Triplet Stuff in Non-Triplet Music - Visa Versa

Jayson

Sometimes you might hear straight 16th notes in jazz fills and comping and I'm sure triplets are thrown into non-triplet rock. How do you all feel about this sound and have you tried it?

Well, some might think it wouldn't sound good - but it definitely has it's own twist and sounds good to many probably.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Creates a moment of tension which can be effective in the right situation. Quads in bop jazz help a harder edge, whilst still staying in the tempo.
Slow triplet fills are common in Latin music, like the drum introduction to Smooth and some phrases in Sway.
There was a thread a couple of years ago about triplet fills in Rock. Examples included La Bamba (Los Lobos version), and the end of Sweet Child of Mine.
In the swing song ‘Hallelujah I love her so’ there’s a “knocking .... on my door” bit which works well.
Most of these are used as a once off effect. As soon as you use it too often it loses its sense of surprise.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I loooooove doing this! Its so much fun, but you have to be able to make the switch flawlessly. This is where working out of those pages in Stick Control (I think they're page 5?) is crucial, at least for 8th notes and triplets.

I find playing 16th in swing time easier than triplets in straight time, but your mileage may vary.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Agreed that it’s fun and can create some tension, spicing up the performance, but you definitely have to learn when it sounds good and/or if it’s appropriate. If it’s done too much when the music doesn’t need it, then you sound too busy and you’re just messing up the time, and that doesn’t feel good for the band or the dancers. So as always, seasoning is good, but not too much.

Jayson

It's tough to write non-triplet stuff in a swing rhythm (as in below a triplet thing with a 3 on top). Is that possible with music notation software?

Iristone

I learned that trick from Keith Moon (he did a lot of this on, say, Who Are You) and have been using it ever since. Now sextuplets... I pull it off from time to time to annoy my bandmates... err, I mean, to create a wall of sound. That's where things get demanding for your speed and stamina.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
It's tough to write non-triplet stuff in a swing rhythm (as in below a triplet thing with a 3 on top). Is that possible with music notation software?
Write ‘straight 8ths’ above the phrase and group in twos, or simply write the rhythm you want (eg 4x 16ths) without the triplet sign.