Tru tune

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Just happened on an interesting little innovation 3 years too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8QJFKTn0Sw

Any time I rehead my kit I find the whole experience very slow so I have dreamed up something similar.

I'll probably just got and get a drill bit though.

I can see some worthwhile advantage in time if you do this every day to multiple drums, but for the average hobby player? I do like the even tension / head seating default feature though.

26" bass drum version would be amusing ;)

Do you have a drill + tuning key drill bit or do you just do it all by hand?

I use a Black and Decker elec. screw driver to take lugs out and then finger tighten when I put them in. Then I use my Evans Torque key to put the lugs very close and tweak with my ear. The snare drum in the video was way to low for me, and so low that one couldn't tell if the lugs were even close to being in tune with each other. I tested it by tuning 8 snare drums and toms in 30 minutes. I can spare that amount of time when I buy new heads.

If I did this all day on an assembly line, sure. For my use, just needing to find a place in the house to store even more crap I don't need, not really.

The person with the drill was in slow motion. I use a an 18v drill and could be faster than any of those in the vid.

TRU TUNE needs all the key ends to be pointing in the same direction for the plastic wheel to line up and go on, this becomes automatic after you use it the first time, should you tweek with a drum key alignment is off, if you use TRU TUNER for the complete tuning process the keys will stay aligned. First time on a drum TRUE TUNER would lose that race.

That thing looks like a pain in the ass.
I've never been in that much of a rush where two keys wouldn't suffice.

It reminds me of the people selling a cymbal cleaning jobbie made out of a cotton candy machine.

My 20v Porter Cable cordless drill can spin at 1600 rpm's. Tension rods come fully loosened in less than a second each. I agree with Odd-Arne, I don't need more crap in my house. 3 kits with hardware and cymbals for all is taking up most of my basement. No need to add more stuff.

Back