Transporting drumsets around the city with no car

Hey there. Small drums, lightest hardware you can find, and a sturdy folding cart or 2 wheeler. However, in NYC there are plenty of house kits and many clubs encourage or demand that they be used. Too bad as many of them are in terrible shape lol. Usually your cymbals, snare, and pedal are enough. Good luck!

Hi pieplaysdrums,

You are right about the house kits, hahaha. The thing that I hate the most is the bass drum. although it's only 18 inches. With the hardware I've manage to fit them in a small suitcase with wheels,which has helped me a lot.
What type of folding kart would you suggest? Any things that I should especially take in consideration? How do I know they work well with stairs?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Hello I live in NYC too (Brooklyn off the L train Wilson stop) and when I go busking I put my 18 inch kick in a 20inch bass drum. Case so that it's a loose fit, then I put my snare in the case as well on Top of the kick drum and rap it in a towel. My kick pedal also fits I. There as well. The. I zip that up. I don't take any toms so that accounts for the drums. I put my ride and hats in my cymbal bag. I put all my hardware and stands in a square suitcase. I have an industrial strength hand truck or "dolly" so to speak and 4 bungy cords. The hand truck has a 6 inch extension on the bottom. First I put the bass drum case on the dolly and use to bungy cords then cymbal bag and suitcase with 2 more bungy cords around the suitcase. That thing can go up stairs over bumps and on trains with no problems! Also if ur Playing jazz a lot of small jazz restaurants don't have kits although most jazz "clubs". I use this for those occasions as well. Most modern rock bars have kits. Check out the lit Lounge, pianos, the delancy, and the local if u need places to play and also if u have a band get on a bill with either the jazz trio or rock band I play in! It could be fun!

Hey Elpecs. I fortunately haven't had to schlep a kit by foot through NYC, I just know how my buddies do it. So as for what cart would be the best I'm not sure. Maybe google 2 wheel luggage carts? Best to ya.

Back