Travis Barker Signature Drum Set! Reviews? Comments?

Joey182

Silver Member
Travis Barker is one of the most publicized drummers of todays day and age! He covers hip-hop and rap songs and is currently in the band Blink-182! Not to mention the previous bands such as The Transplants, Feeble, +44, Boxcar Racer, and many others! What are your opinions on OCDP selling and producing the Travis Barker drum set?

Attachments

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
He's a fine drummer, and obviously you dig him, but.....

Seeing the kit in person, it looks cheap TBO.

The other lower priced kits they have are nicer IMO (it's too bad they don't offer some of those kits with any options on sizes).

The finish looks really cheap, and good luck trying to re-sell it and get a decent price for it.
Personally, I don't really care about the re-sale on my stuff because I really decide if I want something before I shell out the dough, so if someone loves the kit, I'd say go for it-- but it's a novelty at best.

Not too keen on the oversized front hoop but whatever. It's for looks and nothing else, and that's just fine.

OCDP has sold other TB type kits too, but this is the first "signature" kit they have marketed.
I liked his RSB sparkle striped kit better.

Joey182

Silver Member
I hear what you mean. But to be quite honest I kind of liked the wrap on them! Lots of people don't but to be honest I liked it! The doublewide hoop on the front is strictly for looks, but to some people (audience) it looks awesome! For someone that is going to start gigging, a cool- looking set is a MUST. I have the Gretsch Catalina Maple in the deep amber stain, and its not going to cut it looks-wise on stage for my music (pop punky likeBlink 182 and that sort).

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, the configuration is pretty timeless, so in regular drumset mode it wouldn't be a bad kit. Not sure I like that front hoop though.

This is kinda' like other signature kits being offered these days, and manufacturers don't seem to apologize about it either. Carmine Appice has a signature kit, which is pretty cheap and I'm sure Carmine doesn't play it. And Sonor offers the Phil Rudd kit, which he doesn't play either. In both cases they just look like what their respective artists play, but they're skimped on to make them cheap for public consumption. I'm not sure I get along with this practice. Paul Stanley from KISS was made a signature guitar and they made both an authentic one and a cheap one. Guess which one he demolishes at the end of his show?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Short answer:.......I love Chad Smith. I'm a HUGE Chili Peppers fan and a huge fan of the man himself.

That said, I think his "signature" Pearl kit is a cheaply made peice of entry level junk that will unfortunately, rob blind, the mums and dads of all the kids who buy into "fantasy" that if they buy this rubbish, they'll play like Chad.

Now just apply that same logic to the TB kit, and you pretty much have my thoughts.

Unlike many of my DW brothers, I have no issue with Travis.....I quite like his playing and don't really care that the myth is bigger than the man......but when Travis starts using his sig kit, then I may consider it too. Until then.........I honestly think you can do better. :)

Joey182

Silver Member
Short answer:.......I love Chad Smith. I'm a HUGE Chili Peppers fan and a huge fan of the man himself.

That said, I think his "signature" Pearl kit is a cheaply made peice of entry level junk that will unfortunately, rob blind, the mums and dads of all the kids who buy into "fantasy" that if they buy this rubbish, they'll play like Chad.

Now just apply that same logic to the TB kit, and you pretty much have my thoughts.

Unlike many of my DW brothers, I have no issue with Travis.....I quite like his playing and don't really care that the myth is bigger than the man......but when Travis starts using his sig kit, then I may consider it too. Until then.........I honestly think you can do better. :)
Your right about the Chad Smith set! Its actually a Pearl Forum re-wrapped with a somewhat cool finish.
NOW what kit do your recommend I consider? I play Blink style stuff and my limit is 800$. I'm not a HUGE fan of TAMA (sorry Bo), or Mapex. Just me though! Help me?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
NOW what kit do your recommend I consider? I play Blink style stuff and my limit is 800$. I'm not a HUGE fan of TAMA (sorry Bo), or Mapex. Just me though! Help me?
That's your cross to carry old mate......what kit do you like?

Funny you should mention it, but I'm not a fan of Tama or Mapex either (nothing to do with the way they make kits, they have some quality options......I personally, just prefer other options...and for reasons that are applicable to no-one but me, to be honest).

Seriously, I play the same kit as you (Cat maples).....No, they ain't a high end kit (but neither is the TB sig....trust me!)....what's wrong with them?....they are easy to tune, sound great for their price and are a far superior option to a basic entry level kit with a "name drummer" plastered on them.

Personally, I'd stick with them.......at least until you have a better idea of what you're looking for. As the old saying goes "it's the Indian....not the arrow", mate. Master what you have and then look to move on. :)

Joey182

Silver Member
That's your cross to carry old mate......what kit do you like?

Funny you should mention it, but I'm not a fan of Tama or Mapex either (nothing to do with the way they make kits, they have some quality options......I personally, just prefer other options...and for reasons that are applicable to no-one but me, to be honest).

Seriously, I play the same kit as you (Cat maples).....No, they ain't a high end kit (but neither is the TB sig....trust me!)....what's wrong with them?....they are easy to tune, sound great for their price and are a far superior option to a basic entry level kit with a "name drummer" plastered on them.

Personally, I'd stick with them.......at least until you have a better idea of what you're looking for. As the old saying goes "it's the Indian....not the arrow", mate. Master what you have and then look to move on. :)
Well I believe you. But I WANT a 4 piece and a virgin bass drum. Sounds funky and a little OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). But thats one of my requirements. I play EXACTLY how the Travis kit is supposed to be setup (in the pic). and those are my standards! It HAS to look amazing on stage and people in the audience must say wow when they see it. The Travis kit doesn't exactly do that, but looks like it cost WAY more then it does! Any ideas?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I play EXACTLY how the Travis kit is supposed to be setup (in the pic). and those are my standards!
Any kit with the same tom config. can be set up "like Travis". Have a look around, there's a heap of better options around.

In fact, let's consider your Cat maples.....If you put the 10" tom to the left of your hats, the 12" up and the 16" down (ditch the 14" FT)....what have you got??....well knock me down with a feather, looks just like that TB kit, no? All you need is a few extra clamps and this config. could happen today!

It HAS to look amazing on stage and people in the audience must say wow when they see it.
Yet again, I'm drawn to a quote I once saw here on DW, by a very wise and very respected DW member......"As for members of the audience? They may or may not have been aware that there were some drums on stage"

Sage words.....don't kid yourself mate. Drummers are noted by their absence...or when they screw up....maybe even if they are good enough to blow a room apart.....but other than that, your singer and your guitarist will get the accolades...make no mistake about it. Your kit is more than likely only ever going to be noticed by another drummer. :)

The Travis kit doesn't exactly do that, but looks like it cost WAY more then it does! Any ideas?
Ever heard the old saying "looks can be deceiving?" You think it looks cool....I think it looks like a cheap peice of garbage...who's wrong and who's right? It's all perception mate.

Yeah, I have an idea.....may not mean it the "right" idea, but it's my idea nonetheless. Keep what you have now. Your kit is sound and it is solid. Upgrade when you have a clearer idea of what it is you want. But if my opinion is worth anything, then it's to say that, that TB kit is a rip off designed to sucker 10 year olds into getting their parents to fork over their hard earned on junk with little resale value.

You already have a better kit. Make the most of it.....at least until you have an idea of what you want out of the next kit....and "being like Travis" is not enough IMHO.

Enjoy your kit mate.......concentrate on playing! A good player can make anything sound great. :)

Wick

Unless you're a beginner, I would not suggest buying any of the kits Guitar Center has on display currently. The essential strategy is to put out affordable kits for people to buy for the holidays, so that kids can go and look and pick out what they want. Especially the Travis Barker. He's a good drummer and everything, but his style attracts the youth to him, and his merchandise.

And besides, its most likely not a model of his kid, I don't think a full endorser would have a kit of this magnitude.

On a final note, since OCDP is getting hit hard in the market, they have to make these preset kits, which are, for the most part, lower end quality kits.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Your right about the Chad Smith set! Its actually a Pearl Forum re-wrapped with a somewhat cool finish.
I'm cool with whatever you want to play. I wasn't saying it's a bad kit and I realize you have financial limitations, I was just pointing out the fact that whenever I see a signature set now, I wonder if the actual artist plays it. Apparently not, since so many companies crank out stuff that looks like what the artist plays. It'd be nice if they actually told you what the real guy does play. Phil Rudd of AC/DC plays Sonor's SQ2 drums along with his signature snare. No way you can get those drums for $399 (as I've seen advertised for the shell pack).

That said, if you're strapped for cash, I would look around alot deeper first. You may find drums built better by someone else, which in the long term, would be the better investment. I know quite a few guys from my college days who were so into Steve Gadd and Dave Weckl that they actually had similar kits in the same color (a little sad if you ask me). I can guarantee you that none of those guys are still playing those kits in public. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery yes, but being an out-right clone is, well, embarrassing.

Joey182

Silver Member
Any kit with the same tom config. can be set up "like Travis". Have a look around, there's a heap of better options around.

In fact, let's consider your Cat maples.....If you put the 10" tom to the left of your hats, the 12" up and the 16" down (ditch the 14" FT)....what have you got??....well knock me down with a feather, looks just like that TB kit, no? All you need is a few extra clamps and this config. could happen today!

Yet again, I'm drawn to a quote I once saw here on DW, by a very wise and very respected DW member......"As for members of the audience? They may or may not have been aware that there were some drums on stage"

Sage words.....don't kid yourself mate. Drummers are noted by their absence...or when they screw up....maybe even if they are good enough to blow a room apart.....but other than that, your singer and your guitarist will get the accolades...make no mistake about it. Your kit is more than likely only ever going to be noticed by another drummer. :)

Ever heard the old saying "looks can be deceiving?" You think it looks cool....I think it looks like a cheap peice of garbage...who's wrong and who's right? It's all perception mate.

Yeah, I have an idea.....may not mean it the "right" idea, but it's my idea nonetheless. Keep what you have now. Your kit is sound and it is solid. Upgrade when you have a clearer idea of what it is you want. But if my opinion is worth anything, then it's to say that, that TB kit is a rip off designed to sucker 10 year olds into getting their parents to fork over their hard earned on junk with little resale value.

You already have a better kit. Make the most of it.....at least until you have an idea of what you want out of the next kit....and "being like Travis" is not enough IMHO.

Enjoy your kit mate.......concentrate on playing! A good player can make anything sound great. :)
Your a brilliant man with everything you just said! Haha I love you and thanks! I will SERIOUSLY consider this now. But all money would be mine and I actually want this because of its "stage presence". Your right about singers and guitarists being notified, but its just for ME. The Gretsch is great and all but I think I could really go for something that I could really make WAY nicer. I already tricked out my Cats, but now I want new stuff because its been a little bit and I want to resort to the smaller but yet sweet looking kit. The Catalina looks like it belongs in a jazzy, soft mellow rock music scene, while the Travis kit looks like it BELONGS in a high- energy band and definitely sounds good. I have played it several times to my own tuning (I'm friends with the GC employees) and LOVED its sound. With my A customs, Z customs, and K's, and A's I think I can really make this kit awesome. Already have about 8 tom holders (independent, not cymbal stand supported) with tons of extra stands, clamps, and other drum hardware.

Ian

Silver Member
The Yamaha Rock Tour is a killer kit that comes in a 12, 16, 22 shell pack. I think you'll be satisfied with this as it sounds KILLER. That being said, look into others like the Meridian and M series by Mapex or PDP Platinum kits. Hey, the Ludwig Epic kits are awesome too! So are Gretsch Catalinas! I haven't even touched on the Tama or Pearl offerings...

Really, the world is your oyster if you want those sizes. Any of these kits can be found used in your price bracket. Hell, I've seen DW drums in 12, 16, 22 for about that price used. What do you WANT?

Joey182

Silver Member
The Yamaha Rock Tour is a killer kit that comes in a 12, 16, 22 shell pack. I think you'll be satisfied with this as it sounds KILLER. That being said, look into others like the Meridian and M series by Mapex or PDP Platinum kits. Hey, the Ludwig Epic kits are awesome too! So are Gretsch Catalinas! I haven't even touched on the Tama or Pearl offerings...

Really, the world is your oyster if you want those sizes. Any of these kits can be found used in your price bracket. Hell, I've seen DW drums in 12, 16, 22 for about that price used. What do you WANT?
I'm big on Virgin Bass drums (no tom mount), good finishes, recognized brands, and great craftsmanship! I'm not big on Mapex, PDP, Tama, or Yamaha. I love Pearl and I OWN a Gretsch Catalina! I want to upgrade, for a low price? Recommendations?

Florian

Gold Member
keep your cat maples....they'll sound better and will resale better over time. I wouldnt pee on an OCDP set if it was on fire.....

F

Joey182

Silver Member
keep your cat maples....they'll sound better and will resale better over time. I wouldnt pee on an OCDP set if it was on fire.....

F
hahaha I like that one! I think my signature will be "I wouldn't pee on "name a set" set if it was on fire! What brand should I put there besides OCDP?

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Pretty much all of OCDP's kits at GC can be summed up with:

"Flashy looks on a crappy drum kit".

Also, I believe that the "polishing a turd" expression is somewhat applicable as well. I've seen the hollow flake sparkle wrap in person, though, and it DID look cool...like a silver sparkle, but with multi-colored reflections. Not as durable-looking as a broken glass finish, which would look just as cool.

Joey182

Silver Member
Pretty much all of OCDP's kits at GC can be summed up with:

"Flashy looks on a crappy drum kit".

Also, I believe that the "polishing a turd" expression is somewhat applicable as well. I've seen the hollow flake sparkle wrap in person, though, and it DID look cool...like a silver sparkle, but with multi-colored reflections. Not as durable-looking as a broken glass finish, which would look just as cool.
What would you recommend though? See my previous replies for my standards!

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
What would you recommend though? See my previous replies for my standards!
If flashy looks are more important to you than an incredible-sounding kit, then I'd say go for the Travis kit, if it's what you want to be seen playing. With the proper heads and tuning, you can make just about any drum kit sound "passable", especially when miked for a live gig. If it floats your boat, then do it--I don't see any "more flashy" kits out there at the moment, especially in the under $800 range.

Personally, I consider sound before appearance. If I were you, I'd try to find a vintage Slingerland kit with 3-ply hardwood shells and a satin-flame finish. Those things sound great (except for the "duds"), are plenty flashy, and fit within your budget, if they're priced right for the times...

Check this one out, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Slingerland-Red-Satin-Flame-Drum-Set-w-Cases-/220711526238?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item33636e9f5e#ht_3663wt_1110

Joey182

Silver Member
If flashy looks are more important to you than an incredible-sounding kit, then I'd say go for the Travis kit, if it's what you want to be seen playing. With the proper heads and tuning, you can make just about any drum kit sound "passable", especially when miked for a live gig. If it floats your boat, then do it--I don't see any "more flashy" kits out there at the moment, especially in the under $800 range.

Personally, I consider sound before appearance. If I were you, I'd try to find a vintage Slingerland kit with 3-ply hardwood shells and a satin-flame finish. Those things sound great (except for the "duds"), are plenty flashy, and fit within your budget, if they're priced right for the times...

Check this one out, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Slingerland-Red-Satin-Flame-Drum-Set-w-Cases-/220711526238?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item33636e9f5e#ht_3663wt_1110
I've always hated satin flame! I have grown to like it a little but not too much. I hat to sound like one of "those rich kids", but looks are important in drumming, everyone knows that! One of the reasons why Travis is soooo famous is because of that exact reason! But I have heard wonderful things about Slingerlands! I was previously looking at a trade, My Cats for some guys 1969 Ludwig Standard! He said no 20 minutes before I got to his house! Sometimes your day can be ruined with a simple phone call!