Tried a head, didn't like it, basically brand new, what to do?

roncadillac

Title says it all and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is in this boat. I've got x3 18" evans and x1 18" Tama (mesh) bass drum heads, x3 Evans 12" heads, plus a few ludwig/Remo factory heads in 10", 13", 14", and 16" that are mostly 'brand new' for conversation sake with x1 of the 12" Evans heads showing minor stick marks... What to do with these? They are in way too good of shape to just throw away (most have less then 1 hour of play), I don't keep an abundance of drums around to necessitate a stock of heads, and I havent had luck selling them on CL or Reverb because they are considered "used" heads. Any ideas?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I have at least two large boxes filled with NOS heads that I've somehow stockpiled over the years. A few months ago I was looking for a particular head and realized that I have 6-8 new 10" heads in everything from clear Ambassadors to black pinstripes. Same situation with snare and bass drum heads. How does this happen? Well, over the course of fifty years of playing the drums I've unnecessarily picked up heads from closing music stores, bought new styles that I ended up not liking, and storing original takeoffs.

What to do with them if you can't sell them? Well, first find a large box or two . . . . ;)

GeeDeeEmm

Old Dog new Cans

Title says it all and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is in this boat. I've got x3 18" evans and x1 18" Tama (mesh) bass drum heads, x3 Evans 12" heads, plus a few ludwig/Remo factory heads in 10", 13", 14", and 16" that are mostly 'brand new' for conversation sake with x1 of the 12" Evans heads showing minor stick marks... What to do with these? They are in way too good of shape to just throw away (most have less then 1 hour of play), I don't keep an abundance of drums around to necessitate a stock of heads, and I havent had luck selling them on CL or Reverb because they are considered "used" heads. Any ideas?
You could post them in the wanted ads here. If they're Ludwig specific, that may bring some more views. Nothing wrong with Ebay. I've actually purchased some "hardly used" drum heads on ebay. Price them to sell 10-13 bucks a piece average.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Keep them. Tastes change and so do gig requirements. With respects to the mesh heads. CL will help you get pennies on the dollar for them. You never know though, you just may find yourself in a forced silent practice situation like me someday. Could always trigger them...

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I have a bunch of semi-used drum heads but even though they take up a little more room than I wish they did, I keep pretty much everything that isn't truly worn out.

Changing needs or switching sounds is a big reason, but especially with snare drums I find that heads respond differently on different drums, and sometimes that dud head (or dud drum, for that matter) can really come alive with the right match up.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
save it as a spare. your tastes my change.. sell it dirt cheap or donate. They are not a high ticket item. not much you can do. lesson learned

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I have a bunch of semi-used drum heads but even though they take up a little more room than I wish they did, I keep pretty much everything that isn't truly worn out.

Changing needs or switching sounds is a big reason, but especially with snare drums I find that heads respond differently on different drums, and sometimes that dud head (or dud drum, for that matter) can really come alive with the right match up.
I change my heads OFTEN. Every time I record etc. I save em up, when I get about 25 used heads in GOOD condition (no dents, pitting etc) I'll sell em as a pack.

Guys who rebuild love buying full sets of heads. or peopel who have super old heads on their kit, or others that want to experiment.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I agree with the person who said store them and try them again in the future. Your tastes might change, or you might be selling a kit one day and you can put ‘new’ heads on it from your stockpile.

dmacc_2

All of my heads that are in good to new condition, stock snare wires I swap out for others, sticks and hardware all get donated to one of the few elementary schools in my area. I cast an email to all three band directors and generally within 1-2 days I get a response. They put everything to good use.

Mustion

Drum heads are kind of like underwear: once they're put on, that's it. Nobody will buy them used (would you?) and they obviously aren't returnable. Your two best options are to keep them to try again later, or donate to somebody.

roncadillac

Drum heads are kind of like underwear: once they're put on, that's it. Nobody will buy them used (would you?) and they obviously aren't returnable. Your two best options are to keep them to try again later, or donate to somebody.
I guess you've never walked by the underwear section of the Daytona Beach Goodwill lol. I'll buy an old sport coat but boxers? No thanks!

Well, I would and I have (not the underwear buying thing, to make this clear). If they have been used only slightly, I don't see a big issue if you can get a good set for less than half the price. Say, you just bought a cheap set without bottom heads and you can find decent resonant heads for $20, that's a nice deal for a beginner. The problem with most used heads on ebay is that it's mostly a rather wild mix (3 24" resonant heads, 1 8" Hydraulic head, 2 15" PS3 and so on). :)

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
You will have a next to impossable time selling "used" heads even in new condition unless you have about 25 of them. Even still don't expect much for em.