Triple Flanged v. S-Hoops v. Die Cast

MikeM

Platinum Member
So I have this Supra 6.5x14 that has the 1.6mm hoops on it. They seem to deliver sweet rimshots, but the sound seems weak if the hit isn't a rimshot. So I tried a 2.3mm and that sounded a lot better. Then, I borrowed a friends die cast hoops and I really love the way the non-rimshot is so cracky, but an actual rim shot sounds incredibly harsh to my ears.

I'll probably get the 2.3s but there are these S-hoops out there that I have zero experience with. Their marketing calls them somewhere between a 2.3 and a die cast. I have no idea what to make of this statement. Are they all the non-rimshot crack of a die cast with the sweet rimshot of a triple flanged? That would be great! Or, is it the other way around with the harsh rimshots of a die cast?

If anyone could shed some light on this for me, that would be awesome!

Die Cast hoops are heavier producing a more dampened drum sound, triple flanged always work. My favorite though are the stick-saver kind. There are a couple companies producing them now.

I love s-hoops - I have them on my 70s black beauty and they really work - stable tuning, focussed sound but not as dry as die-cast. They protect your bearing edges and are easier on the wrists - look cool too.

I don't have experience with the S hoops, but have messed around with die cast and triple flanged quite a bit.

Die cast hoops will focus the sound and can be helpful for taming down ringy drums. Works well on some metal drums. Sometimes a bit much on wood drums. I was running die cast on a few steam bent snares. The plus side is that rim shots and cross sticking is more pronounced than with triple flanged. The triple flanged hoops produce more ring but rim shots and cross sticking is more subtle.I guess it's a matter of trying to get the drum to open up, or tame it down.

Lately I've been using die cast on the snare side and a triple flanged on the batter side for wood drums. It opens up the drum but not as much as triple flanged on both sides. I like this combo.

For genres that use a lot of cross sticking die cast on the batter side is a good way to go also. Sound is just so subjective. Try messing around with a combination of die cast and triple flanged and see if that works for you.

Let us know how the S hoops work out if you go that route. I've heard a lot of good things about them. Might have to try a set.

HTH

Do wood hoops, like Yamaha's maple wood hoops, create a dry, focused sound like die-cast hoops? Where do wood hoops fall on the spectrum of flanged to S-Hoops to die cast?

I have S-Hoops on everything, 12x7, 13x7, 14x10ft, 16x14ft, even my new Truth walnut 5.5" with birch re-rings. Every kit should come with these hoops. Open and sweet.

On top of sounding great they have the added benefit of protecting your bearing edges.

And... they are true stick savers. It's very hard to splinter the middle of your stick when rim shotting because the stick makes contact with such a relatively large area, and that area has no sharp edges like a reg triple flanged.

I even put them on my '88 Tama heavy birch 30 ply snare. The S-Hoops helped the snare not sound so much like a tom.

Attachments

• Truth 13x7a (Medium).jpg
    Truth 13x7a (Medium).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 3,194
  • Truth 12 2 (Medium).jpg
    Truth 12 2 (Medium).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3,093
Back