Traditional grip and high tom

Supernoodle

I've just watched some of Tony Williams' videos. When you say "palm inwards", do you mean palm facing the tummy?
yeah, like maybe a little more inwards than 'handshake' position. Check out his 1985 clinic, part 1

To be honest I don't quite know how he did it! Same with Buddy's left hand, a bit of a mystery...

TK-421

In addition to your centered grip position, it appears that your stick is exceptionally long. Of course it’s very difficult to tell from the pic, so I could be wrong. But a normal stick length is about 16 inches. How long are those?

sciomako

Silver Member
In addition to your centered grip position, it appears that your stick is exceptionally long. Of course it’s very difficult to tell from the pic, so I could be wrong. But a normal stick length is about 16 inches. How long are those?
Nope. That's an illusion. It's a pair of ProMark Maple Jazz Cafe MJZ-11, the lightest sticks I could find on the market. (Diameter: 495." Length: 15-3/8") It looks long because it's very thin, close to chopstick level. :LOL:

Supernoodle

Found another clip where Tony Williams' technique can be seen clearly (at 1:23)

Looks like a lot of arm motion for singles on the floor tom!

sciomako

Silver Member
First revelation about traditional grip that no one has ever warned you about: your drumset needs to spread out sideway to accommodate the angle of left hand stick. :ROFLMAO:

Today I finally got the time to move the gears around. I can no longer cram the drums and HH close like they used to be. Let's hope the Missus doesn't notice I'm now occupying 20% more of the living room. 😅

Thanks guys for the thoughts and the links.

Stroman

Platinum Member
First revelation about traditional grip that no one has ever warned you about: your drumset needs to spread out sideway to accommodate the angle of left hand stick. :ROFLMAO:

Today I finally got the time to move the gears around. I can no longer cram the drums and HH close like they used to be. Let's hope the Missus doesn't notice I'm now occupying 20% more of the living room. 😅

Thanks guys for the thoughts and the links.
You're welcome. It's quite an adventure, eh?? :)

sciomako

Silver Member
Additional questio:

1. the tilt of the snare, do you guys tilt it sideway (with left side higher) or tilt it forward (with the drum head facing away from you)? I’m trying both but can’t make up my mind. 🤔

2. playing doubles. I can see there are options and variety of techniques, more than matched grip. I can’t make up my mind to leave the index finger on the stick or off the stick. Currently I’m practicing 16th’s at 120bpm and getting more even strokes if I lift my index finger off the stick.

EhhSoCheap

Additional questio:

1. the tilt of the snare, do you guys tilt it sideway (with left side higher) or tilt it forward (with the drum head facing away from you)? I’m trying both but can’t make up my mind. 🤔
“How to” traditional grip videos can be hit or miss, but I like this one:

It specifically addresses your first question early in the video