple of quick phone vids of me trying out second line styles. One has a syncopated bass drum, and the other has a simple 4 on the floor bass drum. They are mercifully short. :)

I'm pretty new to this style, and I've been making a lot of changes to the way I play, due to some physical issues, so I'd love to hear any feedback you'd care to offer. Thanks!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Love your blue sparkle kit-one of my first was blue sparkle. The phone recording sounds pretty good-as you do to. I like the second one better. It's fun trying new styles-I love to push myself to.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Love your blue sparkle kit-one of my first was blue sparkle. The phone recording sounds pretty good-as you do to. I like the second one better. It's fun trying new styles-I love to push myself to.
Thanks, Art. I like the second one better, too. I played better, and it seems to flow more nicely. The second line bands seem to use a lot of bass drum syncopation, though, so I wanted to try that. Of course, they normally have a separate snare drummer and bass drummer, so I'm just approximating anyway.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I try and slightly swing the faster notes - not quite 2/3rds and 1/3rd, but not 50/50 either. Gives it that lilting 'playing in the cracks' feel.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I try and slightly swing the faster notes - not quite 2/3rds and 1/3rd, but not 50/50 either. Gives it that lilting 'playing in the cracks' feel.
Good feedback - I *felt* like I was swinging them more than I was, when I went back and listened again. Back to the shed!