Trade live custom oaks for absolute hybrid maple?

kkor

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to trade my live customs for an absolute hybrid maple. The only thing is its a 4 piece without the snare vs my 5 piece with matching snare and a bit more cash. I have an recording custom snare so im not too worried about the lack of snare. Are the absolute hybrids that much better or should I just keep the live customs. Hybrids do seem to sound pretty darn good, but I do still like the oaks. Just wanted to get some more opinions, thanks!

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Live Oak owner here too. Tough call, the new hybrids are beautiful looking drums. Have you played them? Do you like the hook lugs? To me the oaks are a great workhorse kit, built well, sound great not cheap by any means but I don't worry too much about bringing them to gigs. With the hybrids and the difference in costs I might be a bit more cautious. Just a thought.

Groov-E

Silver Member
I own a set of hybrids.

I went shopping with the firm intention of buyng the LC set that was there after playing a few, but I a/b'd the Live custom and the hybrids (and the Tama B/B on the same floor) and got the hybrids for 4 reasons (22-10-12-16):

- lighter than the LCs which were smaller (20-10-12-14);

- Dynamic and tuning range (sensitive at low volume and never choke or saturate at higher level) whereas the LCs seemed better suited for higher level;

- Aluminium die-cast hoops;

- LDS made me a great deal (under 800$CAD for the MH vs LCs) and the finishes are flawless..

The lugs are absolutely no problem. If anything, it makes changing heads a breeze and I think they look great.

Only con is add-ons are a helluvalot more expensive. 1250$CAD for a 18x14 bd and 700$ a floor tom. Add-ons for companies and shops is like shooting fish in a barrel, no deal whatsoever to be made in my experience. You are basically stuck between buying a whole new kit for less than 2 add-ons !

Resale value is what to be expected for Yamaha, exemplary.

Groov-E

Silver Member
- LDS made me a great deal (under 800$CAD for the MH vs LCs) and the finishes are flawless..
Just to make sure, I was trying to say the difference between the LCs and HM was under 800$CAD.

I just cleaned them yesterday, they are great drums, period.