Travis Barker Signature Drum Set! Reviews? Comments?

Dude, I'll be honest. I think you just like STUFF. Nothing wrong with that, not at all. But at some point you gotta stop worrying about buying stuff and start working on your stuff. Ya dig?

Dude, I'll be honest. I think you just like STUFF. Nothing wrong with that, not at all. But at some point you gotta stop worrying about buying stuff and start working on your stuff. Ya dig?

It'll come eventually. I think every drummer likes to talk shop, but the complete fixation on gear starts to go away as the drummer focuses more on the drumming itself. It just takes practice and experience which, I'm reluctant to say, Joey doesn't seem to have a lot of yet.

I'm not reluctant at all.This kid is at best a beginner and a serious gear head,who I think as I like to say,wants the bling more than the bang.The Idea and the fantasy ,is more powerful than the desire to practise to be a great drummer.Sorry to say but I think he spends more time looking at his stuff than playing it...just my opinion.

Steve B

\ I think he spends more time looking at his stuff than playing it...just my opinion.

Steve B

Not an opinion. The truth. I don't get to play, because my father hates drumming and punk-ish music, and thinks I'm on drugs (I'm not). I get drug tested almost 3 times a month, and I haven't even tried anything yet! He is very overprotective, which is why I'm starting to turn into a kid who goes out late at night to hang out with girls and skateboard because: "Drums are a loud obnoxious instrument no one wants to hear."
I don't want to quit, but whats the point of owning a kit if I can't play it, which I haven't for the past 2 months because of his thinking.
I have literally tried everything to kiss-ass a bit, but whenever he even catches sight of one of my drums not "Stacked" in the corner of my room he freaks out and starts this whole fight with me to where I'm *THIS* close to actually snapping and losing it.

I have literally tried everything to kiss-ass a bit,

Don't "kiss arse"....just explain. Show him your passion for the instrument. Best way to do this is to practice and improve.....not by blowing a fortune by buying new shit every 15 minutes.

I know he won't let you play at home, and I know that, that is difficult. But so what......there are ways around it. Grab a pad and a pair of sticks. Pay for some lessons and play your teachers kit there. Don't tell me you can't do that? Or find a friend with a basement and slip him some coin to practice there....even once or twice a week.

At the moment, your old man is seeing your approach to drumming much like the forum members here. We don't think you're particularly serious....and we don't even know you. What hope has a man who has known you from birth got? He's seeing a kid who 'says' he's keen, but doesn't really display much by way of showing any real desire to improve. Show him that this actually means something to you, by doing everything you can to improve.....kit or no kit, there's plenty you can work on in the meantime. Who knows.......once he sees that this is something that inspires you, as opposed to this weeks new trend, he may re-evaluate his position and relent.

Change your old man's mindset.....it can be done, but I reckon you'll have to change your own first. :)

Don't "kiss arse"....just explain. Show him your passion for the instrument. Best way to do this is to practice and improve.....not by blowing a fortune by buying new shit every 15 minutes.

I know he won't let you play at home, and I know that, that is difficult. But so what......there are ways around it. Grab a pad and a pair of sticks. Pay for some lessons and play your teachers kit there. Don't tell me you can't do that? Or find a friend with a basement and slip him some coin to practice there....even once or twice a week.

At the moment, your old man is seeing your approach to drumming much like the forum members here. We don't think you're particularly serious....and we don't even know you. What hope has a man who has known you from birth got? He's seeing a kid who 'says' he's keen, but doesn't really display much by way of showing any real desire to improve. Show him that this actually means something to you, by doing everything you can to improve.....kit or no kit, there's plenty you can work on in the meantime. Who knows.......once he sees that this is something that inspires you, as opposed to this weeks new trend, he may re-evaluate his position and relent.

Change your old man's mindset.....it can be done, but I reckon you'll have to change your own first. :)

When I said I was going to Guitar Center and needed a ride, he freaked out and started screaming at me. I got on my bike and rode 8 miles to go get s new pad because my dad took my other one away, because he said he's sick of music because musicians all turn out bad...
It's hard really. I can't wait until I get out of here.

Ah, the old unsupportive parent. I'm glad to have never known the pain. I really don't know what to say to try to help except that, considering everything that you just said as well as everything previously stated by myself and almost every member of this board, now is a very bad time to buy a new kit. Possibly the worst time ever.

What happens when you get your $2000+ instrument home and your dad just goes and takes it away? Then what? Will you be better off? No, you'll have just sunk a small fortune into something you can't even use.

Instead, focus on school as priority numbers one, two, and three. Find a secret place to get away and just hit the pad. Repeat until you move out. By then you'll have a better idea of what you want not only out of a kit, but also out of your life.

Ah, the old unsupportive parent. I'm glad to have never known the pain. I really don't know what to say to try to help except that, considering everything that you just said as well as everything previously stated by myself and almost every member of this board, now is a very bad time to buy a new kit. Possibly the worst time ever.

What happens when you get your $2000+ instrument home and your dad just goes and takes it away? Then what? Will you be better off? No, you'll have just sunk a small fortune into something you can't even use.

Instead, focus on school as priority numbers one, two, and three. Find a secret place to get away and just hit the pad. Repeat until you move out. By then you'll have a better idea of what you want not only out of a kit, but also out of your life.

No, he thing is is that it's MY money. So he payed for HIS car with HIS money. I payed for MY drums with MY money. I will take the drums when I get them and put them into his car and leave.
Nice little taste of his own medicine...

Okay...
Lets see if by some odd chance getting some new blood into this is going to help at all, one 15 year old to another.

I play at 3 masses at church on every Sunday. My Saturdays are usually taken up by weddings that I play for, sometimes the ceremony, sometimes the reception, a lot of times both. I'v played in clubs and bars i shouldn't be allowed to get into, and yet my next door neighbor, (who owns the local music school), argues to get me in and be allowed to play... Would i love a 2500$ kit, yes. Do I own one? No. I'm playing my $350 off-brand kit, and, as of right now, have no problems doing so. The best part of the kit are the hats. 13" new beats. The crash and ride (Thats right, I only have one of each, hard to imagine, isn't it, Joey?) are both of Zildjians lower lines... I am perfectly content with what I currently play. And now were talking about "stealing" parents cars because they're un supportive? This has gone on much to long.

I'v seen both your kit and your current cymbal lineup. I'd kill for what you have now, don't go looking for more, because you think what your playing isn't good enough. The best way to sound better is to play better.

Then again, I'm just repeating what everyone else has said. But is one more person's opinion gonna kill anyone? I hope not.

Okay...
Lets see if by some odd chance getting some new blood into this is going to help at all, one 15 year old to another.

I play at 3 masses at church on every Sunday. My Saturdays are usually taken up by weddings that I play for, sometimes the ceremony, sometimes the reception, a lot of times both. I'v played in clubs and bars i shouldn't be allowed to get into, and yet my next door neighbor, (who owns the local music school), argues to get me in and be allowed to play... Would i love a 2500$ kit, yes. Do I own one? No. I'm playing my $350 off-brand kit, and, as of right now, have no problems doing so. The best part of the kit are the hats. 13" new beats. The crash and ride (Thats right, I only have one of each, hard to imagine, isn't it, Joey?) are both of Zildjians lower lines... I am perfectly content with what I currently play. And now were talking about "stealing" parents cars because they're un supportive? This has gone on much to long.

I'v seen both your kit and your current cymbal lineup. I'd kill for what you have now, don't go looking for more, because you think what your playing isn't good enough. The best way to sound better is to play better.

Then again, I'm just repeating what everyone else has said. But is one more person's opinion gonna kill anyone? I hope not.

I don't want to sound like an A-Hole right now, but I WORK for what I have. Why don't you take the cash you get from the Weddings, bars, clubs, etc... and invest in a better setup?
I know my set up is good, and I'm still making it better, but it's my choice, and I don't feel there is anything wrong with doing so.
I find it odd people criticize me for buying this new kit, but when I work for what I have why not!?
Sorry for the attitude. I'm quite angry right now at my dad. Sorry if I do sound like a jerk, but I'm just very upset...

Im a freshman in high school. Collage is just four years down the road, and it's not cheap. I don't want to be one of the people that you read about because they owe a crap-load and student loans. I have eyed new setups, but i dont NEED one, slowly, im starting to get new cymbals, but my drums make noise when I hit them, so why should i spend money on new ones that do exactly the same thing?

Im a freshman in high school. Collage is just four years down the road, and it's not cheap. I don't want to be one of the people that you read about because they owe a crap-load and student loans. I have eyed new setups, but i dont NEED one, slowly, im starting to get new cymbals, but my drums make noise when I hit them, so why should i spend money on new ones that do exactly the same thing?

Thats true. Your parents aren't covering college for you?

No, he thing is is that it's MY money. So he payed for HIS car with HIS money. I payed for MY drums with MY money. I will take the drums when I get them and put them into his car and leave.
Nice little taste of his own medicine...

But, you live under HIS roof, oppressive as you may think it is. Follow the rules, ride it out, try to keep a good relationship going with him...hopefully you both can grow in your respective roles as father and son, and have a better relationship when you become an adult...

But, you live under HIS roof, oppressive as you may think it is. Follow the rules, ride it out, try to keep a good relationship going with him...hopefully you both can grow in your respective roles as father and son, and have a better relationship when you become an adult...

That's what he yells. "This is MY house, I make the rules, and no matter how hard you defy and rebel against me I will win this game!"
BTW: Wat does your "Signature" mean?

Your parents aren't covering college for you?

It is a fortunate person whose parents cover their education. I payed for mine.

In Washington (where I live) the price of higher education at our most prestigious state school has increased from $3,600/year when I started going to over $10k. This is for in state tuition ONLY. If you are in med or business figure another $1k/quarter on books and fees. The cost of graduate programs has gone up five fold. Med, business, and law jumped from $5k to $25k over this ten year period. My son is two months old and my wife and I project that we will need to set aside $400 per month for thd next 18 years to cover his college expenses. These projections are set up at an average rate of return, inflation, and tuition increase (none of which are congruent).

One look at these numbers and I don't need any new drums right now.

Last edited:
That's what he yells. "This is MY house, I make the rules, and no matter how hard you defy and rebel against me I will win this game!"

Sounds like you both have control issues--feeling like the situation is out of your control. The only way for you guys to resolve it, that I see, would be for you to have a conversation about it, and not just a yelling match.

BTW: Wat does your "Signature" mean?

PEWF....blah blah....nevermind.

Infact, I missed something outrageous.

I don't want to sound like an A-Hole right now, but I WORK for what I have. Why don't you take the cash you get from the Weddings, bars, clubs, etc... and invest in a better setup?

Excuse ME Joey, what the Dickens?! You WORK for your money, meaning Salt doesnt? If someone gets paid money for playing music at fifteen years old, they are working hard.
Working in the music industry is sometimes the hardest, most frustrating and underpaid and under appreciated work around. Thats why its so important to love it, and love it harder than the next guy. Thats why its so important to have the skills and experience to be able to make a living off music. The worst day making music is better than the best day in an office.

Back