Truly Unique?

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
Having just recieved a nice rebate from my bank I decided to celebrate by finally changing my ride cymbal. I'm still in something of a budget contious mode so I opted for a lovely used little Paiste number.

I've been meaning for some time to round out my paiste collection, but my recent searches have rekindled my love for all things shiny. This got me to thinking.

The competion between all the cymbal manufacturers is so fierce these days and they all sport such extensive product ranges that the lines seem more blurred than ever between each company.

So my question to you all. Does any manufacturer these days make a truly unique cymbal in terms of sonic character that no other manufacturer has an equivalent of?

Ignore looks and if you can brand prejudices, and I realise its very subjective, but interesting I think.

Oh and for the sake of argument, lets ignore the really out there wacky stuff!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Hard to say. It's a loaded question. Allegiances and all that. I am a mixed brand guy, mostly Zildjains and Sabians all my life. Which I still like. Lately, I find Soultones and Istanbuls make sounds that I like, but are just a little different than Zildjains and Sabians. More complex, and richer, but still in the same vein I gravitate towards. There's something about a cymbal hand hammered by some Turk in a disgusting loud factory that just works for me. They really have the skill coupled with an ear for cymbals over there.

I have to order them on faith, only hearing them on their website though. Hey, whatever it takes.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
To me Paistes stand out. I can usually pick them out. The rest fuggetaboutit. I can't tell from a listeners (as opposed to a players) POV.

Stroman

Platinum Member
You've created a tough challenge here, because you want something truly unique, yet you want to rule out the really wacky stuff! To me, the really wacky stuff is the only truly unique sounding stuff out there.

A ride cymbal should sound like a ride cymbal, shouldn't it? It's all just nuance and small variables once we define what we want as a ride...

All that aside, I like Istanbul Agops, Sabian HHX, and Paiste 2002s. To me, these provide as wide a range of ride sounds as I'm apt to need!

Good luck on your search!

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
Hard to say. It's a loaded question. Allegiances and all that. I am a mixed brand guy, mostly Zildjains and Sabians all my life. Which I still like. Lately, I find Soultones and Istanbuls make sounds that I like, but are just a little different than Zildjains and Sabians. More complex, and richer, but still in the same vein I gravitate towards. There's something about a cymbal hand hammered by some Turk in a disgusting loud factory that just works for me. They really have the skill coupled with an ear for cymbals over there.

I have to order them on faith, only hearing them on their website though. Hey, whatever it takes.
Oh yes it definately is a loaded question. But I've spent the last few days, purely for my own amusement listening to various cymbal companies sound files and review videos on youtube. I originally thought I would find much more uniqueness between brands. But almost every cymbal line from one company could be matched by an equivalent from another.

I too am very much a mixed brand guy. I've always just bought whatever sounded good or I needed or found at the time.

Its probably a very expensive and unachievable goal but I'd quite like to own at least one cymbal from every manufacturer.

To me Paistes stand out. I can usually pick them out. The rest fuggetaboutit. I can't tell from a listeners (as opposed to a players) POV.
A few days ago I would have agreed with you, but there are a few other brands I've found that are very close to the paiste sound (I'm thinking the silvery thing with the 2002s here). Conversly Paiste are producing some really 'zildjian K' sounding stuff at the moment.

You've created a tough challenge here, because you want something truly unique, yet you want to rule out the really wacky stuff! To me, the really wacky stuff is the only truly unique sounding stuff out there.

A ride cymbal should sound like a ride cymbal, shouldn't it? It's all just nuance and small variables once we define what we want as a ride...

All that aside, I like Istanbul Agops, Sabian HHX, and Paiste 2002s. To me, these provide as wide a range of ride sounds as I'm apt to need!

Good luck on your search!
Oh I'm happy buying the odd wacky cymbal and this isn't something I'm looking for, just an observation.

For example I've listened to every single ride cymbal from paistes current range and the sound files they have up of the discontinued stuff. There are at least 20 cymbals there I would love to own. Some sound very similar to each other and some quite different. But out of all the cymbals I picked a brief look at Meinl, Bosphorous etc I found very similar cymbals.

My thoughts really are that sound/tone differentiation isn't a key focus of the cymbal manufacturers marketing plan these days like it perhaps used to be. Instead the manufacturers are working more on pushing their production methods and looks. Case in point Larry's completely non sound orientated passionate vision of the production process.

Personally some cymbals I just love the look of and for example I hate the Sabian logo and love the paiste logo (the old school one on the underside these days). Those are the kindof buttons the companies are pushing now and not necessarily unique sonic qualities.

How about a 24" 1/2 Turk Novo Ride?

http://youtu.be/cQZMVBeKxiI

Thanks,
Matt
Ok Matt, you have me there. I can't think of anything else that sounds like that. Nice ping juxtaposed with that trashy sound when shouldered. In a couple of days there will probably be an equivalent show up on the Zildjian website! :)

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
Any crashes in the Murat Diril Black Sea range :)
From a few quick listens thats an interesting series. Just checked out a mega bell ride that looks quite thin, soft and glassy sounding with a touch of darkness and yet the crashes are very dark and short. I'm now trying to find a youtube clip of a whole black sea set!