Trouble with 20" Ludwig bass drums and Remo heads

Soupy

Silver Member
So I'm having an issue with 20" bass heads not fitting the counter hoops on my 20" Ludwig classic maple bass. The 20" Remo heads all have a step which protrudes above the head's flesh hoop, as detailed here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=583956&postcount=15

The wooden counter hoop on my bass sits against that step, not against the metal flesh hoop on the head. There is a large gap, 1/8" or so, between counter and flesh hoop, the counter hoop slides around, the drum doesn't tune well and sounds dead.

So I went through the inventory of heads at my local music store, and every 20" Remo head has that step. On the other hand, every 22" Remo bass drum head has that step properly sunk into the flesh hoop. So Remo definitely isn't manufacturing heads consistently between sizes.

With that said, even with that step on the 20" heads, some 20" bass drums will work fine with Remo heads if the counter hoops are a little larger in inside diameter or if they were built with a slight chamfer cut on the inside edge of the hoop.

My question for the forum is: If you have a 20" bass, do you use Remo heads, do you know if your heads have the protruding step as detailed in the link above, and do your bass drum hoops fit the head properly?

Even though it looks like the problem is the way Remo builds their 20" bass heads, I want to figure out if everyone's drums has fit issues, or if Ludwig happens to build their hoops undersized. The inside diameter of my Ludwig bass hoops is 20 3/32". Anyone have a tape measure handy and want to compare the inside measurement of their hoops?

Im using a Remo 20" Monogramed smooth white Ambassador as a reso on my Pearl Forum bass with no issues.
I also use 16" and 18" PS3 and Fiberskin bass heads on my other kits from Sonor and Mapex with no problem.
My 20" Forum bass has a steel hoop.

I have heard of others having this problem with remo heads before, all I can suggest is maybe try an Aquarian head as they are made a bit larger than some of the others and if its still tool snug they also make their "vintage" line which is made even larger to fit older drums that need over sized heads.

I don't use Remo heads on my 20" Ludwig Classic Maple bass drum, but at the present time I'm using an Evans EQ4 and it's working out great. I did put a 3" wide piece of felt sandwiched with the resonant head for a very well balanced sound. I've also heard of people having problems with Remo heads and some shells.

Dennis

Thanks, guys. Evans or Aquarian may well end up being the real solution here.

Anyone else have a 20" bass? Not as many as I'd thought.

Anyone have a tape measure to throw against their hoop to measure the inside diameter?

I'm having a similar problem, but in reverse. I have an old Ludwig Silver Dot that will not seat properly on my Church's Gretsch Blackhawk 22" kick.

Old thread, but I'm having the same issue with a Ludwig Classic Maple 14"x20" bass drum and a newly purchased Aquarian Force 2 reso head.

The drum sounds okay, but the counter hoop on the head is not touching the wooden bass drum hoop. I guess it's fine, but it's frustrating.

If you use heads other than the Ludwig brand heads you'll need to buy new hoops, or live with it. I have the same problem.

If you use heads other than the Ludwig brand heads you'll need to buy new hoops, or live with it. I have the same problem.

Well that stinks. LOL... Wish I realized that before I bought a new Aquarian reso head, cutout a mic port, used goo gone to remove the Aquarian logo, and ordered a new replacement Ludwig logo. Urgh.

Could very well be that my ears arent as good as others when it comes to hearing differences, but Im not so sure i hear any bad things going on wth the new Aquarian reso head. Maybe Im lucky.

What if you tighten the head until it seats against the hoop? Is that possible?

I never noticed this. I have an old 20" Slingerland bass drum, and could not get a good sound out of that drum w/Remo heads. I threw an Aquarian Force 1 on there at some point, and the sound improved. Not great, but passable. I just measured the hoop, and the ID is 20 1/16". Never considered that the hoop ID/head combo might be at fault.

OTOH, My 20" Tempus sounds fantastic with just about any head. The shell is undersized, and the hoop has a 20 1/4" ID.

This seems like a Ludwig problem more than a Remo problem. I use them in sizes 10,12,13,14,15,16,20,22 and 24. I've never seen anything like what you have.

I'll guarantee you that the folks are Remo have heard of this problem, and have a solution to it. Give them a call.

GeeDeeEmm

This seems like a Ludwig problem more than a Remo problem. I use them in sizes 10,12,13,14,15,16,20,22 and 24. I've never seen anything like what you have.
Yeah, I experienced the same issue with my old Slingerland, and I see as a hoop ID problem.

There an old thread about this issue. I'll try to find it. It has to do with the way the collars are formed on the heads. Ludwig was different than the other manufacturers.

Back