Trick Dominator Thread

Pavlos

I did a search on thread titles and didn't find one just for the Trick Dominator. I'm currently shopping for a new bass pedal. I want one that can be a single and convert to a double and is direct drive.

Any opinions on this pedal are welcome. I'm wondering how it compares to the Trick Pro1V, Axis and/or other pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5j1K2EYP1I

I notice in the video the stroke adjustment settings are not available for the Dominator. How big a deal is it not to have this? Is the Pro1V worth the extra $75 for the single? I'm going to start with a single and maybe expand to a double later.

Thanks in advance for any info

Just for reference, I have a Sonor Giant Step and have owned DW7000 and 5000 chain driven pedals. I've tried the Axis out at the store and really liked it but haven't tried the Tricks yet.

To me the stroke adjustment and the footplate would be worth it. The base on the Pro seems a little sturdier to me. I've never played one so I can't comment on that but from a standpoint of design for me I'd end up with the Pro if I was looking at those two. That is after I went and tried them out to see if I even liked them ;-)

This is important to know: the Dominator is a longboard. Apart from that, the action is as smooth as the Pro 1-v, and I would imagine it's identical to the Trick Bigfoot (the Pro 1-v longboard.)

It allows the same connection and upgradability as the Pro 1-v. If you wanted, you could have a Dominator on side and a Pro 1-v on the other!

Bermuda

Hmm... I've been thinking about buying these pedals, and I probably will. But about the beaters, I'm talking about those all silver beaters with the kind of wheel looking thing on the top, are they really really light? they look to me as if they wouldn't hit very hard....

Aside from that, I'm sold! You can even split the double into two singles!

But about the beaters, I'm talking about those all silver beaters with the kind of wheel looking thing on the top, are they really really light? they look to me as if they wouldn't hit very hard....

Those are great! They weigh the same as the standard DW/Gibraltar felt-plastic beater, so there's plenty of oomph. I got some extras for my Pro 1-v pedals. Those play and look great!

Bermuda

Pavlos;56402 [url said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5j1K2EYP1I[/url]

I notice in the video the stroke adjustment settings are not available for the Dominator. How big a deal is it not to have this? Is the Pro1V worth the extra $75 for the single? I'm going to start with a single and maybe expand to a double later.

The slide-track feature is one of the bigger pluses, especially if you play on different bass drums. Just the opposite of the Giant Step, where you have to leave the docking station on one bass drum, or jump through a 'hoop' changing it.

The guys at Trick are pretty cool, they 'might' sell you a stroke adjustment to use on a Dom,

Thanks for the info guys.
Les
I have the Giant Step now and the docking station is a great conveniance for setting up quickly at a gig with my bass drum that has it mounted, but it is kind of a pain to switch between bass drums if I had to. You have to make sure you have an allen wrench to do this. I think you're right that the slide track feature is a plus.

Bermuda,
Thanks for bringing up the point about the longboard. I wasn't even thinking about that. Now I need to go search the threads for longboard vs shortboard. I've never tried a longboard.

I'm still a bit confused though about the 3 way stroke adjustment on the Pro1V though (which is not on the dominator). By moving the beater assembly back and forth wouldn't that be the stroke adjustment too? Maybe it just creates a difference in feel which is what the point of all these adjustments are for?

Important question I've got:

Is the Pro-1V, in your PERSONAL opinion, worth the extra $200+? I mean, does a stroke adjustment cluster, more titanium parts, and a base plate justify spending 140% of the Dominator's price? Personally, I LOVE the look of the Pro-1V, but if I'm spending another $200+ (to add on to $550) on pedals, I want it to be worth it, you know?

Important question I've got:

Is the Pro-1V, in your PERSONAL opinion, worth the extra $200+? I mean, does a stroke adjustment cluster, more titanium parts, and a base plate justify spending 140% of the Dominator's price?

Because the Dominator is only a longboard, they're different pedals and really can't be compared. But if you ask how the Dominator compares to the Bigfoot (the Pro 1-v longboard) that's a fair question. Assuming you like the Bigfoot with the footboard set to the middle position, you'd like the Dominator and find that they feel pretty close - if not identical - and I'd tell you to save some money and go with it over the Bigfoot.

Bermuda

Because the Dominator is only a longboard, they're different pedals and really can't be compared. But if you ask how the Dominator compares to the Bigfoot (the Pro 1-v longboard) that's a fair question. Assuming you like the Bigfoot with the footboard set to the middle position, you'd like the Dominator and find that they feel pretty close - if not identical - and I'd tell you to save some money and go with it over the Bigfoot.

Bermuda

Ok, great! I think I'll do that... I do rather love the fact that it's a longboard, seeing as I play heel-toe all the time :)

Back