Troubleshooting loose beater mount, Iron Cobra 600

mdurso

Hey all - been working through a problem with my Iron Cobra 600 single pedal. The allen screw that connects the beater to the shaft (screw on the right in the image below) started coming loose in the course of a couple minutes of play. I swapped it out - the screw, the mount, and the shaft - but the same problem began almost immediately. I'm trying to figure out if there are any solutions short of buying a new pedal - a glue usually applied when manufactured or something else? Any help is appreciated
IMG_3144.jpg

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You can:

Use teflon tape in the same way you would use it to keep pipes from leaking.

Use Loctite 243 and hope it stays.

Tap a new hole and upsize the Allen screw.

Drill a small recess into the crossbar and cut threads into it as well as the beater holder. Use a longer Allen screw to join the beater holder and crossbar.

These are your basic fix options short of spot welding, JB Weld (<--I will personally hunt you down...), or buying a new pedal.

If you go the tap/bigger screw route, use the Loctite 243 as well.

someguy01

Drill it through into the shaft, thread the hole in the shaft and then the set screw will actually seat into the shaft and you'll not have problems again. Most likely your problem is the grade 3 set screw has most likely experienced thread stretch. A higher grade set screw can help as well.

lefty2

Platinum Member
You should not have to drill retap Etc. Sounds like to me you're just not getting it tight enough in the first place. I wouldn't go any further than putting Loctite( a glue specifically for nuts and bolts) on it or Teflon tape. I have never tried using Teflon tape for that purpose but it might be a good thing to do. It's definitely cheap and easy to try.

roncadillac

Hey all - been working through a problem with my Iron Cobra 600 single pedal. The allen screw that connects the beater to the shaft (screw on the right in the image below) started coming loose in the course of a couple minutes of play. I swapped it out - the screw, the mount, and the shaft - but the same problem began almost immediately. I'm trying to figure out if there are any solutions short of buying a new pedal - a glue usually applied when manufactured or something else? Any help is appreciated
View attachment 97271

I also was going to suggest teflon tape, a 2-3 'passes' (wraps) should be plenty.

I've owned three different Tama pedals featuring that same part just in the last ten years (4 total in the last 20 years) and have not once ever had that part come loose, let alone strip out. Leads me to believe it may be something you are doing, especially since you replaced it all and it happened again. I don't take great care of my pedals either, I'm very heavy footed, I gig frequently, and I throw my pedals into a hardware bag.

mdurso

I also was going to suggest teflon tape, a 2-3 'passes' (wraps) should be plenty.

I've owned three different Tama pedals featuring that same part just in the last ten years (4 total in the last 20 years) and have not once ever had that part come loose, let alone strip out. Leads me to believe it may be something you are doing, especially since you replaced it all and it happened again. I don't take great care of my pedals either, I'm very heavy footed, I gig frequently, and I throw my pedals into a hardware bag.

hey, I was able to secure it using teflon tape and some loctite - very likely my fault, as my technique is shit - need to work on keeping that heel down!

roncadillac

hey, I was able to secure it using teflon tape and some loctite - very likely my fault, as my technique is shit - need to work on keeping that heel down!

I still have trouble keeping my heel down as well haha. And I hope I didn't offend when I said 'something you are doing'! Happy the teflon tape worked. Keep a roll in your stick bag just in case. Along with some picks... Damn guitarists lol.

notvinnie

Heel up or down shouldn't matter. If the screw is loosening, something is wrong with the pedal. I'm sure it's covered under some sort of warranty.