Oh boy…the big unveiling!!
Lemme see lemme see!!!
B stock?

Last edited:
Reactions: I-P

Stroman

Platinum Member
Very nice!!

One of my great regrets is that I ruined a 402. I bought it new in the 80s, and by the late 90's the chrome was pitting. I should have just kept playing it, but no. I had it powder coated in a hammered texture, and it ruined the sound. I was so upset!

Enough crying about spilt milk - I hope you enjoy the heck out of it for many years! They're great drums.

Philaiy9

Very nice!!

One of my great regrets is that I ruined a 402. I bought it new in the 80s, and by the late 90's the chrome was pitting. I should have just kept playing it, but no. I had it powder coated in a hammered texture, and it ruined the sound. I was so upset!

Enough crying about spilt milk - I hope you enjoy the heck out of it for many years! They're great drums.
Sorry to hear that. How ruined are we talking, a subtle difference or unplayable?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Sorry to hear that. How ruined are we talking, a subtle difference or unplayable?
No, not unplayable. But it made the drum really REALLY dry, and a little choked. It just lost that sweet Supra sound. I can't even think of a drum to compare it to.

I sold it, and presumably the new owner doesn't mind the sound. 🙃

Redbeard

So shiny and chrome (Mad Max reference)...Congrats!
Besides the great sound, these snares are just fun to look at! I know Ludwig had some issues in the past with chrome flaking off the aluminum over time, but the modern ones seem to hold up well. As much as other brands have copied Ludwig (black nickel over brass), I'm not sure anyone else offers chrome over aluminum. It's so much more visually appealing than the typical gray finish.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Nice! May it give you years of musical joy. Peace and goodwill.

Ronzo

I may hafta take one of my snares in and see what they give me for a trade.
Always wanted a Supraphonic.:love:
How are the stock heads?

Tiges

When I got mine I changed the head the next day to a remo emperor coated but still have the original bottom head on it sound wise real clean sensitive great crack and awsome resonance thats why its the most loved snare drum ever made for recording and live.:love:

I-P

I may hafta take one of my snares in and see what they give me for a trade.
Always wanted a Supraphonic.:love:
How are the stock heads?
They seemed alright, but I replaced them immediately with Remo Ambassador Coated batter and Ambassador Hazy reso.
It also ships with 18 strand Ludwig snare wires. I put on a steel set of standard Tama 20 strands I had laying around new in packet.

So to be honest, I really didn't give the stock heads or the stock snares wires a run.

Philaiy9

Besides the great sound, these snares are just fun to look at! I know Ludwig had some issues in the past with chrome flaking off the aluminum over time, but the modern ones seem to hold up well. As much as other brands have copied Ludwig (black nickel over brass), I'm not sure anyone else offers chrome over aluminum. It's so much more visually appealing than the typical gray finish.
I respectfully disagree--I always thought brushed aluminum like on the Acrolite looked cooler, in a space age kind of way. To each his own...