Travis Barker pulling a Rick Allen

Looks like he is triggering an E snare with his left foot?

Can't really tell. There may be a snare backing track in there to help him out.

He is playing left handed as well, thats impressive. I think you are right about the e snare, near the end I saw a second bass drum beater that looked like the ones that was hitting downward like on some electric kits.

Very cool, although the way he held up his hurt arm really got on my nerves. It screams "hey, look at me."

Very cool, although the way he held up his hurt arm really got on my nerves. It screams "hey, look at me."

I'm guessing he tries to keep it as far away from his other hand as possible, since it would hurt like hell if he whacked it with a stick.

I'm guessing he tries to keep it as far away from his other hand as possible, since it would hurt like hell if he whacked it with a stick. Either that, or it might actually be semi-locked into place that way.

True... It just wouldn't get on my nerves as much if he left it down to his side or on his lap.

But either way, it would sure be a pain to have to learn how to play like that and he does a great job!

Reminds me a little of when Josh Freese broke his right leg and did a whole leg of a tour (hah, get it?) playing kick with his left and setting up two hihats (one open and one closed). I believe this was with A Perfect Circle.

He said that he finally started feeling comfortable playing left footed as the tour came to a close, but he definitely came out of it feeling like a stronger player.

The show must always go on!

edit: Found an old Modern Drummer piece that he wrote about his experience:
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72583&stc=1&d=1094309769

I broke a finger once (at my construction job) on my snare hand and couldn't grip my stick. I was gigging at night so I taped my stick to a good finger and played on.

What he's playing isn't all that amazing, though what I find impressive is the strength and intensity with which he's playing it.

Good effort from Travis. I tip my hat. But He has a long stride to catch Rick...If He wants to play the one-arm-drummer!

Attachments

• rick allen.jpg
    rick allen.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 879
I broke my right wrist two years ago and rigged up something just like this so I could continue playing at church. It's definitely a learning curve and takes a little getting use to but in the end helps improve you as a drummer. I like others don't get why he's holding his arm up, just let it hang to your side it will be out of the way. Unless he just wants to draw attention to the fact he's not using that hand.

Back