Travelling with the Hi-Hat

double bass man

Newbe to travelling with the drum kit.

Regarding the Hi-Hat stand. Do you take out the rod when travelling--or leave it in? The stand in question is made by Natal. What do you do?

Many thanks.

I break mine down, the rod goes inside the bottom part, I replace the top part and put it as low as it can go. It protects the rod from getting bent. The clutch and hi hat felts get screwed together and it goes in my cymbal bag.

I do as little break down as I can possibly get away with. Never really mess with the rod. Don't even usually fully collapse my normal cymbal stands.

In the rare event there just isn't space, I'll unscrew the rod and tape it to the side.

Unless I'm really crunched for space I leave the rod in and raise the upper portion to protect the rod as much as possible. I also keep the hi hat clutch on the top of the rod to keep the washers from falling off too.

Ditto.

I don’t break it, and I leave the clutch on it. I put an elastic band to keep the pedal against the folded leg. I have always had Tama hardware, and the bottom felt is glued, no risk to lose part.

Keep the clutch on the rod, fold up the legs (unless it was legless) and go.

I move the clutch to the top of the rod and unscrew the rod. When I dismantle the hi hat stand the rod fits inside the top part of the stand and the clutch keeps it there in transit. It lives in a travel hardware bag which is a snug fit once everything is in so it never moves.

Never had any problems just folding the stand up and putting it in the car before I got the single braced stuff that has its own bag. The bag footwell makes for an excellent stand storage compartment.

I unscrew the rod and put it upside down into the upper tube to protect it from bending. The clutch keeps the rod in place and that way the felt doesn't get lost.
DSC00515.JPG

Last edited:
Newbe to travelling with the drum kit.

Regarding the Hi-Hat stand. Do you take out the rod when travelling--or leave it in? The stand in question is made by Natal. What do you do?

Many thanks.

I take the rod and tube out - but that's primarily because of how things fit in my hardware bag. I went a long time not doing though.

Yeah, I just raise the inner tube past the rod, as well.

Unless I'm really crunched for space I leave the rod in and raise the upper portion to protect the rod as much as possible. I also keep the hi hat clutch on the top of the rod to keep the washers from falling off too.

Same here, both for local gigs and my touring kit.

Bermuda

Back