Trick Dominator Double Bass Pedal

Moejo

Im looking to purchase this double bass pedal and I have a few questions.

1. Its hard to tell from the pictures I have found but does this pedal have spikes to stop from movement or is it velcro ?

2. I have not found this pedal being sold anywhere with a case. For $600.00 you would think it would come with a case. Does it ?

3. Is this pedal fully machined or is there any casting ? From the pictures I have found it looks to be all machined.

4. Does it have the adjustment room like a DW 9000 or Pearl Demon Drive ?

5. Anyone owning this pedal can you please provide some input on likes or dislikes ?

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
I used to own one.

1) It has no spikes, only velcro.

2) It doesn't come with a case.

3) It's all machined. Very well machined too, built like a tank.

4) You can set the beater and the footboard independently. Like all pedals, it has a spring tension adjustment, but with the Trick, you just have to turn a knob to tighten or loosen the tension.

5) I used to own this pedal, but foolishly sold it. I promptly gave more money to Trick by buying a Bigfoot. The pedal is almost identical to the bigfoot other than the adjustment cluster (which allows you to change the attack), as well as a solid baseplate - the Dominator has a latticed plate, but don't worry. It is not like one of those pedals with a couple of metal rods as a base plate. It is a full plate, with spaces in between. Very stable. I liked it a lot when I had it.

Moejo

Thanks alot. Im getting ready to buy new gear. And I still can't decide on a pedal. I don't have a music store near me. I live in the boonies and am going to buy blind. I've played 5000, and 9000 but I want a direct drive pedal. Can't decide on which one to buy. It's a toss up at the moment between the dominator, the pearl demon drive or go back to a DW 9000.

I'd say if you've always played chain stay with the DW. I had the 5000's all my life and switching to direct drives to this day has been difficult. I think you can't go wrong with the 9000's.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I made the huge mistake of buying Trick pedals while my playing was still in early stages of development. I never got used to the compression spring. I think if I were to try them now that my footwork has developed and is less finicky, I might love them.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Pearl really nailed it with including a case.. Trick and Axis don't provide one.. I did get the felt case from Axis and it's quite nice,, but also costs a fair bit. They sell a hard case also.

I'd highly suggest trying them all at a music store because direct drive is a completely different feeling than chain drive.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I'd say if you've always played chain stay with the DW. I had the 5000's all my life and switching to direct drives to this day has been difficult. I think you can't go wrong with the 9000's.
This.

I still have my 5000 I bought when they first came out & love the feel, adjustability & ease of use.
They really scored with that one.

Never had a use for the double version of this, but I'm sure I'd get used to it. :-D

I've heard nothing but goodness about the Trick shaft. Smooth and solid for a great upgrade.

Up2Speed

I am not promoting Musician's Friend but you can try out the pedals and return what you don't like. I've done this with them a couple of times and tested about 6 different pedals. There is not a shop anywhere near me that would have these pedals in stock so I am in the same situation as you are.

I discovered that I don't like long boards and most direct drives. I now play a DW 9000 that I've had for several years and recently changed the chain to strap drive. It doesn't feel much different but I like it. I also recently bought a Trick PRO 1v shortboard to use on my Roland ekit and love it. I have a second on order to replace the DW 9000 on my acoustic set. It's the only direct drive I have been able to play. I had a Pearl Demon Drive and the DW MDD and moved on from both. The trick has a large range of adjustment and is easy to set up. Very well built.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
This.

I've had a 5k for decades and it's just rock solid. Then I got a Tama King Beat from a buddy and found it weird at first. Not only because of the compression spring, but the direct drive linkage.

I suspect the Ludwig Speed King would be much the same feel.

I'm back to the 5k.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I have one of the Trick pro v pedals. Hate it. Messed with it for untold hours.

DW 9000 and you'll never need another pedal.