Triplets

Good Karma

I've been working on them for well over a year now 2- 3 times a week for 20 to 30 mins at a time - RLK, with the aim to get a fluent roll around the kit, but a while ago I reached a plateau and can't seem to get any faster , so moving around the kit , snare to Rack to floor is still quite slow. I see others doing it very fast! Very frustrating for me ! I use a digital metronome so I can get the spacing right. I'm beginning to think I'm just not capable of getting any faster! I recently decided to go RLK on snare to LRK on rack tom then RLK on floor tom to see if this would help with speed and fluency, it didn't seem to. Its been a very frustrating 12 months - part of me says at 67 years old and basically playing for fun , just give up, but the other part of me wants to continue the challenge!
Dont be quieter, slow and steady finishes the race.

Good Karma

I've been working on them for well over a year now 2- 3 times a week for 20 to 30 mins at a time - RLK, with the aim to get a fluent roll around the kit, but a while ago I reached a plateau and can't seem to get any faster , so moving around the kit , snare to Rack to floor is still quite slow. I see others doing it very fast! Very frustrating for me ! I use a digital metronome so I can get the spacing right. I'm beginning to think I'm just not capable of getting any faster! I recently decided to go RLK on snare to LRK on rack tom then RLK on floor tom to see if this would help with speed and fluency, it didn't seem to. Its been a very frustrating 12 months - part of me says at 67 years old and basically playing for fun , just give up, but the other part of me wants to continue the challenge!
ResizedP_giphy_175053308238272.gif

basset52

Thanks! I meant to add that I initially took a lesson so I would get off to the right start. That teacher suggested I use a metronome to get the spacing right. I've looked at just about every YouTube video on the subject - there's a lot of WHAT to do but not a lot of HOW to develop a fast fluent , rolling RLK around the kit. Maybe I've not looked in the right places!

If you feel like your triplets are not evenly spaced and you're more comfortable with binary rhythms, you can work on it in 3/4 time:
Code:
1 2 3
R L K

1 + 2 + 3 +
R L K R L K
Or you play it in 4/4
Code:
1 e + a 2 e + a ...
R L K R L K R L ...