Traditional grip with left side cymbals

Godi

Hello

I'm trying to get into traditional grip and, in addition to hand control problems that I'm exercicing, I just don't know how to hit left side cymbals with the stick like that in left hand, specifically I don't know how to crash

Thanks in advance

iwearnohats

Silver Member
Hi Godi, best thing to do is angle the cymbals away from your left hand a bit so you get used to hitting them with the shoulder. Just experiment with it and you'll get it :)

Godi

Yes, I have been doing experiments and the one way I'm capable of hit the cymbals with the stick shoulder is put them near horizontal and half a meter higher than I usually have them, or, as you told, away of me, almost on top of the bass drum, but I don't remember seen any jazz drummer with the cymbals like this, so I'm starting to think that simply I can't do that and better don't try to crash with left hand

Morrisman

Platinum Member
You can do a backhand kind of thing with your palm facing upwards. Or hold your hand over the cymbal and strike the right hand edge from ‘inside’. Won’t be as loud as a matched grip crash, but can work if you have time to get your hand in position.

mrfingers

Crashing thin cymbals is easier than heavier, large cymbals using the shoulder of the stick perpendicular to the rt. side edge. If you watch some big name drummers, they hardly crash left handed as hard as right handed and when they do they hit smaller cymbals.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Buddy Rich would often opt to strike the left side crash with his right hand or strike it with the left stick changed to matched grip if he was playing a big ff roll on both cymbals at the end of a chart. Watching Louie Bellson I'd notice how he' do a sweeping glance on the left crash left hand in trad. grip on occassion since that cymbal was placed so far over.

WhoIsTony?

Crashing thin cymbals is easier than heavier, large cymbals using the shoulder of the stick perpendicular to the rt. side edge. If you watch some big name drummers, they hardly crash left handed as hard as right handed and when they do they hit smaller cymbals.
what?

not true at all ... not even a little bit

iwearnohats

Silver Member
Trad grip does present mobility issues for the first couple of years but you do eventually build up the flexibility and motion with it. Just be persistent

Skip forward to 3:45 if you don't believe you can hit cymbals hard with traditional grip :)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I tend to move my hand a little further out to the left and swing down "through" the cymbal when playing that way, essentially striking the left most edge... Looking at the way Tony does it, his seems more correct and might even sound better. I probably should keep my mouth shut since I rarely play trad unless I'm specifically looking for that sound.

WhoIsTony?

I tend to move my hand a little further out to the left and swing down "through" the cymbal when playing that way, essentially striking the left most edge... Looking at the way Tony does it, his seems more correct and might even sound better. I probably should keep my mouth shut since I rarely play trad unless I'm specifically looking for that sound.
Doc
That way absolutely works as well… It just depends on what’s happening and where you’re coming from... The position of your cymbal …what your intentions are etc.

Last edited: