Truly Iconic Cymbal Models

Neal Pert

Silver Member
You may like them or you may hate them, but what do you think are the widely acknowledged iconic cymbal models? Get as specific as you can, and justify your reason. I'll start with an easy one:

14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats: In a sense no real explanation is needed. Everyone's had a set at one point or another and they're on a billion recordings. The pairing of a heavier bottom cymbal with a lighter top became the template for most modern hi hats.

I've got lots more I'd list, but I'd like to hear what you think.

2002 Splashes ala Stewart Copleand

2002 China - ubiquitous in 1980's Rock

Last edited:
Zildjian K/Z hi hats. Weckl played a 13” pair way back when, so they’re probably the most iconic size. But I prefer (and used to own) a 14” pair.

Paiste Rude cymbals

Metal staple for sure...even if not so much any more

A Zildjian series as mentioned above by @toddbishop for sure too

The Zildjian Earth Ride was way ahead of its time in terms of (some) drummers seeking overly-dry cymbals. Most companies subsequently offered dry rides (and crashes) but none are quite like the Earth Ride... love it or hate it.

I have an original 20", just for fun of course. :)

The Zildjian Earth Ride was way ahead of its time in terms of (some) drummers seeking overly-dry cymbals. Most companies subsequently offered dry rides (and crashes) but none are quite like the Earth Ride... love it or hate it.

I have an original 20", just for fun of course. :)
Do you love it or hate it?

New Beats, Paiste Sound Edge hats, 2002 24" ride, Sweet Ride, Raw Bell Dry Ride, Wuhan china, Holy China, Sand crash/ride, K/Z Hats come to mind.

Zildjian Z Custom Dyno hats
Zildjian China Boys high and low

Sabian HH Classic Ride no longer in production (Alan White from Oasis used)

Paiste Crystal crashes with the tapered and not rounded bell tops

Zildjian A & K (Inc Sabian equivalent), Paiste 2002s

That pretty much covers everything

Nick Mason’s Paiste 2002 ride 18”

Paiste Giant Beat 20”

Zildjian Crash of Doom

Along with the aforementioned

Paiste Sound Creation Dark Ride 22”

Zildjian Swish Knocker 22”

Back