Traded the Dubs for a Tama Star Walnut

Scottie15

I got lucky. The StarClassic Bubinga Kit I’m picking up tomorrow retailed at $3700 Canadian, and I got it for $2400. I was hoping to get an add on Floor Tom for it, but no go.
Then why even bother with the Star Walnut lol. I'd just rock the Bubingas all day.

PaisteGuy

Then why even bother with the Star Walnut lol. I'd just rock the Bubingas all day.
Fair question. It’s a long story, and I won’t bore anyone here with it. Short version was the SC’s came up by fluke and at a good deal. The DW collectors where ok, but not what I was hoping tone wise. I’ve always wanted a Tama Star Kit since they came out, and I should’ve just ordered one at the outset. The SC bubinga’s are 8”x10”, 9”x12”, 14”x16” and 18”x22”. I’m all in on Tama now, Drums and Hardware.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Fair question. It’s a long story, and I won’t bore anyone here with it. Short version was the SC’s came up by fluke and at a good deal. The DW collectors where ok, but not what I was hoping tone wise. I’ve always wanted a Tama Star Kit since they came out, and I should’ve just ordered one at the outset. The SC bubinga’s are 8”x10”, 9”x12”, 14”x16” and 18”x22”. I’m all in on Tama now, Drums and Hardware.
Once you have them, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the differences/similarities in tone. The Tama Star Drums are outstanding.

myxtc

Funny, Long and Mc Quade WINNIPEG is my shop too, which One In Canada did You Buy it from? I was thinking to Oder one too same as you but with also a 13", I would still hesitate on the finish, maybe the one that was presented by DCP Porthmouth New Jersey on their video of the comparison between the 3 star drums....
DCP is in Portsmouth New Hampshire, Far cry from New Jersey : )

Quai34

Yes, of course, sorry, NH, New Hampshire...And I found the finish they had in Maple... gloss Sycamore... Not sure it's a special edition but that would be my color with the Maple or if it was the Bubinga, it would be the red viking... But limited edition too so, not sure you could have them now...That's always the case with me with the limited edition... My cash is always as limited as the edition when they are released...And when my cashmis less limited...well, no more edition...

TJK

Yes, of course, sorry, NH, New Hampshire...And I found the finish they had in Maple... gloss Sycamore... Not sure it's a special edition but that would be my color with the Maple or if it was the Bubinga, it would be the red viking... But limited edition too so, not sure you could have them now...That's always the case with me with the limited edition... My cash is always as limited as the edition when they are released...And when my cashmis less limited...well, no more edition...
You will not be disappointed they are some of the finest production drums you can buy

RickP

Gold Member
My local shop Drummers Hangout in Aurora Ontario has a Tama Star Walnut in Garnet Burst over Japanese Sen Wood outer veneer that is gorgeous and he is very motivated to sell . They are beautiful and sound fantastic . If someone wants a Tama Star kit they should reach out .

Darth Vater

My local shop Drummers Hangout in Aurora Ontario has a Tama Star Walnut in Garnet Burst over Japanese Sen Wood outer veneer that is gorgeous and he is very motivated to sell . They are beautiful and sound fantastic . If someone wants a Tama Star kit they should reach out .
Gloss or semi gloss/matte ? Not that I'm buying just curious. Although that would be my ultimate "3rd kit". lol

Darth Vater

Pretty. Kind of like a blue/grey. I don't think I've ever seen that color. The only finish I don't really care for is the charcoal. I'm thinking next year around this time I might want to get a set. I have 4 sets right now and might want to thin the herd a bit.